• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Should we have a fun 2009 grow contest?

bigt said:
Haha - no problem. I planted a little early because I thought I might get busy if I waited. My plant time was around Noon on Sunday, January 4th. I just got my hands on a fresh bale of Pro-Mix BX with MYCORISE PRO2 GROWTH ENHANCER. It was $29.95 here in Centreville, VA. The guy selling it said it was by far the best to use (naturally) and said that Miracle Grow Potting soil (what I've always used before) was the worst. :shocked: So I'm expecting good things this year!
Pro Mix Comparo chart - http://www.premierhort.com/eProMix/Horticulture/Products/pdf/eProCompChart.pdf

I've heard great things about Promix. I went on a 2 week quest trying to acquire this substance in Waco last year, but ended up having to settle for MG moisture control :( Couldn't get to the hydro store for coco either.

And no sprouts yet for me. Mine are resting up so they'll be ready to kick all kinds of ass.

Nothing yet here. I started lots of seeds too since they were getting to be several years old and not looking the best. I sure hope at least a couple germinate.
I've used pro-mix BX(and PG) for many years but have found some cheaper alternatives locally that are just as good. $29.95 seems a lot more than what I've been paying, I sure hope my prices here haven't gone up too much this year.

I planted 28 seeds, some from SSE some others that are originally from SSE but the ones that i grew out I believe those are red now and then some from a trade that were marked Fatalii Thin. Still nothing.

Dale

I'm having a hard time keeping my seed tray warm even under my MH lamp with this cold weather. Hopefully over the weekend we'll start. Tony that is what I paid last year for my Pro-mix bales. It was my only real expense last year because I had everything else. I bought 6 bales for 180 bucks, 200 with tax. That is very little to pay for a nice crop of peppers.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I'm having a hard time keeping my seed tray warm even under my MH lamp with this cold weather. Hopefully over the weekend we'll start. Tony that is what I paid last year for my Pro-mix bales. It was my only real expense last year because I had everything else. I bought 6 bales for 180 bucks, 200 with tax. That is very little to pay for a nice crop of peppers.

Where did you get yours?

Pam, I found the Pro-Mix at Hyams Garden Center of Folly Rd. on Johns Island. Really nice garden center and worth the trip. A 3.8 cu. ft. bale really goes a long way as I still have half a bale left from last year. Tell me if you come this way as I'd like to meet up if you like.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:

Hey Cappy - How many 5 gallon containers would you say one bale of Pro-Mix would fill up? The guy I bought it from said their batch had just been delivered 2 weeks ago and that the price was getting ready to go up $10/bale. I might have to p/u another bale while it's still reasonable.

bigt said:
How many 5 gallon containers would you say one bale of Pro-Mix would fill up?

I'd say at least 20 if not more. Just a guess, but those are some big bales by the time you loosen up all that soil. Still no Fatalli hooks yet.:(

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I'd say at least 20 if not more. Just a guess, but those are some big bales by the time you loosen up all that soil. Still no Fatalli hooks yet.:(

Wow - thanks. One bale has me covered. Those Fatalii hooks come quick when they start. My 1st ones took 8 days.

BillyIdle said:
4 1/2 days, and not a sign of any sprouting on my 3 seeds. How is it possible to germinate fataliis in 3-4 days??

I (so far) have got the best result from jiffy pellets. I pre soaked then put the seed in just 1 or 2mm under the surface. Then I put them in a chinese takeaway container, put another container upside down on the top and seal the join with tape. This makes it act as a mini green house. Then I put the container in my grow box which has warmth of 29C and grow lights for when they sprout...

I followed this same procedure with 2 other mediums (coir & seed raising mix) and they are going just as well....

I have had 4 of 9 seeds sprout that I planted monday...

Two Fataliis that I planted on the 12th OF JANUARY have started to sprout. Also, all 6 of my Poblanos have sprouted. Interestingly enough, only one Jalapeno is up.... The problem now is that I've got a ton of Fungus Gnats also.

Here's my setup. Tomatoes and a couple scotch bonnets have popped their heads, nothing else.

the other plant is miracle fruit.

I have a heating mat underneath the hot house.

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

well guys i dont think i will be in this contest.. you guys got off the hook this time ... i will be ready next time .. i think i will be moving real soon and i dont want to start anything else.. :lol:

Back