• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

seacowboy 2014

Getting a late start on the glog here as was the case with starting my seeds as well.  Definetly learned a lot from last year and have tried to use that to make things better for this year, minus the later than planned start I am optimistic with how things are looking right now.  Just like last year I will be using my backyard garden for in ground plants along with some air pots and bags, then another batch of plants will be down at my hunting camp.  Differences for this year are using all Pro Mix HP in containers along with digging out each hole for all the in ground plants with a post hole digger to about 12" deep and mixing that in to the soil. Here at the house I have done away with other veggies since the deer demolished them just as they were getting good so its just going to be peppers, onions and corn here with ironically all the other stuff the deer love down at my hunting camp but they have so far (knock on wood) left our garden alone and just mow down the other farmers soy beans once they go in the ground.  Soil at the house was amended with 100 lbs of lime and 40 lbs of 10-10-10 and tilled in back in the fall then tilled again before planting out.

PKSR4OZ.jpg

Have quite the variety in the list this year from getting lots of pods for members here and ordering a few seeds from different places.  This is what I have and in no particular order, some are singles but overall I had good germ rates and only lost a couple to damping off while I was gone, all were seeded in groups of 4 starters with several seeds per when numbers allowed with thinning happening once things popped up and survived.  Soaked 2 trays in Myco Blast for 24 hours and another tray I did not soak for comparison, very easy to see the difference it made.  Had 2 mistakes with labeling so there are going to be a few Mystery plants too.

Red Brainstrain                           Yellow Brainstrain                     Yellow Fatalii                      Red Fatalii                  Fatalii x Cleos Dragon
7 Pod Red Large                         7 Pod Yellow Congo SR           Primos                               Jonah                          Infinity
Fish                                             Goat                                          Douglah                             Scotch Bonnet            MOA
Chocolate Hand Grenade           Manzano                                   Brown Trinidad Scorpion  Chocolate Habenero   Serrano
Red Douglah                               Tepin                                         Bubble Gum                      Yellow Bhut                 Peach Bhut
Jalepeno                                     Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion    Chocolate TS x Butch T    Datil                            Brad's Bahamian
Madballz                                     Carbon Bhut                             Trinidad Scorpion              Peach TS                    Douglah x Trinidad Scropion

Seeds started on 3/12/14

VTn7u2s.jpg

fAwKt7Y.jpg

KMYJQB0.jpg

Have 45 plants here with room for another 11.  Used 3' spacing on each in the row and 3.5' between rows with them offset to give a bit more space, if and when I need to I will trim to keep room to walk the rows. No topping or pruning has been done so far since they haven't gotten big enough, would have liked to have done that but with my late start it is what it is and they had to go in the ground before I returned to work for my next 21 day rotation. These went in 4/25 and were given a healthy dose of Fish/Seaweed Fertilizer, Myco Blast, Soil Blast and Humic Acid once they went in and are not showing any signs of transplant shock, a little sun burn on a few but overall the plant out seems to have gone great.
uAo4F41.jpg

13 Pots so far and they already look like they are doing better than the in ground stuff and it hasn't even been a week.  Have a few more pots to add as the seedlings get bigger and I harden them off later in May when I am back home.
Gxrxo97.jpg

The row on the right is the pepper plants, 32 planted in there again with 3' spacing on each side, with a row of sunflowers planted to the right.  On the left is 50 some tomato plants, then a few rows of potatoes left of that with beets between those rows and 2 rows of onions on the far left, squash, cucs, watermelon are planted on the far right, with several rows of beans planted in side garden.

So thats about it, will get updates from the wife while I'm gone and a friend down at the hunting camp to see how things are going there.  Wishing everyone lots of luck with their grow and if anyone wants to swap some seeds from the above listed plants I can let you know if I have extras.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  Have all but 2 spots filled and glad it is all nearly done.  Have to get a small trench dug and the drip line put in to the bigger pouches on the side before I head back to work in a few days.  Can really tell that the plants in the ground have now started to take off and look forward to big surprise pics from the wife while I'm gone for the next 3 weeks.  Has been a lot of work but I know it is going to be worth it this year.  Tore down the crappy thin plastic 'deer fence' and replaced it with a 3' rabbit fence, mainly to keep the dog and youngen out.

So here is whats happening now at the house.
zGaxtJw.jpg

TNdU2MF.jpg

yOWlzKT.jpg

And our Low Country Boil from Saturday to celebrate in Dad's day since I'll be gone again this year.
tY8ujjD.jpg

And Pepper Row down at the hunt camp.  Look a little small from the pic but they are bushing nicely, did some pruning but no topping.  They also all got a foliar spray of epsom salts, Sea-90 and healthy drink of AACT.  While there I trelissed the toms (left) so they wouldn't flop on the ground like last year and save a lot more for us than the bugs and critters.  Ran out of time to put up some fencing above the 2 strands of 'Florida Weave' I did but another guy is supposed to that later this week.  Working on figuring out how to photoshop pics together to see the whole garden in 1 shot, everything else there is doing quite well.
RopYXuj.jpg

Will put up some close ups later on this afternoon.

Seacowboy said:
And our Low Country Boil from Saturday to celebrate in Dad's day since I'll be gone again this year.
tY8ujjD.jpg
Daauuuuummmm! That looks gud!

NIce work in the garden and that 50 gal is going to be quite a sight in a month or so. Get some rest and be safe out on the water!! Glad you got some good eatin in before you have to return to your ramen noodle, hotdog, and chef boyardee diet haha.

"Working on figuring out how to photoshop pics together to see the whole garden in 1 shot, everything else there is doing quite well."

Hey man, gardens looking great! If you want a quick and easy way to photoshop pics together try using the crop tool to extend your first photo on one side or the other (will leave a blank grey or white box), then you can just drag and drop subsequent photos in the open space. Not too fancy looking, but quick and easy when time is of the essence.

Thanks guys. Been having some computer trouble with the power supply and thought I solved the problem by simply changing outlets, nope, time for either a new battery or power supply.   :rolleyes:  Left the ladies for my 3 weeks away this morning and I think their in great shape to really take off in the coming weeks.  Finished the drip line to the containers and got all the holes filled, although they aren't in my last pic I put 2 Chocolate TS x Butch T's in the closest 2 - 5 gal pouches, was going to put MOA's in there but decided to leave them in the 3 gal air pots since they were a little further behind in their growth.  When I pulled the Choc TS x Butch T's out the roots were crazy in the smaller air pots I had them in, could see that the Myco Blast was doing its thing with tons of white fuzz on them all, should have got a pic but was rushing to get it done before the rain hit.  Didn't get all of the plants staked and am hoping for the best as were having some nasty storms going through right now and more predicted for the rest of the week, being small and mostly all having been pruned and topped hopefully they take the wind and get that much stronger.
tHlYBjms.jpg

So for the close ups there are a few from the hunt camp garden will add more from the house with a bump.  All are quite squat and are looking really good.

7 Pod Primo showing a little yellowing but should be taken care of after a good dose of aact and foliar spray.
20140605_065900_zps4841d32b.jpg

7 Pod Red
20140605_065923_zps937c6827.jpg

Douglah
20140605_065916_zpsffef7454.jpg

Red Douglah
20140605_065900_zps4841d32b.jpg

Brown Moruga that has lost all but 1 leaf but cranking out the new growth.
kEWjoDA.jpg

Reaper
mdNe227.jpg

Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion
NCib4c9.jpg

Sweet Scorpion
AaSH8qg.jpg

Kraken Scorpion
SWPpXrl.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Wifey was nice enough to snap a few pics while she was running the drip line this evening for me so I could get a visual update for the week and things are looking good. A few were looking very thirsty after 2 days in the 90's and tomorrow more of the same. 

First up is the Brown Moruga that basically just had the main stem and some new growth started and a single leave remaining, think she's gonna pull through. 
Cv9U56F.jpg

Reaper has put on a ton of growth. 

TKxsFzN.jpg

Sweet or Kraken Scorpion, can't remember which in that spot without notes.
nz2M4ed.jpg

BBG7 on the outside and Orange Bhut Copenhagen in the center.
C4GF2Gp.jpg

And the in ground ladies. 
MyWj5Fr.jpg

Good to be back shore side and home with the family again. Plants have taken off and starting to spit out their first round of pods.  Several plants also have well over 100 buds/flowers hanging and with some luck they will stick. The garden plants are looking much better than last years crop and way ahead in growth this time around. Most are squat and wide with beefy stalks and huge leaves.

zKyFZbP.jpg

Monster leaves on Bbg7.

jGCj8gs.jpg

Primo showing some girth.

AoyDeGu.jpg

Here fishy fishy.

QmLOkDO.jpg

The in ground spread shaping up nice. 

bo084yJ.jpg

EhH5Rs7.jpg

Containers are looking good and getting their groove. Waiting on a shade cloth to arrive to give the girls some shade in the middle of the day. 
88EfSC3.jpg

Fixing to get a little crowded in there. 

BIFm7xn.jpg

Brown Moruga playing catch up.

Wow Jason that is some serious growth in a short time . Maybe you should go fishing more often  ;)  LOL there is no place like home  :party:

sp33d said:
Beautiful plants and awesome setup Seacowboy.. .. Can't wait to install irrigation next year in our plot... :)

Thanks sp33d. It is nice to come home to, unfortunately I haven't gotten to the point of being able to relax much since I am gone so much and forced to play catch up. The drip line is great, and really inexpensive especially when figuring in the time saved.

romy6 said:
Wow Jason that is some serious growth in a short time . Maybe you should go fishing more often  ;)  LOL there is no place like home  :party:
Wish we had a bit more luck this trip. Was a constant battle keeping the lines clean from weeds. Only managed a single dolphin amd I am being generous saying it may have been 5 lbs, did catch a dozen or so barracudas they wrecked a bunch of lures that I had to continually reskirt, but that's all part of it.

Very pleased with the growth and looking forward to going down to hunt camp to see how the plants there look. Its been quite dry down there and in need of a good rain or three. May get some from the thunderstorms forecasted for the next couple days.

Here's a few more pod pics will I'm here. 
5NlCXq1.jpg

Rooster Spur

paV7PgO.jpg
Kraken Scorpion

6rdfLX5.jpg

Yellow Brains just starting out. 

MABr9yW.jpg

Something decided to ruin this one. This doesn't need to keep happening down the line. 

Jason,

Bet it feels good to be back home, and with pods make it even better. The garden really looks great and I'm so glad to see the Rooster Spur is setting fruit for ya. Get some rest and some good food!! 

beerbreath81 said:
Jason,

Bet it feels good to be back home, and with pods make it even better. The garden really looks great and I'm so glad to see the Rooster Spur is setting fruit for ya. Get some rest and some good food!! 
Always great being home, and this time its been one of the best times here and keeps getting better.  The weather over the long 4th weekend was perfect, significantly cooler than the normal July heat that we usually have.  The changes and growing up of my son is crazy, just from day to day but being gone for 3 weeks and coming home the difference from each time home is amazing.  He's started walking now and trying to talk more everyday.

And you mention the food, kinda funny thing there.  Pretty sure I finally got my point across to our cook on the boat that it was time for him to move on somewhere else. He freaked out since I changed his grub order by removing all the premade meals he usually makes for us with other things that he would have to put some effort into.  The 3 cook books I left on the counter to start the trip out started it all off but by the end he surely got the point.  Then onto the cooking yesterday for the Throwdown.  Man that was fun, even my wife that rarely cooks was excited and helped me out with a lot of prep work and grocery shopping.

Enough talky, bring the pics!

This was my favorite Tapas from yesterday, Cajun Chicken and Andouille sausage Strudel topped with Blackberry and Banana Bourbon compote.  And the one leftover is getting ready to be lunch right after this.
wSLx88r.jpg

All the pouches are doing great. Waiting on a few more amendments to finish the mix for 8 more 20 gal pouches to pot up the remaining plants I have in 1 - 3 gal airpots.
aIIloyp.jpg

5 Bbg7's and 1 Cophenhagen Bhut in the center 
bABVcfI.jpg

Garden is filling out now, flowers are blooming and pods are setting. Have a handful of pods here and there.
57Pc0gV.jpg
gyWjKqj.jpg

Red Fataliis
PEDLOqF.jpg

Bbg7 Flowering, just missed snapping the pic as a honeybee was doing work.
mErLvoh.jpg

Jay's Peach
MzLIUJC.jpg

Jay's Red
yC7yT7B.jpg

Elongated Yellow Brainstrain
zT4wQ2P.jpg

Hope everyone had a great weekend and are doing better than I on this hangover.

Took my monthly trip down to my hunting camp garden and had a lot of work to do cleaning things up. The maters did not continue to get trellised while I was gone and they kept growing and all fell over and taking over pepper row. Along with that the neighbor continued his lack of care in running the tiller to keep the weeds and grass down. 

There were plenty of pods on just about all the plants and they all looked very healthy and not seeming to mind the dry spell down there. 

Here's the before shot.
8D5AGLc.jpg

Saw the tell tale signs of the old hornworm, droppings and bare sticks and then found 4 of them beeiitchs hiding out, one was giant.

uTKIkAi.jpg

Then I found a very welcome sight that brought a smile to my face. 

E7iU7YO.jpg

So after literally 8 hrs of putting the fence up trellesing the toms and weeding things are looking much better. Gave them all a dose of aact and foliar spray of the good stuff. Look forward to getting back down in mid august for some good harvests. 
NA6MLtF.jpg

Seacowboy said:
haha, DIE MFer DIE :flamethrower:
Good to see the allies doing their part for you, and mutpling the troops. Garden looks great man, and even better no real damage was done that can be undone with some manual labor. Definatly gonna need to rest your back after that one though. Shaping up to be one helluva season for ya buddy.

Seacowboy said:
What do I have here?  Seen a few on different plants. 
ByDfEI2.jpg

Nice to see that hornworm get what he deserves :) 

Those critters look like woolly aphids ? Could also be  maybe mealy bugs. They can hurt a plant fast . 

beerbreath81 said:
haha, DIE MFer DIE :flamethrower:
Good to see the allies doing their part for you, and mutpling the troops. Garden looks great man, and even better no real damage was done that can be undone with some manual labor. Definatly gonna need to rest your back after that one though. Shaping up to be one helluva season for ya buddy.

Thanks Anthony. Goes to show you that a good dose of 'leave them the fahq alone' can and will work with peppers.  Fortunate that the soil is good and the bad bugs have been leaving them alone, thanks to the help of those wasps, a bunch of ladybugs and I also saw a couple Assassin bugs too.  Hope to keep it up the healthy look grow there and here at the house. Knock on wood.

romy6 said:

Nice to see that hornworm get what he deserves :)

Those critters look like woolly aphids ? Could also be  maybe mealy bugs. They can hurt a plant fast . 

Killem all!!!   Wasn't sure exactly what they were, think their too big for wooly aphids, was thinking maybe mealy bugs or there was another that looked similar that is supposed to be a beneficial but didn't have the longish looking white dreads like I have seen in photos.  Gave the plants a foliar dose of bug juice followed up by some foliar aact and haven't seen any since.  Hopefully they won't be coming back.  Gonna be gone for just over a month this time due to taking a couple classes in Ft. Lauderdale starting this Monday.  Will be up in Merritt Island the following weekend, if I had more time I'd try to keep trucking north to meet up but gonna be tight on time as it is.

The 50 gal pouch with Bubblegums and Orange Bhut Copenhagen in the center is really taking off, can see the pic above from just 4 days ago.  The Copenhagen is a little behind but hopefully given the competition surrounding her it will kick her into gear.
EKoFrIV.jpg

When the heat starts to drop will go fill up the 20 gal pouches that were supposed to be 15's but A.M. Leonard made a little booboo and sent me these instead, little more costly to fill but I can deal with that for the extra size .

Back