• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ronniedeb's 2015 season

Well my list gets bigger year on year. 

Chinense
1. CGN21566 BRAZIL
2. CGN21500 BRAZIL
3. Tobago Sweet TOBAGO
4. Scotch Brain USA
5. Bahamian Goat BAHAMAS
6. Fatalii CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
7. Cumari du Para BRAZIL
8. PI257176 PERU
9. Pickersgill Orange BRAZIL
10. Tucurrique Yellow COSTA RICA
11. Puerto Rican Yellow PUERTA RICO
12. Belize Scotch Bonnet BELIZE
13. Mako Akokosrade GHANA
14. Coyote Zan White BRAZIL
15. UBSC Brown USA
16. Bhut Orange Copenhagen DENMARK
17. PI281317 TRINIDAD
18. Guwahati Bhut INDIA
19. Pimenta Puma ITALY
20. Cajamarca PERU
21. Morango BRAZIL
22. Pimenta Bico BRAZIL
23. Pimenta Tekila BRAZIL
24. Pimenta Ouro BRAZIL
25. Pimenta Salar BRAZIL
26. CAP691 UNKNOWN
27. Elysium Oxide Bonnet USA
28. Pimenta Lisa NETHERLANDS
29. Brown Egg CGN22856 NETHERLANDS/BOLIVIA

Baccatum
1. Pimenta Barra Ribeiro BRAZIL
2. Aji Norteno PERU
3. Aji Verde PERU
4. Aji Cristal CHILE
5. PI 199506 Guyana GUYANA
6. Aji Fantasy FINLAND
7. CGN22871 UNKNOWN

Annuum
1. Kapia Pepper HUNGARY
2. Fiesta F1 Pepper ??
3. Aconcagua ARGENTINA
4. Poblano MEXICO
5. Amish Bush USA
6. CAP253 UNKNOWN
7. CAP1473 UNKNOWN
8. Donne Sali GUAM
9. Chihuacle Negro MEXICO
10. De Arbol MEXICO
11. Gochu KOREA
12. Jalapeno 1 
13. Jalapeno 2
14. Jalapeno 3
15. Jalapeno 4

Frutescens
1. Indiana Pequin USA
2. Thai Bird’s Eye THAILAND
3. Pi281353 MARIANA ISLANDS
4. Spicegeist’s Frutescens USA
5. Lotah Bih INDIA

Wild
1. Cumari Verdadeira (Capsicum praetermissum) BRAZIL
2. Capsicum galapagoense GALAPAGOS
3. Ulupica (Capsicum cardenasii) BOLIVIA/PERU
4. Capsicum flexuosum PARAGUAY/BRAZIL/ARGENTINA
5. Capsicum tovarii PERU
6. Capsicum lanceolatum GUATEMALA/MEXICO/HONDURAS
7. Capsicum eximium ARGENTINA/BOLIVIA

Pubescens
1. Giant Mexican Rocoto MEXICO

Also hope to overwinter a few varieties. Quite chinense-heavy this year. Also a lot of Brazilian varieties.

Thanks to all those who sent seeds to me. It is much appreciated, and is what makes these forums great!

Pods have begun trickling in. Nice to try some new varieties. 

Guyana PI199506

These definitely get longer than this according to various sources. Nice tasty pod. On the savoury rather than the fruity/floral baccatum side, almost annuum like. Look forward to trying more of these.

Pimenta Puma. This plant looks like it will produce well despite being in a tiny hempy pot. These pods are a little undersized still I reckon. 

Pickersgill Orange

Tuccurrique Yellow

This is one of our aphid parasitising friends, I think. 

I thought this 3 year old Lemon Drop was dead. This year's growth had yellowed and stalled. It seems to be starting again. 

3 year old Blondie is heavy with pods now. 

UBSC Brown ripened some tiny pods. Hopefully these ones can reach a proper size. 

Not sure if they will look like the pods from PIC1's parent plant though:

Lotah Bih

CAP1473

My windowsill plants this year are:
Belize Scotch Bonnet. This one grew a bit lop-sided, towards the sun, on the west facing windowsill.

Mako Akokosrade. Out of focus!  :oops: Again, this has ripenened a few small pods, but just starting to form decent sized ones. 

Coyote Zan White. Has only started to set pods now. 

Pimenta Puma

Plants and peppers look awesome. I grew the ubsc brown/chocolate from pic1 last year and I am growing it again this year. My pods looked just like the ones you posted of pic1's last year if it helps. Wickedly awesome peppers, hard to find anything hotter.

Spicegeist said:
Looking good...
Cheers Charles!
FreeportBum said:
Plants and peppers look awesome. I grew the ubsc brown/chocolate from pic1 last year and I am growing it again this year. My pods looked just like the ones you posted of pic1's last year if it helps. Wickedly awesome peppers, hard to find anything hotter.
Thanks! Good to hear. I don't know if mine will follow that shape. They look to be a little more elongated. 
Essegi said:
Those yellow/orange pods have really a lovely colour. :)
Thanks Essegi!

Glad to see the Lotah Bih doing well for you Ronan, it's a great pepper for making Louisiana-style hot sauce, and I think it has a bit more bite than Tabascos. Those Guyana PI199506 look interesting, especially if they taste different than the general run of Baccatums. Cheers!

stickman said:
Glad to see the Lotah Bih doing well for you Ronan, it's a great pepper for making Louisiana-style hot sauce, and I think it has a bit more bite than Tabascos. Those Guyana PI199506 look interesting, especially if they taste different than the general run of Baccatums. Cheers!

Thanks Rick! I will make my mind up conclusively on the Guyana after tasting some more late summer pods, but I've liked the few I've tried so far. 

Trident chilli said:
Great update Ronan and really pleased your plants are producing pods ... great varieties .. The Belize Bonnet was that from the pod I sent you

Thanks John. Yes they were from your pods! I have a pod ripening, so I'll post a photo as soon as it's ripe. 

Well, after a promising few days of weather, it's turned grey and misty here again. This seems to be the summer that never started. Longest day of the year today! :roll: 

Nevertheless plants are plodding along. 
 Jalapeno PS11435810. 

Zoltan's Paprika

Giant Mexican Rocoto 

Just started to flower

Overwintered Rocoto Montufar (PI 585273) is a little behind.

Guampinho de Veado has started setting some pods

Bhut Orange Copenhagen not looking very Bhut-like

UBSC Brown now has lots of pods

Can't get enough of the Blondie pods. Beautiful. Tricky to know when they are ripe though.

A fellow Allotmenteer gave me a little Pink Tiger. Hopefully I can get some fruit this year. 

Some pods harvested this week

Brown Egg. A small pod, but such an unusual shape. 

CGN21566. Small pod again, a lovely colour progression and end shape though. 

Aji Verde

Havent tried any of these new pods. Gonna do a taste test tonight!

Nice money shots Ronan! I'm a bit jealous that you're getting ripe pods now, but you've worked hard to get them and deserve them. :)  Very nice looking Manzano. I forget, have you grown or sampled any pods from them before?

John (trident chile) reminded me that you've grown Mako Akokrosade... do you think these green pods might be that? The plant came from a seed in a packet labeled Orange 7-Pot, so I think it might be either a pure MA that got mixed up with other seeds or a cross with the 7-Pot. Whatever it's genetics, it's a beast and looks fair to out-produce every Chinense I have planted this season.
SANY0157_zpssan7n6df.jpg

stickman said:
Nice money shots Ronan! I'm a bit jealous that you're getting ripe pods now, but you've worked hard to get them and deserve them. :)  Very nice looking Manzano. I forget, have you grown or sampled any pods from them before?

John (trident chile) reminded me that you've grown Mako Akokrosade... do you think these green pods might be that? The plant came from a seed in a packet labeled Orange 7-Pot, so I think it might be either a pure MA that got mixed up with other seeds or a cross with the 7-Pot. Whatever it's genetics, it's a beast and looks fair to out-produce every Chinense I have planted this season.
SANY0157_zpssan7n6df.jpg

Thanks Rick. Sorry to be slow to get back to you. They don't look far off my Mako pods. Mine are in a very small Hempy bucket, so may be a little undersized. This is them: 

Bear in mind that there are two different Mako Akokosrade. Nigel Carter reviewed both:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbfx5lEbX60

ronniedeb said:

Thanks Rick. Sorry to be slow to get back to you. They don't look far off my Mako pods. Mine are in a very small Hempy bucket, so may be a little undersized. This is them: 

Bear in mind that there are two different Mako Akokosrade. Nigel Carter reviewed both:

Thanks Ronan, Mine don't quite look the same as yours or the ones Nigel reviewed...  the surface of the pods looks more irregular so they're probably a cross of some kind. It'll be interesting to see what they're like when they ripen. They're the most prolific Chinense I have growing, so there'll certainly be a lot of 'em. Cheers!

Had meant to post this update last week but never got around to it, so here goes a week later:
Super depressing weather here. Just when it seems like we might get some consistent sun, the weather turns for the worse. Grey and Rainy all day. 
This season is definitely behind on previous seasons.   :cry:

This is what the greenhouse looked like this time last year:

This year, albeit from a slightly different angle:

Far less growth than I would want. You can see a lot more clay pebbles in this year's photo. 
Here are some photos of the plants in the greenhouse:

CGN21500. Seems to be concentrating on being bushy rather than gaining any height or flowering.  :roll: 

Scotchbrain is not much better:

CGN21566 is doing well, despite being rather skinny and tall:

Pimenta Barro do Ribeiro in a hempy bucket is just starting to get going again after the initial few pods. 

Fatalii is pretty small.

Bahamian Goat recovered from complete defoliation.

Tobago Sweet suffered from the Ebb pump being disconnected for a few days. Dropped most of it's big leaves. 

Baccatums are doing a little better

Aji Fantasy has only a few pods, but about to set a load more flowers. 

Aji Norteno looks well.

In amongst the Baccatums in Ebb and Flood, I put a Cumari du Para, temporarily. Looks healthy. No pods yet though. I've left it a little longer than I would have liked though. Need to remove it this week.

CGN22871 doing alright:

Aji Cristal hidden behind it:

Aji Verde not looking the best:

Pimenta Bico in Hempy Bucket

That is depressing indeed but glad you got a greenhouse to get at least some heat. It's only July so things can get better the next couple months :)

meatfreak said:
That is depressing indeed but glad you got a greenhouse to get at least some heat. It's only July so things can get better the next couple months :)

Thanks for the encouragement Stefan. I hope so. 

Still grey and very wet here.  It's disheartening when you look out to see the greenhouse auto-vent closed in July. Temps in there are 15 Celsius. 

Nonetheless harvesting enough pods to keep myself going:

Hoverfly in a Pimenta Lisa Flower

Some seeds I sowed a few weeks ago have germinated, so I will have some overwintering to do. CAP213, Ulupica, Pi4411654, and a CAP500!

First ever Fatalii pod set!!

Here are some photos of the 6 plants I put in the allotment communal polytunnel in 39 litre rhizopots
OW Blondie (Year 3). This set loads of pods early on. Is now starting to put on some vertical growth from stem after having an almost cascading growth period early in the season. 

OW Guampinho de Veado (Year 2). This has set loads of pods now and like the Blondie is starting to grow upwards.

OW Trepadeira de Werner (Year 2)  is sprawling, almost like a groundcover plant. Plenty of pods set. 

UBSC Brown pods are starting to reach a more desirable size.

I've also put some more plants in smaller pots in an empty space in the communal tunnel
CAP1473 (with a skinny Pimenta Tekila to the right)

ronniedeb said:

Still grey and very wet here.  It's disheartening when you look out to see the greenhouse auto-vent closed in July. Temps in there are 15 Celsius. 
Ouch, that's cold! Here in the night we are far higher than that and temps have lowered on that last 3 days.

Great looking pods, plants are loaded! I must remember to ask you later in the season if Giant Mexican Rocoto is a big plant... I plan to buy some seed of that one from Judy for nex season, even if here it's not ideal climate, maybe i'll keep one on pod and one on ground (i guess i'll buy that one and Locato to have an easy pubescens, maybe a third one).

Essegi said:
Ouch, that's cold! Here in the night we are far higher than that and temps have lowered on that last 3 days.

Great looking pods, plants are loaded! I must remember to ask you later in the season if Giant Mexican Rocoto is a big plant... I plan to buy some seed of that one from Judy for nex season, even if here it's not ideal climate, maybe i'll keep one on pod and one on ground (i guess i'll buy that one and Locato to have an easy pubescens, maybe a third one).

Hey, thanks Essegi. I got the seeds of the Giant Mexican Rocoto in a swap, so dont know if they are the same as Judy's. I can send you on some seed if I have any left, along with some other pubescens if you like. I'll have a look what I have and send you on a list in PM. 

Back