• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Silver Surfer's 2012 Season Shots

Forming the hilled rows and installing the drip tubing.
HilledRows.jpg

Black plastic mulch and drip line installed.
PlasticMulchInstalled.jpg

Drip lines connected to header/valve assembly.
HeaderInstalled.jpg

Plants hardened and ready for transplant to the garden.
Chillis1_4-28-12.jpg

A closer shot.
Chillis2_4-28-12.jpg

Another view.
Chillis3_4-28-12.jpg

I hope to get about 140 of these transplanted this evening.

Thanks everyone.

great shot surfer...

I know in the past you have said where in 'bama you are, but please remind me...I want to kinda get an idea of the soil type you are in....I know 'bama has basically 5 soil (if you lump coastal marshes with flood plains and limestone valleys and appalacian plateaus) types...I am betting you are in a coastal plain region...

here's a map...I am interested because when I was at Auburn in Wildlife Management, I had an agronomy course where we went to all 5 different areas...then had a botany class next year where we studied all the plant life in those different areas....great knowledge...this is a borrowed map I found on the net....

soils_map-alabama.jpg

Right here AJ, but topsoil depth varies around here and the land is terraced. I chose a sweet spot at the bottom of 2 slopes where the topsoil was deepest. :) Yup, it's a light sandy loam that you can see in earlier pics of this log and I improve drainage by running a sub-soiler 2 feet deep to break the hardpan. About a foot down you hit red clay.
soils_map-alabama.jpg

AJ, I won't tell you the city (if he wants to tell you he can) but he is in a coastal plains region.

In other news...Silver Surfer has graciously invited me to his massive chile farm to help him harvest some pods tomorrow. I'm looking forward to meeting this legend of the pepper plants. I will definitely have a camera in hand and try to take some awesome pictures. Me and him started talking about this a couple months back and the stars must have aligned just right or something because I'm finally able to get down his way and help him. I'm so freaking excited.

"Legend of the pepper plants" Laughing my ass off right now. :lol:

Great shots as usual SS but that little plastic baggie in the first shot ain't gonna hold many pods. Maybe use a 50 pound tater sack ;)

And Vince I am so jealous of you :woohoo:

I had a hab tunnel last year myself SS. I went slightly wider in hopes of avoiding the crawl myself this year, but now I have a hab/scorpion/chocolate hab tunnel. Just happy I don't have the ants you have. Biters sucks in the garden. Enjoy the help harvesting.

SS I can't thank you enough or ever repay you for your kindness. You're a cool dude and grow some hellacious plants. I'll post pics on here tomorrow of my haul. I hope we did a good enough job. I had a great time and thanks again for allowing me to come down

SS I can't thank you enough or ever repay you for your kindness. You're a cool dude and grow some hellacious plants. I'll post pics on here tomorrow of my haul. I hope we did a good enough job. I had a great time and thanks again for allowing me to come down

You're quite welcome. Hope ya enjoy the harvest as much as I enjoyed the visit and the beer. Lookin' forward to the pics. :)

I enjoyed the harvest very much, I dont have all of the pictures taken yet but here are a few

The over all haul
Bags1.jpg

Bags2.jpg

Yellow Brain Strains
YellowBrainStrain.jpg

Red Brain Strains
RedBrainStrain.jpg

Your Douglah X Chocolate Scorpions
DouglahXChocoScorpion.jpg

The Douglah X Butch T
DouglahXButchT.jpg

Billy Boy Jonah's
BillyBoyJonah.jpg

Billy Boy Douglah's
BillyBoyDouglah.jpg

7 Pot Yellow Large
7PotYellowLarge.jpg

7 Pot SR Strain
7PotSRStrain.jpg

Need a bump to do the rest

bump

how long does that take to pick them all?

It took me and my mother about 5 hours to go through 3 of silver surfers 4 rows.

7 Pot Primo
7PotPrimo.jpg

7 Pot Chaguanas
7PotChaguanas.jpg

7 Pot Burgundy
7PotBurgundy.jpg

7 Pot Barrackpore
7PotBarrackpore.jpg

That's all the pics I have for now, it took me quite a while to sort through and count all the bags. Still not done, have to pick back up when I get home from work.

An amazing experience to say the least. I know I've already said it, but I can just never thank SS enough.

Now that is a serious harvest.
Garden is rockin, SS, fun to see how it's grown out.

Continued success, bro!

Quite a haul. :dance:(calmly understated!)

How is the flavor on the Burgandies and Chaguanas?

Thanks everyone.

Right here AJ, but topsoil depth varies around here and the land is terraced. I chose a sweet spot at the bottom of 2 slopes where the topsoil was deepest. :) Yup, it's a light sandy loam that you can see in earlier pics of this log and I improve drainage by running a sub-soiler 2 feet deep to break the hardpan. About a foot down you hit red clay.
soils_map-alabama.jpg

"Legend of the pepper plants" Laughing my ass off right now. :lol:

So , If I was looking for one of these for S. Louisiana...what I call it "officially"?
Thanks-
Dave

I havent tried either the burgundy or the chagaunas, but i'm guessing they're going to be hot haha. Yea, I walked away from Silver Surfers with somewhere around 45 walmart bags full of different varities of pods. It was ridiculous.

He gave you the pods or you bought them?

I see the auctions are in full force!

Gave them to me. Told me I could have as many as I could pick and fit in my car. Also I cleared it with Silver Surfer to do auctions with these. He is fully aware that I would be doing auctions

Great shots as usual SS but that little plastic baggie in the first shot ain't gonna hold many pods. Maybe use a 50 pound tater sack ;)

And Vince I am so jealous of you :woohoo:

One variety per bag. :)

I had a hab tunnel last year myself SS. I went slightly wider in hopes of avoiding the crawl myself this year, but now I have a hab/scorpion/chocolate hab tunnel. Just happy I don't have the ants you have. Biters sucks in the garden. Enjoy the help harvesting.

At least ya get to pick in the shade. ;)

Now that is a serious harvest.
Garden is rockin, SS, fun to see how it's grown out.

Continued success, bro!

Thanks, pickin' is a lot like work in this heat.

So , If I was looking for one of these for S. Louisiana...what I call it "officially"?
Thanks-
Dave

Google "Louisiana soil survey map"

Man. Time to fly to Allen's house. Where ya live again?! Lol. Nice harvest.

Bama is a long, long way from Cali. :cheers:

That is quite the haul. Incredible garden/farm.

Thanks
Just a small patch; I quit farmin' years ago.

Here's the harvest from the last short row ya left unpicked Vincent. I say short row because there are 11 thus far unproductive Manzanos in that row leaving 26 plants that were picked; actually only 25 because I skipped the tiny Aribibi Gusano.
Harvest8-14-12-A.jpg

The kinky Aji Yellow was loaded with 614 pods picked today from that single plant.
KinkyAjiYellow.jpg

Screwed up and got these fire ants pissed today. Damn those worthless insects.
rocketwhore.gif

FireAntbed.jpg

Got the seed for this plant from Billy Boy and it was supposed to be a red Douglah (one of the 2 grew true), so I'm unsure what I've got here. He did mention last year he was working on a Douglah x Fatalii cross, but I'll await his comments about this cool plant or should I say hot Chinense. :lol:
UnknownChinense1.jpg

Some pods have the shape of a Douglah, other have a stinger and yet other just look wicked 7 cool.
UnknownChinense2.jpg

It ripens yellow and lights ya up like a forth of July fireworks show. I'll save seeds from this one and see what happens next season. :)
UnknownChinense3.jpg

Amazing harvest as usual SS that mixture of Douglah X fatalii sounds great and the shape looks like a killer. Always amazing to see when the Jack Daniels comes out. Great work

Back