• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Scarlet Fire's 2012-2013 Glog updated 8/10/13

OK, so I finally have the 16 plants I can fit in my growspace, so here's what it looks like. These are all at staggered stages of growth for now, but only by a few weeks at most, so once the most recent seedlings catch up, it should look more uniform. Once again, my grow is at my dad's place 20-25 min away from my home, so I only see my plants once a week due to 40 hours/week of work in another county, and having a wife and 6 year-old here at home. Hopefully I won't get swamped by life during harvest season again and let this glog go neglected like last year's did.

Again I'm using General Organics nutrients plus Scott's bone meal, and all these young plants are potted up in a 50/50 mix of Fafard Organic and Fox Farm Light Warrior. Once they get transplanted, it'll be all Fafard Organic plus extra vermiculite. Oh yeah, the light is a 400w Metal Halide. Closer to spring time, I'll probably decrease the light hours and switch to High Pressure Sodium, but I've gotta play it by ear until I know how this setup will work.

2013 Grow List
(all pairs of one kind are side by side in the left and middle columns; singles are on the far right)

Black Naga (x2)
Fatalii (x2)
CGN 21500 (x2)
Billy Boy Red Douglah (x2)
Spicy Mustard Habanero (x2)
Carolina Reaper (x1)
7 Pot Jonah (x1)
Purple Jalapeno (x1)
Biquinho Yellow (x1)
Scotch Bonnet (x1)
7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow (x1)

Thanks to THP members for all but 5 of these seeds!
1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3.jpg

Sorry I forgot the real camera for the first post. These are cell phone pics, but could be worse.

As you can see, they're in a storage area upstairs from my dad's garage. Not ideal, but it was my only shot at getting started indoors while I'm back in GA for the next few years. It's well-insulated, but NON-heated, so the MH light is on 18/6 along with a small space heater right next to the plants. The sickly little plant on the ground is a Peter Pepper my grandmother started in a ziplock bag and gave to me last month. I have no interest in keeping it, but I figure I'll let it live while there's still room for it.

Why only 16 plants? Because the frame we built can fit them 4x4 in 10-inch containers once they get big, and with only one bulb, I think any more would be pushing it. TRUST me, I wish I had the resources for 25+ plants, but beggars can't be choosers.

I'm going to be visiting the grow every Friday or Saturday to check on things and take pictures, so expect an update every weekend. As long as the night temps don't get too low in there, and I don't lose anymore to early nute burn, I think these are my keepers.

Still growing! All 16 plants are hanging in there, but they're VERY crowded for light. Next year, I'll probably focus on overwintering more plants, and grow about half as many new ones, unless I upgrade my light setup. Here's what things looked like today after a good feeding, as well as shifting some around to share the lumens.

311-1_zps3a653dd0.jpg

Overall, I'm really pleased considering I just spent 6 weeks out of state, and the garden only got 1-2 visits weekly from my wife and dad.
311-2_zps6d506e75.jpg

The same CGN21500 that was all wilted a few weeks ago is looking much better.
311-3_zpseb8ced33.jpg

Carolina Reaper
311-4_zpsc37c326c.jpg

Fatalii
311-5_zps0475c780.jpg

Purple Jalapeno with 2 more pods
311-6_zps1e9ec562.jpg

Biquinho Yellow showing some decent vertical growth
311-7_zps7365eb2b.jpg

2 overwinters I brought up into the warmth: Hot Cow Horn and Chocolate Habanero. I have another of each of these varieties, so these are kind of guinea pigs for the whole re-veg process. They got lots of water today, but no food or direct light yet. Any advice on how to keep these happy is always appreciated.
311-8_zps0202003d.jpg

Are these eggs? This is a Fatalii plant, but I'm only seeing this stuff under the leaves of about 1/3 of my plants. There are no visible insects or defoliation, so I was pretty surprised to find this as I was leaving today. I've got lots of neem oil and diatomaceous earth, but I'm not trying to control anything until I can identify it.

I've got all the 5-gallon buckets I need to transplant these within the next month, and I'm looking into some 10-gallon fabric pots for my 6 overwinters. Can't wait to get back outdoors, but our night temps are still getting below 40, so it's too soon.
Til next time... :dance:

Don't take my word for it but the stuff under the leaf might be edema which is too much water. You should take a good look with a magnifying glass and see if you can make out anything moving around.

You're doing well considering you are rarely there, and growing inside is very difficult because you have to replicate everything that nature does outside.

Thanks! I've decided to go with Fox Farm Ocean Forest instead of Fafard Organic for transplanting, so I've gotta drive to ATL Sunday to pick up several bags. The night temps are still getting down to the 30s here, so I'm probably looking at getting them outside the first week of April. I went and took a look at things yesterday after work and my 2 smallest plants (Spicy Mustard Habaneros) are up to about 2 feet. It's gonna be a big step up from last year's harvests.

Easter update, and last one before everything goes outside!

331-1_zps33e7888f.jpg

You can't see them all, but there are now 25 plants total. I brought my other 2 overwinters up today to adjust to warmer temps before going out, and also acquired 3 new seedlings from Coheed196: Aji Lemon Drop, White Bhut Jolokia, and Harold St. Bart's. I'm very excited for these varieties.
331-2_zps10f22ff8.jpg

You can see new leaves emerging from the overwintered Hot Cow Horn on the right. Everything was very thirsty today, so there are a few droopy plants in the bunch.

My wife and I are currently planning to transplant as much as we can/get EVERYTHING outside this Saturday (4/6/13). I can't tell you what a relief it will be to have them under the sun, instead of all competing for light from the same 400w bulb. I've got about half a dozen Purple Jalapenos forming, and about 4 small CGN21500's. All I need is 3 more 5-gallon buckets, drainage pans, and a roll or 2 of landscape fabric. It's gonna be a good year for peppers after all!

Like I said, no more updates until everything's outside...And it is! My wife helped me transplant everything this past weekend. She was also in charge of the camera and we were exhausted, so the pics aren't too detailed, but you get the idea for now.

SN150715_zps5103bfa5.jpg

SN150719_zpsdfdaac6b.jpg

SN150716_zps3fd2b18a.jpg

You can see me lurking behind the Carolina Reaper in the green bucket. Anyway, I'm sold on root pouches so far. All 25 plants are still going strong, aside from much expected transplant shock. Everything was getting rootbound, so this couldn't have waited any longer. More updates throughout the summer!

Updates have gotten sparse because I've been working overtime every week for the last month, but I'm finally off the next 4 days so I intend to get this thing (and the rest of my life) caught up and current. I'll have a detailed update in about 2 or 3 days when I visit the grow to check on the peppers, and also to get all my other vegetables outside and in the ground.

For now, I've got a bit of disappointing news: 3 of my 6 overwinters didn't make it. They were the 3 that were started way late last year, and therefore, simply weren't developed enough to be put through dormancy. The departed are my 2 Chocolate Habaneros and 1 Charleston Cayenne. I'm now at 22 plants total.

overwinters41813_zps0c85d259.jpg

On the back right is my Bhut Jolokia showing early signs of rejuvenation. The front center and right are my 2 Hot Cow Horns. I'll use the potting mix from the 3 that didn't make it to step up my 3 1-gallon plants up to 5's soon.

Much more to come in a few days!

Too bad about the DOA OWs, but at least two, maybe three, of them are going to make it. That's about the percentage of survival I had last year. This year, so far (knock on wood), I'm 7 for 7.

Today I got all 22 peppers to their final place, all in full sun. What a relief! Also planted 6 tomatoes, 6 okra, and 2 squash, like you care ;) . Here's the good stuff, including a few early pods:

SN150726_zps216b885f.jpg

All my peppers, including 16 started indoors in October, 3 overwinters from last year, and 3 new specimens from Coheed196 (up front in the 1-gal's).
SN150727_zps67e06660.jpg

Carolina Reaper
SN150728_zpsca4b777a.jpg

Purple Jalapeno
SN150729_zps5fb21b9c.jpg

CGN21500, crappy shot. I tried an early pod 2 weeks ago and it was very tasty for an unripe pepper. Tasted like a Cheiro Roxa, no big surprise.
SN150731_zps754095bb.jpg

Bhut Jolokia, the pepper that got me started growing these things, coming back for its 2nd year
SN150732_zps2d194b8d.jpg

Scotch Bonnets beginning to form
SN150733_zps64a0680d.jpg

First Spicy Mustard Habanero of the year between 2 plants. I CAN'T WAIT to try these.
SN150734_zpsd3a417ae.jpg

Fatalii, another I can't wait to finally try for myself

I'm impressed at how early I'm getting pods this year. They're loving the Fox Farm Ocean Forest, no doubt about it. Til next time...

I'm still trying to get used to this schedule of having Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday off of work. It's pretty hectic as always around here, but I think weekly updates are working out pretty well. I was bummed to see that I lost 3 of my 6 tomatoes to flooding that happened last night, but overall, the garden is still intact. The peppers are, for the most part, doing well.

429-1_zpsb68869a3.jpg

Group shot
429-2_zpsa13bbccb.jpg

Spicy Mustard Habanero
429-3_zps3333657d.jpg

Overwintered Bhut Jolokia
429-4_zpsea5be8d4.jpg

Black Naga
429-5_zps0245d6fe.jpg

CGN21500
429-6_zpsfecd160e.jpg

Purple Jalapeno
429-7_zpscd4304aa.jpg

Scotch Bonnet, still wilting a bit for some reason
429-8_zps92f547dc.jpg

Billy Boy Red Douglah

I know I'm close to my picture max, so here are links for the rest:

Fatalii: http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg572/ScarletFirePeppers/429-9_zpsc4ae6bd2.jpg

Yellow Brain Strain, being protected by a spider: http://i1244.photobu...zpsfb30d35d.jpg

Biquinho Yellow: http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg572/ScarletFirePeppers/429-11_zpsf05f5350.jpg

Carolina Reaper, still no pods quite yet: http://i1244.photobu...zps7a7d9c1c.jpg

Lemon Drop, White Bhut, Harold St. Bart's http://i1244.photobu...zpsfd7c2c02.jpg

I'm hoping for my first small harvest before the end of May, but patience is everything... ;)

The non-stop rain has beaten the whole garden up these past few days. As a result, I no longer have any tomatoes, and what's left of the squash and okra are barely holding on. The peppers, as always, are a little tougher. They're in containers and already had decently thick stalks when they came outside last month.

57-1_zpse99536f2.jpg

Carolina Reaper

57-2_zpsb0449b62.jpg

Fatalii

57-4_zpsfd798246.jpg

Spicy Mustard Habanero

57-3_zpsa3c7e1a1.jpg

Billy Boy Red Douglah

57-6_zps10209c76.jpg

CGN21500

57-7_zps2fa888ed.jpg

Scotch Bonnet

57-8_zps05ba5de0.jpg

Biquinho Yellow

57-5_zps36ae33ee.jpg

Black Naga

My Yellow Brain Strain and Jonah are way behind the rest on podding up, as well as my overwintered Cow Horns and Bhut Jolokia, but luckily it's only May and we'll still be harvesting 5 months from now here in GA. Next week will be time to transplant my White Bhut, Lemon Drop, and Harold St. Bart's to 5-gallon buckets like the rest. See you guys in a week!

Pepper plants look fine, lots of pods already. Sorry to here about the rain damage. One ting about tomatoes, you can replant as they grow fast. The Black Naga looks like a badass pod, I bet thats a hot one. Good luck with the rest of your season...

Thanks! Yeah, I'm excited for the Black Nagas for sure. The pictures I've seen show them to be larger than Bhuts. Since they're still considered unstable, and my seed was from an open-pollenated source, I went with 2 plants of them, hoping I'll get at least one to breed true. I'll probably overwinter the better of the pair.

Back