• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sideshow Gardens Grow Log.

Here's where it all starts at Sideshow Gardens. The seedling room. Heat and humidity controlled. The trays will only spend a couple days here til they get moved outside. Our daytime temps have been wonderful lately but night time temps are still pretty low so they all get brought back inside at night. Quite the chore since the seedling room is upstairs and I currently have way more trays than what is pictured. I've started tomatoes and peppers so far but that accounts for only a quarter of what I'll be growing. Stay tuned for further updates. Thanks for looking!

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Nope but my bengal used to love it. Afterwards he would get the munchies and want to crash in the lap. My little female likes it but not nearly as much.
This is my bangal. She is the reason I can't have plants indoors.. Except the grow room obviously

Attachments

• 20160813_174840~4.jpg
    20160813_174840~4.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 45
Edmick said:
This is my bangal. She is the reason I can't have plants indoors.. Except the grow room obviously
Beautiful cat! Wow! Plants look great do you give those seedling a full dose of calmag like why ever amount it says per gallon or do you do less?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinn said:
Beautiful cat! Wow! Plants look great do you give those seedling a full dose of calmag like why ever amount it says per gallon or do you do less?

The product I'm using which is botanicare cal mag plus is 2ml per gallon for seedlings. A lot of my plants are past seedling stage but I'll see how they do on the 2mls for now and bump it up if I need to

Edmick said:
The product I'm using which is botanicare cal mag plus is 2ml per gallon for seedlings. A lot of my plants are past seedling stage but I'll see how they do on the 2mls for now and bump it up if I need to
Yeah I have the same one used it once as a foliar spray got some leaf burn haven’t used it again

Edmick said:
These giant white habs are doing amazing after their dose of cal mag last Thursday. Thanks to TrentL for all the help! The lesson learned here, use cal mag or a product with enough in it when growing in coir! Even pre-buffered coir apparently.

You're welcome, buddy! 

Now get those damn things potted up already!!! :)

I hear lots of talk about Calmag but CNS17 3-1-2 Grow has nearly as much calcium and about half the magnesium. There are several cheaper products with double the calcium too such as Jobes water soluble tomato and veggie (6-7%). Its under $4 for 10oz. at Menards. Used half strength its easily half the price for the same amount of calcium and would only be 1.5-.5-1

I understand things are different with hydro but what am i missing here? What makes calmag worth $15-16/quart? Its mainly calcium nitrate which can be had for around $6/4lbs and its 19% calcium.

The first thing that stands out is the jobes only makes 30 gallons at $5. My nutrient solution (dyna gro) makes over 300 gallons at $17. My cal mag (botanicare cal mag plus) is $15 and makes 480 gallons at the dose I'm using. I'm not sure if jobes is rated for hydroponic/coco coir use but the math alone would be enough to make me stick with what I have. It would cost $50 to $60 in jobes to acheive what I get for $32. Even using jobes at half strength would end up costing around the same and I think dyna gro is a higher quality product thats actually intended for hydro use.
EDIT: my bottle of dyna gro actually makes 394 gallons to be more precise.

OK gotcha. It just seems really high for a product that is more or less calcium nitrate. When i look at their feed chart of 5ml(1tsp) that comes out to 192 gallons.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
OK gotcha. It just seems really high for a product that is more or less calcium nitrate.
I hear what you're saying. It hurts the wallet everytime I need to buy it but it's really concentrated and lasts a really really long time for the average gardener.

the 394 gallons is full strength too which is what I give my larger plants but my little guys get half that so I might be somewhere in the range of 500 gallons per bottle. It's hard to figure exactly but at half strenght it costs me $.04 per gallon and at full its $.08 when dosing dyna gro and cal mag concurrently. The jobes works out to be $.09 per gallon at half strength. Most people probably don't think about it that much but I kinda have to since I'm growing for profit.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Sorry for the derail BTW. I just had horrible end rot with my maters last year and poor luck with coco. Almost lost a MOA yellow until i repotted it into a Wally bag.
I wasn't off to a very good start with coco either but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Theres definitely a little learning curve involved when trying it for the first time. I'm still not sure if I'm going to continue using it.

Back