• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

sicman's "Third Turtle Ranch"

Devv said:
Around here they sour up some corn, once it gets really nasty they will find it. It's the primary bait that they use in hog traps.

I'm surprised you have a daytime pic of them, I've seen a few while hunting late in the afternoon, but not many. Around my place they tear up the dripline perimeters under the Live Oak trees where the acorns drop.
While they were hanging out, this sounder of pigs had a somewhat of a schedule.  Often, they would appear around 10am.  They hung around turning up the ground at the edges of the various ponds.  They stayed out in the open quite a bit.  After the two were hit on the road, I heard several discharges from what sounded like several good sized hunting rifles from that area......

Sweet looking pod :)

Outlaw......did you find it to have a bitter bhut flavor only to have it finish floral like a Moruga?  I like this pepper.  Don't you love it when nature just happens, and the outcome is unique and tasty!

Lady Sic said:
Outlaw......did you find it to have a bitter bhut flavor only to have it finish floral like a Moruga?  I like this pepper.  Don't you love it when nature just happens, and the outcome is unique and tasty!

Yes I definitely agree - very strong bhut smell/flavor up front, but then got the last hint of floral before I couldn't think straight  :fireball: Overall I think it was an awesome pod and hopefully the few seeds I saved will be good for me next season :) 

Funny you mention the "nature" thing. I was telling a buddy at work about my garden and the hot peppers I was growing and how the official world record pepper has been changing every few years. He was like "Why would you want some genetically modified lab pepper?" and I went on to explain how peppers can naturally cross in the garden and how different peppers are coming along all of the time. I personally think its fascinating and is one of the reasons that keeps this hobby interesting.

outlaw said:
Hope all is well on the Ranch!

I had the pleasure of trying the "mystery pod" on Sunday - was very impressed! Immediate heat and good burn, was surprised I didnt have any cramps....

I just recorded a review for it. should be up in a day or two. It doesn't give me any cap cramps or burning gut either. I find that really odd for a pepper this hot.
These pods are very special IMO.

I planted some seeds from the "mystery" and a brown bhut moruga looking thing on 8/2.  At this point, there is about 75% germination on the mystery and 70% on the other.  I am so intrigued with the "mystery" plant.  Of the 75% that have popped, 10% of those have purple foliage.  I am posting just a few pics 

Pretty purple tinted blossoms on the "mother" plant

This pepper is from a different plant that came out of the original brown moruga pod that started me in this madness.....

I can't find a pic of the brown bhut moruga pod, but if I do...I'll post it too

oh wait...I found another picture of weird pods out of this group of plants.........so the seeds I planted from the brown pod resemble these to a tee.....except of course...they are .....brown

sicman said:
im very curious what the seeds will do.   maybe ill harvest some and mail them out to diffrent peeps at diffrent locations and see what this pepper is going to do.
That would be cool. If that happens let me know. I'm game to isolate a couple in the garden next year.

Lady Sic said:
I planted some seeds from the "mystery" and a brown bhut moruga looking thing on 8/2.  At this point, there is about 75% germination on the mystery and 70% on the other.  I am so intrigued with the "mystery" plant.  Of the 75% that have popped, 10% of those have purple foliage.  I am posting just a few pics 

Pretty purple tinted blossoms on the "mother" plant

This pepper is from a different plant that came out of the original brown moruga pod that started me in this madness.....

I can't find a pic of the brown bhut moruga pod, but if I do...I'll post it too
oh wait...I found another picture of weird pods out of this group of plants.........so the seeds I planted from the brown pod resemble these to a tee.....except of course...they are .....brown

Beautiful looking blossom. Interesting only 10% has purple foliage.

Thanks for sharing guys.

Chuck

ocd   fo sure i will send you some seeds. hogleg youre going to isolate some also?i want to get several people to grow them. we will see how ity all plays out.   our property is getting a major overall this fall/winter.   a barn and stables are being put up in the back pasture. and in the nursery area all old barns are being tore down and lots more shade house and office will be built. we are very excited for these improvements.  here is a pic of nursery area as of today. things are going to be very diffrent soon.

quick pic of Sven are property manager.

finally a pic of a turtle.  they are harder to get a pic and faster than you think.   this dudette ;)  is huge.

PexPeppers said:

Ill do it up here in PA. 
ok. i do want to say that all that do grow it out towards making it a stable strain. i need it to be isolated and i will end up wanting several of the best pods that you grow.

also:  im more than happy/dont care if you just grow it out with 30 other varities side by side. i only ask just grow it as a wild and dont ever try to name it anything.  i think its silly to even bring this up but with how crazy this pepper world gets sometimes i dont want anything even remotely pointing towards me. 

infact once this pepper is stable it will be named after my wife. she is the one that hollered until we kept a few of the plants.  its a sexy sweet pod and it does need to be played with.  

That turtle is a "dudette"............she was scouting for a sandy, sunny place to lay eggs when I encountered her the first time....she literally ran away before I could get my camera........later that day, I saw her again in a different spot.  She was tossing sand everywhere!  Compared the two spots I had found her, and found a tube like hole (about 2" wide) at each site.
She is huge....2' wide, 3' long...her head and neck was the size of my forearm and fist.

Back