• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Scarlet Fire's 2012-2013 Glog updated 8/10/13

OK, so I finally have the 16 plants I can fit in my growspace, so here's what it looks like. These are all at staggered stages of growth for now, but only by a few weeks at most, so once the most recent seedlings catch up, it should look more uniform. Once again, my grow is at my dad's place 20-25 min away from my home, so I only see my plants once a week due to 40 hours/week of work in another county, and having a wife and 6 year-old here at home. Hopefully I won't get swamped by life during harvest season again and let this glog go neglected like last year's did.

Again I'm using General Organics nutrients plus Scott's bone meal, and all these young plants are potted up in a 50/50 mix of Fafard Organic and Fox Farm Light Warrior. Once they get transplanted, it'll be all Fafard Organic plus extra vermiculite. Oh yeah, the light is a 400w Metal Halide. Closer to spring time, I'll probably decrease the light hours and switch to High Pressure Sodium, but I've gotta play it by ear until I know how this setup will work.

2013 Grow List
(all pairs of one kind are side by side in the left and middle columns; singles are on the far right)

Black Naga (x2)
Fatalii (x2)
CGN 21500 (x2)
Billy Boy Red Douglah (x2)
Spicy Mustard Habanero (x2)
Carolina Reaper (x1)
7 Pot Jonah (x1)
Purple Jalapeno (x1)
Biquinho Yellow (x1)
Scotch Bonnet (x1)
7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow (x1)

Thanks to THP members for all but 5 of these seeds!
1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3.jpg

Sorry I forgot the real camera for the first post. These are cell phone pics, but could be worse.

As you can see, they're in a storage area upstairs from my dad's garage. Not ideal, but it was my only shot at getting started indoors while I'm back in GA for the next few years. It's well-insulated, but NON-heated, so the MH light is on 18/6 along with a small space heater right next to the plants. The sickly little plant on the ground is a Peter Pepper my grandmother started in a ziplock bag and gave to me last month. I have no interest in keeping it, but I figure I'll let it live while there's still room for it.

Why only 16 plants? Because the frame we built can fit them 4x4 in 10-inch containers once they get big, and with only one bulb, I think any more would be pushing it. TRUST me, I wish I had the resources for 25+ plants, but beggars can't be choosers.

I'm going to be visiting the grow every Friday or Saturday to check on things and take pictures, so expect an update every weekend. As long as the night temps don't get too low in there, and I don't lose anymore to early nute burn, I think these are my keepers.

Happy Memorial Day, folks! I hope the weather has improved for everybody else enough to catch up from all the brutal storms down here a couple weeks ago. After feeding & neeming everything today, I spent the whole day eating burgers and sipping Patron by the pool at my mom's. It's days like this I'm glad I got the early start back in the fall. I've harvested approximately 6 Purple Jalapenos and 3 CGN21500's so far, but I expect to see many more ripe pods in less than a month.

527-6_zps56f7e287.jpg

Billy Boy Red Douglah

527-8_zps365c3502.jpg

Spicy Mustard Habanero

527-3_zps04b4b95e.jpg

Purple Jalapeno

527-5_zps93f6ce9b.jpg

Scotch Bonnet

527-7_zpsbe42b119.jpg

Fatallii

more pics pending a bump, por favor...

gracias! onward...

527-4_zpsaf2ee759.jpg

CGN 21500

527-2_zps696c8e05.jpg

Biquinho Yellow

527-10_zps70338376.jpg

Carolina Reaper

527-9_zpsddc112e6.jpg

Overwintered Bhut Joloka, finally starting to bud up

527-1_zpsc4c859a5.jpg

Lemon Drop already flowering

Finally, my Jonah and Yellow Brain Strain are setting tiny pods, so I'm stoked. Hopefully next update I'll have something photo-worthy from the White Bhut, Harold's St. Bart, and Overwintered Cow Horns, too. Thanks for stopping by :dance:

Things are going pretty well with this year's grow. I've harvested at least 1 ripe pepper from 6 out of 16 different varieties already, which I think is pretty neat for this early in the season. For those of you who don't know, I'm not the type to munch on a whole superhot. I use them to cook with, as well as in liquor infusions, but mostly for making powders in the fall to add to EVERYTHNG I eat. So, if any good-sized yields appear all at once later this month, I'll probably make a couple SFRB's available to THP members in the Forum Ads section. I work 6am-6pm the next 4 days, so I was pleasantly surprised to see a bit of new color when I made my weekly visit to the grow spot earlier today.

64-1_zps47dfd9f4.jpg

Fatalii - I can now say this pepper lives up to all the hype in my book. The citrus flavor is there in full effect, and the heat is pretty impressive too.

64-2_zps74b15d25.jpg

Spicy Mustard Hab - First to ripen is always a tiny one.

64-3_zps56ede006.jpg

Black Naga - At least one of these two plants has officially bred true. I'm really excited for my only brown variety this year.

64-4_zpsd79cec46.jpg

CGN 21500 - If I had to recommend one pepper from this year's list to grow, this is it so far. It's absolutely delicious, really attractive, and has the perfect amount of heat (for me, anyway).

64-5_zps18826e69.jpg

Biquinho Yellow - These aren't the traditional shape I've seen in pictures, but I don't care because the flavor and heat are right on for such a small pepper. I've harvested a couple dozen in the last week, and can't go a day without munching one.

64-6_zpsaa40712f.jpg

Overwintered Hot Cow Horn - This plant is way ahead of my other 2 OW's

64-7_zpsffa7ffe7.jpg

7 Pot Jonah FINALLY podding up!

64-8_zps5fd16ddf.jpg

Yellow Brain Strain - probably half a dozen little pods on this one, I'm just hoping for it to breed true (or close)

64-9_zps98ca1f1b.jpg

Billy Boy Red Douglah - The heat on these is pretty painful. Hotter than last year's Bhuts if I recall correctly.

64-10_zps62e6df32.jpg

Carolina Reaper - These pods are very slow growers, but they're all pretty bumpy, and most have tails

Gotta get in bed early for work! Another update in a week or 2... :onfire:

Small Flat Rate Box, full of peppers. It's a pretty common way to share pods. It currently costs $5.80 to send one, regardless of what you can stuff in there.

This is the 2nd of two decent harvests I got this week, totalling just over 3/4lb. My Fataliis and Black Nagas have easily been the best producers so far. I'm just hoping from now on my Reapers will grow to full size before ripening.

Harvest612_zpsacc029db.jpg

Edit: Still lagging behind in any ripe pods this year are my overwintered Bhut and Cow Horns, as well as Jonah, Yellow Brain Strain, Scotch Bonnet, White Bhut, Harold's St. Bart, and Lemon Drop. Most of these have some non-ripe pods and are just behind. Others are just now flowering...

I just had a chance to run make a small harvest of my first full-size Spicy Mustard Habaneros in the rain, but I snapped a few phone shots of new pods.

617-1-1_zpsac7552f8.jpg

White Bhut Jolokia

617-2-1_zps75dd10e8.jpg

Lemon Drop

617-3-1_zpsfc4cd62c.jpg

7 Pot Jonah

617-4-1_zpsa652f3cb.jpg

Yellow Brain Strain

617-5-1_zps1974a87d.jpg

Carolina Reaper

I'll have the house to myself tomorrow night, which means I get to break out the dehydrator for the first drying session of 2013. I've got 1/4lb each of Black Nagas, Fataliis, and Spicy Mustard Habs halved, frozen, and ready to hit the trays!

Like many growers this time of year, I've been busy as all hell. But between me working 6am-6pm, my wife working 6pm-6am, another baby on the way in November, and trying to get moved into a new place this summer, my plants have gone severely neglected. Today, when I went to give everything its first feeding in 2 weeks, I was pleasantly surprised to see that they're doing pretty well without me anyway. Go figure, I raise them early to be so tough they respond favorably to stress, just like peppers should ;) . I'm expecting to harvest about 2 pounds during July. I'm still saving most of the pods I don't munch daily in the freezer for the dehydrator now and then, but I'm sure I'll be able to offer a SFRB in a couple weeks. I've been relieved lately to see last year's Bhut producing heavily.

71-1_zps2ca5588c.jpg

Group shot

71-2_zps9a1aeff8.jpg

Carolina Reaper

71-3_zpsbb8fdba4.jpg

Hot Cow Horn OW

71-4_zpsee27e7a0.jpg

Billy Boy Red Douglah

71-5_zps14376527.jpg

Bhut Jolokia OW

More on the way...

Back