• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sandwich of the Month

Hey y'all. A recent discussion with THP about Cuban sandwich's in another thread has inspired me to begin this thread.

What is a sandwich? According to wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich

I myself shall endeavor to post a Sandwich of the Month for every month. This month I tip my hat to one of my favorite sandwiches, The Cuban.

While I encourage y'all to post up your Cuban for SOTM, for the sake of popularizing the thread, feel free to post your sandwich. Be it BLT, turkey sub, gyro, po'boy, etc.

Some rules.

1 ~ Meet the criteria as linked above according to wiki.

2 ~ True, burgers are sandwiches but as we have other threads devoted to them, we will not include them here in this thread. No burgers.

3 ~ List ingredients and methods of how the sandwich was put together.

4 ~ No matter if it is a classic reuben or tuna salad, include a heat ingredient.

5 ~ Pics are mandatory. Talk is cheap. Show us the money!

6 ~ No tortillas. We have taco threads already, and that also means no stinkin' "wraps".

7 ~ Have fun.

I'll post up my sandwich shortly.

Bon appetit!

Nah ... fear of time-suck ...
JayT said:
I really think he is threatening us!

11295649_10206820327576003_8776671761950875113_n.jpg

Alright.

Danielle decided to nap, so I'm about to get it "On" =)

Time to make a mess and stink up the spot.

It's not REALLY a success unless she comes out to give me the stank eye ...

I'm going to Monte Cristo a Cuban.

Here's the thing, I've never Monte Cristo'd anything ...

I think it's like Tempura and French toast got it on, and I have Benton's and killer pepper jelly, as well as some of that nasty French's mustard which I typically only use to rub my meat =)

I think we even have powdered shugz, maybe ...

I wouldn't mind if you skipped the mustard with all that going on but do your thing.

I reckon that I'd like to be liking a deep fried Cuban.

With the mustard and throw on an extry slice of scheeze.

The most intelesting 'thang is the question of the batter.

Beer batter?

Tempura/panko?

Man Batter?

Egg wash and flour/corn flour?

And you might have to smash the hell out of the sammich to keep it from falling apart in the fryer

or you might have to 'rassel it and hog tie the 'dern 'thang.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431904896.740876.jpg

Let's give it hell ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431904930.876007.jpg

SF's BBQ smelled like it would compliment the Benton's cure ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431904996.880082.jpg

Switched to tempura, because I added cold Ten Fidy and I know this batter wants to be used light, with clumps ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431905061.750427.jpg

Ham smells great ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431905086.418237.jpg

Fire jelly, seriously ... and the end of the cave-funk gruyere ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431905128.587297.jpg

Looks happy, time to de-glaze w/ Ten Fidy ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431905154.638709.jpg

Cuban bread stubborn to take on batter through crust, should have soaked first in hindsight ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431905215.626068.jpg

Cooked it, lowered to 4.5 on the knob ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431905285.712747.jpg

Looks pretty ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431905306.530655.jpg

Tasty, hottern' hell, but not really picking up much from the batter - probably because it's not really been absorbed all that much ...

Still, quite tasty ...

... but nothing like Benigan's =(

cypresshill1973 said:
Holy shiit!!!

You add jelly and sugar???

I did think better... Maybe is good

https://johnsonberryfarm.com/product/el-diablos-raspberry-spit-beyond-hot/

and a little powdered sugar on top ...

here's how I'd remix this, and make it better ...

cut nice chunky 1" sections of the bread ... let them get a little bit stale on purpose, open air for a day or two or whatever ... stiffen ...

soak them in the batter so that their crumb sides are up and down more like french toast ...

the flavors are dope, but my execution of 'french toasting' was almost nonexistent through the bread's crust ...

live and learn ...

grantmichaels said:
... but nothing like Benigan's =(
LOL I worked there as a kid and ate the monte cristo all the time. Dipped it in the raspberry preserves. Boom!

The Hot Pepper said:
LOL I worked there as a kid and ate the monte cristo all the time. Dipped it in the raspberry preserves. Boom!

I didn't want to deep fry and was willing to end up more French toast-like for this instance, but it just needed a lot more of it to come through to get in the ballpark of  venerable childhood icon, that is the Benigan's Monte Cristo - one of my favorite things ever.

It's the best one I've ever had. Up here they just make french toast and layer it with ham turkey and swiss. Booooooo. That Bennigan's one is da bomb.

The Hot Pepper said:
It's the best one I've ever had. Up here they just make french toast and layer it with ham turkey and swiss. Booooooo. That Bennigan's one is da bomb.

I'll get it done later this week, I think.

Now I'm somewhat frenzied to have it.
Let's all take a pause for a moment ...

Appetizer-Monte-Cristo.jpg

#religion

Yessir.... as I remember but thought the cheese was swiss... but all I remember is srarfing them down, delicious.

American Cheese ... and, I mean, yes ... magic. Has to be done.

Looks like it's "club'd" too ... there's a slice in the middle, and turkey on the other side, right? ...

I prefer ham and turkey, too. So, that's good.

Bennigan's perfected the Monte Cristo, toasted ravioli, and the Broccoli Bite. 

Sadly, they've all gone out of business down here. 
The place used to be jammin' when I was little, and I always wished I could "happy hour" there. 

My grandpa (RIP) used to order an Old Fashioned....extra cherries. 2 for 1 if you go early enough (and we did).
And a bartender named "Smitty" made the best Old Fashioned in Miami. 
So, the first question was always whether or not "Smitty" was working the bar that night. 
Gramps also used to walk into the kitchen, to our embarrassment, and pick out his own steak from the walk-in.

I've since looked up the Broccoli Bites recipe...maybe for a future posting...

That sounds so damn delicious right now!

Back