• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Slade122's 2014 Greenhouse GLOG

I update the following spreadsheet pretty much daily with information about the plants, etc. This also allows me to keep track of when to expect/allow flowering to occur. This is the first generation of my spreadsheet designed by myself.
Download My Veggie Tracking Spreadsheet

Sprouting Setup Overview. I’m using a 2ft 2bulb T5HO shop light with a pair of 14 watt Warm White bulbs. I’m considering picking up another one of those lights to match so that I have a total of 56 watts to make strong seedlings with heavy-duty stems.

From left to right: Ring of Fire Cayenne, Hungarian Hotwax, Scotch Bonnet, Super Sweet 100 Tomato, Super Sioux Tomato, Yellow Pear Tomato, Calico Pepper, Fish Pepper, Bell Mix
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Peppers I plan to sprout ASAP: Carolina Reaper, Atomic Starfish, Fatalii, Datil, Giant Jalapeno.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Peppers I already have: Early Jalapeno, Thai Super Chili, Hatch Chile. I also have Bells, but they will most likely be culled.[/SIZE]

Let the Growing Begin!

Finally, some progress you guys can see. Most of the peppers are up. 2 of the varieties had extremely poor germination. 1/4 pots had a seedling. Otherwise, all of the ones from my first mass spawning are up.

Some are starting to pop up in trays 2 and 3. Tray 4 was just planted yesterday - variety list coming.

What I thought were manzano seedlings do appear to be morning glories - I could have grabbed the wrong bag with black seeds.

All of the seedlings are being fed Fox Farm's Microbe Brew and Bloom Booster, plus a touch of liquid fish for a bit of an N boost.

Sprouted Variety list as of 10/6.

4" pots:
3 bhut jolokia
3 manzano Habs
3 pepperoni
2 lemon drop
3 Arroz con Pollo

Tray 1:
4 Rojo morado
1 giant cayenne
4 orange Habs
1 helmet head guajillo
4 Chile de Arbol
3 tobasco
4 piquin b
4 piquin c

Tray 2
4 golden marconi
3 long thai
0 scotch bonnet
0 tepin
0 fish
0 cherry

Tray 3
0 calico
0 Hungarian hot wax
0 early jal
0 ring o fire cayenne

Tray 4 planted 10/5
Moshi
Yellow mini bell
Red mini bell
Craigs grande jal
Trinidad scorpion
Datil
India jwala
Maules red hot
Criolla de cocina

Red 7 pot crawfish Etouffee

I used about an 1/8 of a pod in my dinner last night (thanks to randyP!) and really enjoyed the flavor and spice, I could have done a quarter of the pod pretty easily.

I ate a small peice of the 7 pot raw, which felt like I was eating fire for a bit. I could feel the oil immediately spreading and coating all of my mouth, turning it in to an infernal rage. I swallowed with great difficulty as my eyes watered and I sat for a minute to realize what I had done. One of the things that I noticed is that the spiciness seemed to fade rather quickly especially compared to my super Thais. The flavor on the 7 pots in the etouffee was great - no dirty or bitter tastes that I could detect, but in fact a sweet flavor that complimented the crawfish well.

Thanks again for my box of spice RandyP!

I added another Hydrofarm FLT24 to my seedling starting zone. These fluorescent lights use 4x 24w T5 HO bulbs for a total of 96 watts of output. These units ship with Agrobrite 6500k bulbs which have been great thus far.

True leaves are forming on a number of the varieties. Looking very green and strong. I brush my seedlings by hand a few times a day to strengthen the stem.

An update on the seedlings

Second shelf

Continuing to grow, and moderately quickly. The size difference and leaf shapes vary quite a bit - pretty amazing. I'm happy with the growth so far. I've been using small amounts of bat guano and earthworm castings to keep them happy.

I'm not going to replant any varieties which had poor germination unless I feel this unquenchable urge to grow something specific.

I planted red 7's, yellow 7's and reapers on the 14th. 8 of each in hydroponic medium for hydroponic production.

Excellent work as always I'm germing up 40 reapers over the next few weeks staggered should be interesting to see the difference.

I'll do my reapers purely hydroponically.

Pr0digal_son said:
I want that greenhouse...nice!

The manzano seedlings look like morning glory seedlings.
I thought the same thing.  I have never seen pepper cotys like that,
although I'm certain I haven't seen all there is to see!!

Your grow shelf and set-up are awesome.
Those T5 HO will do the job, all right!

Good luck getting those seedlings into adolescence!

Yet another update on my little guys. They're growing much more quickly now that they have some real leaves. Most of the types are working on their second or third set now, so we will make it in to adolescence shortly.

Here is my first 2 trays of seeds, plus the 6th one (left) which has Reapers, Red 7 pods, and Yellow 7 pods.

Trays 3, 4, and 5 are going okay. I'm not a very big fan of the trays on the left and right. They always seems to dry out very unevenly, and go from damp to bone dry very quickly. I ended up losing 6 seedlings because the ones in the back dried out substantially faster than the ones in the front and I didn't notice. I will be re-planting the Golden Marconi's as it is one of the few sweet peppers that I really wanted to give a shot. They are very expensive for me to get in the store, but I like the flavor of it quite a bit. The seed stock I used for those was also older (serveral years) which may have played a part in the lower percentage germinated when compared to the individual small pots that I used.

I setup my cloner a few days ago. My girlfriend wanted some clones of these plants, so we grabbed a few cuttings and I threw them in my cloner. It's a Turboklone T24, but I have it run through a 1 minute on - 4 minute off cycle timer to keep the temps down so I don't have problems with rotting or anaerobic conditions. I mounted my 2-bulb T5 HO for the bottom shelf, which is more than enough light to keep the cuttings going. I have 4 of these cuttings, and all of them formed roots in 3 to 4 days. After they have a decent amount of roots I will put them in a small pot with soil.

How are those pubescens crosses doing?

How are those pubescens crosses doing?

Good to see that you are checking up on me paul.

Here are the manzano habs. Growth is pretty good thus far. At this point you can already see which varieties are going to be faster than others.

The ghosts and piquins are by far the slowest from my original set. Chile de arbol have been the most agressive.

I've been foliar feeding every other day and notice the difference when I don't very quickly. It seems to keep the leaves darker green and flatter.

Because of the results, foliar may be the way I go in the future in addition to adding ferts to water like normal. A tiny bit of fertilizer seems to make a world of difference at this stage.

They look great.  Will be interesting to see what comes from them!

An update on my adults.

Firstly, I'll start off with the adult Tequila Sunrise pepper plant. 

I now know why they call the variety 'Tequila Sunrise.' Beautiful 3-4" or so pods, Macaroni Orange in color when fully ripe. As the pepper changes colors it is truly spectacular to witness. When I bought the plant, it had very small peppers on it, but now the peppers are large and very firm. I like a pepper that "cracks" or "snaps" when you sqeeze it hard enough. That's one way that I use to gauge the quality of my peppers. I consistently find that when a pepper has very firm flesh, that it frequently contains more oils, juices, and a stronger seed core with more seeds as compared to one that has flesh that is not as firm.

This time of year is the time when I can find adult pepper plants for cheap, as nurseries are getting ready to close out all of that stuff, so I have been fortunate to find some rock bottom prices on adult plants. I'm always on the lookout for peppers at this time of year, and I came across some mini bells last week. The two that I am about to show you looked pretty rough when I bought them in the store, but they recovered in a few days time. The soil that they came with holds a bit too much water for my taste. I gave them a boost of Fox Farm's Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom, plus some Cal-mag to firm up the peppers, but it may be too late.

Yellow Mini Bell - This thing is really loaded down. Pepper quality isn't up to my standards because the peppers where near ripe when I purchased.

Orange Mini Bell, this one only has a few peppers on it. Several of the peppers aborted due to BER - so it has been getting extra Cal-mag.
[/U

These guys were attacked by one of my Chickens that loves pepper plants apparently, however even after being mutilated they still held on to some of their peppers. From left to right: Rocket Chile, Purple Prince, Hot Banana, Pequin "A," and another Hot Banana. These guys are bottom-watered via a hydroponic system - however they are in a Coco/Soil/Perlite mix. The tomatoes off to the right are taking over the world - The weather has been perfect here, mid 80's during the day and mid 60's at night, so the tomatoes are making a TON of fruits.
[URL=http://s776.photobucket.com/user/slade122/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/20141028_181238_zpsndhju2l1.jpg.html]

I wanted to do a shot of my hydroponic Mint. I give this stuff away constantly to family, friends, neighbors, etc. because it grows so quickly. Whenever I brush the basil or mint bushes in my yard, the whole yard immediately beings to smell like the plant that was brushed. I think mint is the ideal plant for the beginner gardener, it grows like a weed, impossible to kill, and is adaptable to variable nutrient levels. During the summer I constantly make green tea with mint and lime because it's very refreshing. If you have never grown mint before, be sure to plant it in a container, not in the ground. It spreads everywhere and is seems to thrive in all sorts of conditions. Although, this example is heavily fertilized.

Seedling shots coming tomorrow, and they are growing well. I'm celebrating 6 years with my girlfriend today, so I've been busy with my "due diligence." In addition, I'll be posting my Salsa methodology as I'll be making a big pot for a halloween party.  Ghost peppers seem like a fitting pepper for a Halloween batch of Salsa. :party:

I always worry about making spicy food for parties... The reason I worry is because what some people call "melt your face off hot," is usually very mild to me, although in Texas we do have plenty of people who are pepper heads, but maybe not SuperHot pepper heads like many of the individuals around THP. For a while I had a co-worker who thought they would try to burn my face off by bringing in peppers to me for a while, and I would just munch on them at my desk, or just bite in to them immediately. After they went through about 12 varieties they were growing, they stopped bringing them in :(

This post - My Salsa Methodolody.

Later today I'll be posting up some seedling pics.

Anyways... On with the Salsa.

First things first, Grab some onions. Texas Sweet Yellow onions create a wonderful flavor in this salsa. I highly suggest some large yellow Texas sweet onions. If you've never had Texas sweet onions, get some ASAP. They will change your life. Peel them and cut them in half so they absorb more flavor later on in the process.

Next, I wash my tomatoes and peppers, and remove any tops. You can leave the seeds and core in your peppers. I use sweet mini bells as my base pepper flavor. Sometimes I prefer Jalapenos, which give it a different flavor, but I almost always include mini bells to create a base. I prefer them over large bells as they have a higher sugar content. I used a mix of Campari and Roma tomatoes. Romas are for volume, and the campari's add a sweetness to the salsa. Experiment with different tomato varieties to see what works best for you. I generally suggest a larger tomato or roma, combined with 2-3oz sized sweeter tomatoes.

Now that you have everything ready, Fire up the grill and wait a few minutes for it to heat up, then throw all of your goodies on there. Turn all of your items so that they soften evenly. The peppers will develop a blackened exterior in areas, When soft you can remove them. The Juices from the tomatoes should be boiling out of the skin, and should be soft when you remove them. The onions should be softened as well.

When everything is done, take it back inside. Be sure to save all of the juices. It should look something like this.

Alright, now they we have made dinner, lets start on the Salsa :P Just Kidding. But it should smell good at this point already.

The next step is to crush up a few cloves of Garlic, and sautee with a small amount of oil and the excess juices from your tomatoes/peppers until fragrant, then turn the heat off. This helps to "extract" the garlic flavor. Please note that it is extremely important that you crush up your garlic to get all of the garlic-y goodness out of them.

Now it's time to blend up all of your stuff. Add tomatoes and onions first and blend well. Save some tomatoes and peppers to blend less to create textural variation. Some of the peppers can be pureed with the onions as well. I blend some up very well, and some less so. I used my little Ninja because it's more than adequate for the job. Pour your blended deliciousness in to the pot.

So, now that you have been wondering the entire time where the heat comes from, lets make it spicy. I'm using smoked chocolate ghosts. Smoked peppers add another level of depth beyond the grilling process. Grilling food and smoking it create different flavors, and combining them is like magic for your mouth. Anyways, here is my chopped up smoked chocolate ghost.

Next, I add some fresh hot peppers. I used my Super Thais and Dragon Cayennes. The pepper you use for this can totally change the flavor. Choose wisely. 

It should look something like this at this point. You can add your vinegar to balance the acidity your tomatoes at this point. I always use Rice Vinegar, as it has a softer flavor than white vinegar. At this point you need to make a decision. Some people like a more liquid salsa, some like a thicker, heavy salsa. But the point is, if you're going to make a more liquid one, you will need extra water. The heat should be as low as possible while still getting a slow boil. I reduced mine for around an hour, but this time varies with the type of tomato you used. I highly suggest letting it simmer for around an hour to get a good depth of flavor.

After you get it to the desired consistency, Add salt and black pepper to taste. Let cool, and add lime juice. I used 3 or 4 limes for this batch.

Mix well. Freeze some, put some in containers to eat ASAP. Be sure to refrigerate. It should be difficult to stop eating, if it isn't - you did something wrong. The result should be an amazing depth of flavor beyond most Salsas you have eaten, a very rich, smoky, grilled flavor ensues and lingers.

I don't have a recipe for this, but I make it so frequently that I generally don't need one. I do everything by taste, making sure all of the flavors are balanced in the correct proportions. Please note that there is no sugar added. Between the mini bells, onions, and tomatoes, a natural sweetness should be present, but not overbearing.

Separation is natural, simply reincorporate liquids and oils before serving. Best served 24 hours after it has cooled. Serve warm.

The result should be an incredibly rich Salsa that is fitting for a variety of uses. It's especially good when cooking with ground beef, as it adds that smokey grilled flavor when browning the beef. It's great on chicken as well - as a part of a marinade or served on top as a garnish.

Big update today. I did quite a bit of work over the weekend.

First up we have a decent little harvest of peppers. Yellow and Orange mini bells, Tequila Sunrise, Hatch Chiles, Super Thai's and Dragon Cayennes. The Tequila Sunrise and Hatch Chiles turned out perfectly. Nice firm, crunchy flesh, plenty of juices, and a solid seed core.

On to the weather. My gut tells me that we have about 2 weeks before we will get our first frost. We had a bit of a cold front come in, and it really cooled down, although temps are back up today. I decided that I needed to prep my greenhouse, which involves testing the lighting, heaters, etc. But, i remembered that last year it was a muddy mess. Grass and weeds pop up everywhere during the winter since the soil is warm enough with the greenhouse. Thats why I decided to put down some landscaping fabric and then mulch over the top to create a nice floor that won't get muddy and make me fall.

Finished mulching. Really made it look nice. Cleaned up and organized a bit, plus moved some plants in. Mostly peppers and my super tender tropicals.

Here are my tomatoes and basil that are taking over. All that is pictured grows out of 6 square feet of hydroponic bed that is 8" deep. I've never grown so much out of 6 square feet, several types of basil, 4 tomato plants, and green onions. This is the back side from what I have shown you before. It's really, really loaded down with tomatoes and I hope they finish up before the freeze, otherwise it will be time to make a ton of green tomato chutney.

On to the good stuff...

From bottom to top, Red 7 pod, Yellow 7 Pod, Reaper

And finally, since there were too many pics this section had to be split off.

Left: Pequin "C"    Right: Rojo Morado

Left: Tobasco      Right: Piquin "B"

Left: Orange Habs       Right: Chile de Arbol

Giant Cayenne

Left: Arroz Con Pollo    Right: Bhut Jolokia

Left: Pepperocini     Right: Manzano Habaneros

Lemon Drop

My gut feeling was almost spot on. We are supposed to get a freeze mid-week.

After a mass migration with all of my greenery moving the greenhouse, I potted up my remaining soil peppers in to 4" pots.

I'm getting some nice vertical growth on my first 2 trays. I'm running my lights from the time I get home until 9PM.

Here is a group shot in my greenhouse. Each row is a different type. Picking up speed. In another month or so my first flowers should be popping out. :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

I couldn't resist but add a few more types to my grow list. I kept saying I wouldn't, but you guys know how it goes...

From Refining Fire Chiles:
Bahamian Goat
Aji Pinapple
Fatalii
Golden Marconi (Replant)
Malaysian Goronong
Mulato Isleno (Poblano Type)
Peter Pepper (Red) 
Shishito
Yucatan White Hab

Others:
Unknown pepper taken from Cuba a year ago. Will be referred to as "Mitchell's Cuban Pepper" or MCP for short.
Manzano (For Real)
Hungarian Hot Wax (Replant)
Giant Cayenne (Replant)

and maybe a few others...

My total plant count is at 109. My goal is 150.

Back