• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Show Us Your Pubes! Group GLOG From The Rocoto Giveaway

I am starting this thread for folks who received some Pubescens seeds from me through the Pubescens giveaway. I figured it would be fun to see everyone's progress, plus have a general place to share any pics, growing techniques, and general Pubescens knowledge. I wish everyone great success in their gardens this year.

Even if you didn't receive seeds from me, and want to contribute info about your Pubescens plants this year, please feel free to share.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
This Rocoto Santa Natalia is fully mature, and an absolute beast of a plant. I've picked a good 20 pods off of it this season so far, and it just keeps on kicking out fresh pods! This is growing in a 15 gallon pouch, and is seriously massive. I'll be growing this one again next year for sure.

:shocked:

Thegreenchilemonster said:
This Rocoto Santa Natalia is fully mature, and an absolute beast of a plant. I've picked a good 20 pods off of it this season so far, and it just keeps on kicking out fresh pods! This is growing in a 15 gallon pouch, and is seriously massive. I'll be growing this one again next year for sure.

When you say seriously massive, what size are you talking about? Are they rootbound yet in the 15 gallon pouches?

I have 6 Manzano Rojos and they each range from 1.6-1.8 meters (63-70 inches) tall and 2.0-2.5 meters (78-98 inches) wide and have not stopped growing. They are now pretty much rootbound in their 30 liter (8 gallon) coir-filled pots (spraying into the pots with a water hose quickly exposes a network of roots). I really wonder what would be the large enough pot size that the "summer doesn't run out of pot" - much rather have the situation where the "pot runs out of summer". Given that they seem to grow to an unlimited size, next year I am probably only going to grow 2 of them - each in their own 400 liter (100 gallon) wooden box. Growing 6 of them in pots literally consumes half of my 43 m2 (462 sqf) deck and my wife ain't too thrilled about it now.

podz said:

When you say seriously massive, what size are you talking about? Are they rootbound yet in the 15 gallon pouches?

I have 6 Manzano Rojos and they each range from 1.6-1.8 meters (63-70 inches) tall and 2.0-2.5 meters (78-98 inches) wide and have not stopped growing. They are now pretty much rootbound in their 30 liter (8 gallon) coir-filled pots (spraying into the pots with a water hose quickly exposes a network of roots). I really wonder what would be the large enough pot size that the "summer doesn't run out of pot" - much rather have the situation where the "pot runs out of summer". Given that they seem to grow to an unlimited size, next year I am probably only going to grow 2 of them - each in their own 400 liter (100 gallon) wooden box. Growing 6 of them in pots literally consumes half of my 43 m2 (462 sqf) deck and my wife ain't too thrilled about it now.
IDK exactly how big, I don't have time or energy to measure my plants. I'm 6'3" (1.92 meters), and the plant is pretty big to me. Most importantly, pepper plants don't get crazy root bound in fabric pots, due to the quality aeration. 8 gallons is too small IMHO, if you want to get good yields/large pods, from the larger pod Pube cultivars.

Yep, you're right - 8 gal is too small for the large pubes. They are still larger than me in the 8 gal, though :-)

I grew a Rojo last year in a 20 litre (5.2 gallon) AirPot and the roots consumed the entire volume of the pot, albeit in a completely radial manner - there was literally no soil left as the roots ate it all. In that situation, there is nothing left to hold moisture and you need to water it every single day.

This year, I put them in the 8 gallon pots in coir+perlite+vermiculite (as the AirPots dry out way too fast outside in the wind) and although the plants are much larger, the roots have now also consumed all of the volume of the pots. Again, I need to water them every single day.

As said, next year they're going into the yuuuuuge 100 gallon planter boxes. You live and you learn!

The 'Dog wanted to see pics of my Mini Brown...

She done sprung to life--
20190902_122524.jpg

Every node a pair of blossoms--
20190902_122631.jpg

Virtually every damn pair of blossoms become pods--
20190902_122808.jpg

So 'Dog, just how big are these guys supposed to get? Biggest I'm seeing so far is as big around as a thumbnail...

podz said:
How did you get it pollinated inside? Don't they also need day-night temp diff to flower and set fruit?
If you're referring to my Mini Brown, I couldn't tell you. All I know is that some time after bringing it in it started to blossom and I dedicated a Qtip to pollination duty. After the first few pods emerged she went crazy, and continues.

This happened with my Turbo Pube and Rocoto Rojo last year, though much later, like Nov. Dec...

CaneDog said:
The mini-brown pods should reach about the size of a quarter.  I've been thinking the mini brown would make a good indoor grow rocoto with its general compactness and you seem to be confirming with how well yours is doing now.

No, not generally compact. Not at all. It is, in fact, in the act of sprawling. But I got the room and she's loading up with fruit so there's naturally no sensible reason to trim back...

This is a 5 gallon fabric pot.
20190905_093019.jpg

Snapped a handful of shots of some deck pubes today. 

This NOT Mini Brown has smallish (but not mini) pods that ripen to a nice smooth red (but not brown).
20190906 NotMB.jpg

First ripe Tatiana F4. I noticed the stank bug (lower right) after downloading the photo and went out to deal with it before it could mess with the pods. I found it hanging there, stone dead and totally dehydrated in perfect form like it had been stuffed. 
20190906 TatF4-Stank.jpg

Hyperpube CAP 217.  Center is 217xCGN Cardenasii and the right pod is isolated.  Have a bunch more pods glued on this plant because I've been super impressed by it.
20190906 HyperCardTrue.jpg

A couple glued pods took on this Gelbe Riesen.  I recently switched to gluing pods instead of iso bags and things have started to take much better.  I figure part of it is that they're adjusting to the warmer weather and learning to deal with it, but the organza bags have just seemed to kill everything this season.
20190906 Gelbe.jpg

Aw dammit, someone offer me some hope: Effkin wind snapped one of the main branches off my Turbo Pube, over a dozen fully developed but unripe fruits aboard. That's more than the rest of the plant has hanging from it!

Advice? These peppers are textbook perfect Turbos....

20190912_161516.jpg

That's really crappy having those break off.  I think sticking it in water right away is the best thing for it.  Maybe keeping it warm too, while trying to avoid too much/intense sun - ?

Also, I've heard of success using a solution of ACV and sugar in the water of flower vases to help the flowers last longer.  The idea being that the sugar provides food for the plant while the vinegar lowers the pH and retards the bacteria that would otherwise grow quickly in the sugar water and create issues.  Not sure how this would translate to a ripening peppers situation, but this got me thinking that perhaps it could.

EDIT:  Empathy "like," above.

If they are green-ripe, then just hanging the branch upside down to "cure" for a few weeks might even trigger the color break. Once the color breaks, you can pull them off the plant and ripen inside by a window. Probably won't get viable seeds with this technique, though.

I know the feeling: We've been having a damned "Siberian hurricane" here along the south coast for the past few days and my huge plants have been flipped over repeatedly by the high winds.

Back