• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Silver Surfer's 2010 Grow

Thanks folks.

P, they aren't doing well at all and although there has been plenty of rain they don't see much of it due to the plastic mulch. In fact the rain has dropped in buckets several times and washed the wheat straw I had covering the landscape fabric downhill, so that the upper half is now bare. I can readily see the size of the plants make a gradual height/health increase from the row's head to its end. No more soaker hose will be used by me on a slope. :(

It's not just that they aren't getting water, but also their share of the occasional nutes I add to the water hose with an injector. It will be better next season after the compost I added this Spring has a chance to break down (should have done that last fall) and I switch the system to drip tape. This is only the third year I've worked this particular spot as a garden and it will probably take at least another three to get it amended to my satisfaction, but that's part of the fun. :)

The thunderstorms here can be very windy and about a week ago my corn was flattened to the ground. I threw up my hands in disgust and left it alone and it probably won't do much.

So everything is never perfect in Dixieland, but there's always next year. :)

Thanks folks.P, they aren't doing well at all and although there has been plenty of rain they don't see much of it due to the plastic mulch. In fact the rain has dropped in buckets several times and washed the wheat straw I had covering the landscape fabric downhill, so that the upper half is now bare. I can readily see the size of the plants make a gradual height/health increase from the row's head to its end. No more soaker hose will be used by me on a slope. :(It's not just that they aren't getting water, but also their share of the occasional nutes I add to the water hose with an injector. It will be better next season after the compost I added this Spring has a chance to break down (should have done that last fall) and I switch the system to drip tape. This is only the third year I've worked this particular spot as a garden and it will probably take at least another three to get it amended to my satisfaction, but that's part of the fun. :)The thunderstorms here can be very windy and about a week ago my corn was flattened to the ground. I threw up my hands in disgust and left it alone and it probably won't do much. So everything is never perfect in Dixieland, but there's always next year. :)

What you may want to try if your plants aren't getting enough water d/t the plastic mulch/downhill grade/whatev:

Get a bunch of empty 2 liter soda bottles, cut the bottoms of them off, poke holes in the sides, and bury them every so often in your garden.
It's a bit of a pain to fill each bottle a few times from the hose so that the roots get a drink, but it may be helpful if your water is just flowing on past.
The Momster uses it for her tomato plants and it's a cheap and easy solution.

I appreciate the suggestion SD, but the whole purpose was to avoid the manual watering gig (I get enough of that with my #5s). I'll fix it next year and will still have more pods than I can possibly use this season anyway. :)

Another little update.

Aconcagua
Aconcagua.jpg

Aji Amarillo
AjiAmarillo-1.jpg

Aji Cereza
AjiCereza-1.jpg

Bhut It's not doing much yet.
Bhut.jpg

Black Hungarian You can see my flattened corn in the background.
BlackHungarian-3.jpg

Costeno Amarillo This one's fuzzy like a pube.
CostenoAmarillo-1.jpg

Dorset I was calling this a Caribbean Red, but...
Dorset.jpg

Dorset now it appears to be another Dorset.
DorsetPods.jpg

Purple Flash I tasted one of these for ya Maligator. No heat and very little flavor.
I'll let one get more red and see, but these pods are only about the
size of a huckleberry and almost solid. So far I'd say strictly ornamental.
PurpleFlash-1.jpg

Brain Strain This one's blushing. I don't have much longer to live.
BrainStrainPod.jpg

Harvest 6-27-10 I didn't have many chilies to pick, so I added a little filler.
Harvest6-27-10.jpg

Pod Harvest Tiny harvest, but pretty colors with several elephino pods.
HarvestPods6-27-10.jpg

dense, green, full, healthy, lots of pods, not sign of growth stopping = dream plants! You can't get better, and it's sill June! That "yellow" hab has very cool pods. Strange that it's orange. i wish my orange habs grew like that. what are you going to do with that "motley crue" harvest?

Good gawd ss...had no idea you had that big of an operation going! Diggin those toms! Are there a few brandywine there?

I am truly envious.Great plants,pods and garden.What are the over all demensions of your garden?it is awsome. :dance:

Ah SS looking good down there. I am having total zone and region envy right now. We are having one of the coolest springs and summers on record. God I would do anything for 75-80* right now. No but I'll have to settle for 63* and rain.

SS it may be a good thing all of your plants aren't producing, the rest of the bunch is looking like they're going to make up for it. Still hate to see a pepper planted not produce. Freaking bummer about the corn. Not much better than fresh from the garden sweet corn.

Mother nature has been on the warpath for a while hasn't she? Just spent a weekend at mom's in Iowa and we got flooded out. I guess all we can do is do our best and hope for the best.

Best of luck to you bro.

Thanks fellas.

dense, green, full, healthy, lots of pods, not sign of growth stopping = dream plants! You can't get better, and it's sill June! That "yellow" hab has very cool pods. Strange that it's orange. i wish my orange habs grew like that. what are you going to do with that "motley crue" harvest?

There's not enough to do much, so I'm just satisfying my craving for fresh pods and snackin' on em. :)

Good gawd ss...had no idea you had that big of an operation going! Diggin those toms! Are there a few brandywine there?

Yeah, there are a couple of Stump of the World varieties of Brandywine, along with several Cherokee Purple, a couple of Kentucky Beefsteak (orange ones), some Celebtity tomatoes as well as Tommy Toe and Sun Gold cherries.

I am truly envious.Great plants,pods and garden.What are the over all demensions of your garden?it is awsome. :dance:

It's around 40' x 80'.

Back