• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Show Us Your Pubes! Group GLOG From The Rocoto Giveaway

I am starting this thread for folks who received some Pubescens seeds from me through the Pubescens giveaway. I figured it would be fun to see everyone's progress, plus have a general place to share any pics, growing techniques, and general Pubescens knowledge. I wish everyone great success in their gardens this year.

Even if you didn't receive seeds from me, and want to contribute info about your Pubescens plants this year, please feel free to share.

CaneDog said:
That's really crappy having those break off.  I think sticking it in water right away is the best thing for it.  Maybe keeping it warm too, while trying to avoid too much/intense sun - ?

Also, I've heard of success using a solution of ACV and sugar in the water of flower vases to help the flowers last longer.  The idea being that the sugar provides food for the plant while the vinegar lowers the pH and retards the bacteria that would otherwise grow quickly in the sugar water and create issues.  Not sure how this would translate to a ripening peppers situation, but this got me thinking that perhaps it could.

EDIT:  Empathy "like," above.

podz said:
If they are green-ripe, then just hanging the branch upside down to "cure" for a few weeks might even trigger the color break. Once the color breaks, you can pull them off the plant and ripen inside by a window. Probably won't get viable seeds with this technique, though.

I know the feeling: We've been having a damned "Siberian hurricane" here along the south coast for the past few days and my huge plants have been flipped over repeatedly by the high winds.
I've never heard of "green-ripe, but the practice of hanging plants, yes. I actually tried it (unsuccesfully) at the end of my first season growing exotic hots.

The water cup failed me. Leaves on the branch withered overnite, so I figure my best chance to salvage pods will be to hang the branch in the studio, the darkest, coolest room in the house.

Back to "green-ripe"--if my assumption is correct, most of my Pubescens have a perpensity to turn a very dark green just before color appears. Green-ripe, then? These Turbos have been almost black for over a month, the wife & I have actually discussed whether they would start to orange up.

I hope that they're close enough to finish. I do have two ripe pods so far...

2019-09-13 07.49.34.jpg

podz said:
Interesting stuff. Yes, these pods are "mature green", full size and very dark. They've been like this for over a month, I like to call "on the verge". Sad thing is that these peppers will hang there "on the verge" for weeks and more. Best example: Aji Amarillo.

Thanks for your input guys...

*EDIT* Hey CD, I just came up from checking on those dismemberment victims, and one of them is definitely showing a slight yellowish tinge just below the calyx...I'm not sure if I should move them or not...The studio right now is at 66 degrees F with 60% humidity. I can hang them in a sunny warm south window, whaddaya think?

This is the bulk of my Arequipeños, golf ball sized mostly. The plant gave me nothing last year, so I'm happy enough. Next season we'll try a 20 gal. fabric, see how she do, eh?
20191013_152132.jpg

The apple is a honeycrisp, halfway between a softball & a baseball. Mighty good, picked right after first frost...

Oh, and that Turbo branch what broke....EVERY pod turned ripe. Yay!

stettoman said:
Thanks 'Dog, I'm looking forward to next season...

Hey look, and every one of these little guys was hand pollinated indoors, I should get a nice bag of seeds!
attachicon.gif
20191014_153528.jpg

That's awesome!  I think I mentioned, but I pulled hybrids on 2 of my 3 mini brown plants.  Great to see you have the real deal - and getting a good bag of ISO seeds from it is even better. The XL Brown still shows no signs of ripening, but it has some big green pods on it.

The 2 hybrid mini brown plants are identical to one another, with really good looking collared red pods only slightly larger than the mini browns.  I plan to grow out several of the seeds next season and see what comes of it when the recessive genes show up.

I have 2 big De Sedas in the ground.  Each has set some really nice pods, but neither has started to ripen yet. In the past they've ranged from an honest, though not a bright, yellow to yellow/orange for me depending on the season/growing conditions, but never a true orange. Your seeds are isolated from a 3rd year plant, which produced some perfect yellow pods as well as some yellow/orange ones in different seasons. This year, for whatever reason, it seems a number of my yellow varieties (of chinense anyway) have been putting out more orange/orangish pods, especially earlier in the season.

Got any pics of the ripe pods?  And hey, did you get all the aphids cleared up inside?

CaneDog said:
Got any pics of the ripe pods?  And hey, did you get all the aphids cleared up inside?
Yep,
20191015_132031.jpg

And nope. I'm pretty sure the aphid issue may go on for a long while. Trying to do mostly mechanical (squish-squish) eradication, ladybugs & mantises not welcome (SWMBO's orders), and I don't want to pyrethrin ourselves out of the house.

I have no doubt the guys will survive if I keep on top of them....

Hmm.  Except for the color, what I see looks reasonably on-type. I've seen the pods more angular, but it has the general triangle look.  That color though looks too red for what this de seda should ever produce.  It's weird, because the seeds I sent you were net-bag isolated, which really should minimize cross-pollination to a very small risk. I'll be interested to see what mine look like as they ripen.

That said, that's a healthy plant and a good-looking color on the pod.  Hopefully the pods will taste great and they can still be a winner.

stettoman said:
Looks like I'm in for quite the winter....

Mini Brown
attachicon.gif
20190924_082032.jpg

Got a pint of pyrethrins concentrate, I have a feeling they're gonna get thick...

Oh, and so far only one of those Turbos have turned ripe, still have faith....
I thought some seed starter had dropped on my Pubes, the Peach aphids were so bad at one point. I started with a few ladybugs and other predators, to get the numbers down and then went hunting with a cotton swab and a little cap of water with a drop or two of dishsoap. All of my Pubes (indoors this is) have been sans aphids for at least a couple weeks, maybe longer.. I'm still struggling with my Charapita and a small African Devil though. It's a lot harder for the small ones to hide and duck you in the dense hairs of the Pubes, is my best guess. I spot swab the plants now once or twice a day to keep them in check and, hopefully, wipe them all out eventually. They are small enough to dunk but I have a couple predators roaming around and don't want to have an accident. All of the plants really seemed to enjoy the attention and extra pampering and I was rewarded with some nice toning of leaves and increased vigor, not to mention getting all the honeydew off the leaves.. With none of the toxic shock of more harsh methods. 

CraftyFox said:
De Seda, back inside for the other half of the year.. Beautiful pods, can't wait to try one.

Mini Brown finally blooms! But it won't stop me from topping it.

And the rest of the Pubes,including some recent, trouble-free clones in water.. If only I had marked which ones they were  :rolleyes: 

dstPFwgl.jpg

Im gunna give it a shot with my Aji oro. Did you use any rooting product or just straight water? Ive got a mild hydro solution (CNS17 Grow)i might try.

Back