• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Scarlet Fire's 2012-2013 Glog updated 8/10/13

OK, so I finally have the 16 plants I can fit in my growspace, so here's what it looks like. These are all at staggered stages of growth for now, but only by a few weeks at most, so once the most recent seedlings catch up, it should look more uniform. Once again, my grow is at my dad's place 20-25 min away from my home, so I only see my plants once a week due to 40 hours/week of work in another county, and having a wife and 6 year-old here at home. Hopefully I won't get swamped by life during harvest season again and let this glog go neglected like last year's did.

Again I'm using General Organics nutrients plus Scott's bone meal, and all these young plants are potted up in a 50/50 mix of Fafard Organic and Fox Farm Light Warrior. Once they get transplanted, it'll be all Fafard Organic plus extra vermiculite. Oh yeah, the light is a 400w Metal Halide. Closer to spring time, I'll probably decrease the light hours and switch to High Pressure Sodium, but I've gotta play it by ear until I know how this setup will work.

2013 Grow List
(all pairs of one kind are side by side in the left and middle columns; singles are on the far right)

Black Naga (x2)
Fatalii (x2)
CGN 21500 (x2)
Billy Boy Red Douglah (x2)
Spicy Mustard Habanero (x2)
Carolina Reaper (x1)
7 Pot Jonah (x1)
Purple Jalapeno (x1)
Biquinho Yellow (x1)
Scotch Bonnet (x1)
7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow (x1)

Thanks to THP members for all but 5 of these seeds!
1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3.jpg

Sorry I forgot the real camera for the first post. These are cell phone pics, but could be worse.

As you can see, they're in a storage area upstairs from my dad's garage. Not ideal, but it was my only shot at getting started indoors while I'm back in GA for the next few years. It's well-insulated, but NON-heated, so the MH light is on 18/6 along with a small space heater right next to the plants. The sickly little plant on the ground is a Peter Pepper my grandmother started in a ziplock bag and gave to me last month. I have no interest in keeping it, but I figure I'll let it live while there's still room for it.

Why only 16 plants? Because the frame we built can fit them 4x4 in 10-inch containers once they get big, and with only one bulb, I think any more would be pushing it. TRUST me, I wish I had the resources for 25+ plants, but beggars can't be choosers.

I'm going to be visiting the grow every Friday or Saturday to check on things and take pictures, so expect an update every weekend. As long as the night temps don't get too low in there, and I don't lose anymore to early nute burn, I think these are my keepers.

Glad you like them! I'm right there with you, I think they have one of the best flavors around, and the heat is medium level. They have enormous potential for cross-breeds IMO.

hey Brett, feel free to throw some on the train and mark them for me. :) I could also use some Purple Jalapenos and Biquinho Yellows (my purple jals didn`t make it again) 2nd year trying. Nice looking plants

Been too long! Check out what's come up in the last month.

810-1_zps46ce0e78.jpg

My Yellow Biquinhos aren't really Biquinhos if you know to look for the teardrop shape, but I still love these peppers. They're starting to get long too.

810-4_zps18c77c24.jpg

Black Naga

810-2_zpsf79d9a22.jpg

Purple Jalapeno

810-6_zps9856fd19.jpg

Overwintered Bhut Jolokia, coming back much longer than last year

810-7_zps4f6ed0e0.jpg

Harold's St. Bart Habanero, the only variety I still have yet to harvest this year

Can I get a bump? :party:

Thanks for nothin' :clap: . j/k, here's the rest of yesterdays pics

8.10.13 continued
810-3_zpsef9b4960.jpg

CGN21500, perhaps the tastiest pepper I've got growing this year. The powder they make is very peachy in color

810-5_zps666d3a96.jpg

My Scotch Bonnets are finally showing perfect form. Very tasty, but not as hot as I'd expected.

810-8_zpsa9918fe3.jpg

White Bhut Jolokia, beautiful when ripe but I'm still looking forward to a truly bumpy breed in the future

810-10_zpsb1da11fd.jpg

Lemon Drops galore

810-9_zps7c9c8645.jpg

Carolina Reaper

More SFRB's will be available in a week or so. Hope everyone's had a killer season so far. I'll still be harvesting for another 2 months before selecting my overwinter crew.

Took a few money shots of some choice pods from today's harvest

lemondrops813_zps99340941.jpg

Lemon Drops

nagas813_zpsf60db454.jpg

White and Red Bhut Jolokia...believe it or not the smooth white's heat isn't too far below ol' bumpy

mustardhab813_zpsd4b86dc9.jpg

Spicy Mustard Habanero - the only one that was ready today, but they're all roughly this size

reapers813_zps0ec444aa.jpg

Carolina Reapers - can't deny the gnarliness

Been almost a month since my last update. It's been a VERY big year. New job, baby due in November, and a new house in the coming weeks.  No big surprise that working 12-hour shifts, I inadvertently neglect the plants on my days off, trying to catch my breath amid all the chaos. I'm often forced to keep odd hours, and it's in that spirit that I decided to do a nighttime update. The plants have gotten some size to them this year, and they're finally back to producing well now that it's below the 90's. Tomorrow is a harvest/feeding day, so I thought a few choice pod shots would be cool.

Fatalii-97_zpsd84ccd1f.jpg

Fatalii

BBRD-97_zps9e426c59.jpg

Billy Boy Red Douglah

Bhut-97_zps4c20aae4.jpg

Overwintered Bhut Jolokia - not very poddy at the moment, but it's nice and shrubby. Gonna shoot for a 3rd year of production in 2014.

Reaper-97_zps7b65bd57.jpg

Carolina Reaper

Jonah-97_zpsf759ad15.jpg

7 Pot Jonah

CGN21500-97_zpsc0f3d0a1.jpg

CGN 21500

Look for a pair of SFRB's in the Forum Ads tomorrow (9/8/13). I hope everyone else is as excited for harvest season as I am!

Scarlet Fire said:

Thanks for nothin' :clap: . j/k, here's the rest of yesterdays pics

We deserve that and I for one apologize for not being around to bump you. Fantastic grow and pictures, so I quickly hit "follow dis" mon :)

I’m amazed that your White Bhut’s are almost as hot as your red one, while mine taste great they are not that hot yet, could have been the serious lack of stress from the summer rains or who knows what. That said, dis white girl has worked her way into a special place for me ^_^

Keep up da great grow and have a sensational week, unfortunately I’m not around as much as before due to work so don’t count on me for bumps ;)

WalkGood said:

We deserve that and I for one apologize for not being around to bump you. Fantastic grow and pictures, so I quickly hit "follow dis" mon :)

I’m amazed that your White Bhut’s are almost as hot as your red one, while mine taste great they are not that hot yet, could have been the serious lack of stress from the summer rains or who knows what. That said, dis white girl has worked her way into a special place for me ^_^

Keep up da great grow and have a sensational week, unfortunately I’m not around as much as before due to work so don’t count on me for bumps ;)
It's all good! Thanks for checking things out. I'm pretty irregular about getting to do updates unfortunately, so it often slips through the cracks when it finally happens.

I would estimate my White Bhut at 800,000 SHU, but it's hard to say. It does have a similar flavor, in fact I probably prefer it to the original. The real test will be to see what kind of powder it yields. My Red Bhut powder is in the top 3 hottest I have, and it goes well on just about anything. I'm hoping the white is just as versatile. I still can't decide whether to overwinter that plant. Got another month or so of harvesting to decide!

No update in 5 weeks = really lame IMO. My bad. I've been working 50-60+hrs/week for the last month and it's looking like it's going to stay that way for a bit, BUT I will do a proper year-end update soon which will also introduce my grow for next year (very cool varieties and more plants).

As it stands right now:

-I'm mid-way through overwintering my keepers for next year
-I've harvested ALL of my pods which are all either bag-ripening or causing my freezer to bulge.
-I have 15 small plants for next year started up and under the 400w MH.

Fall is here indeed!

Back