• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Slade122's 2014 Greenhouse GLOG

I update the following spreadsheet pretty much daily with information about the plants, etc. This also allows me to keep track of when to expect/allow flowering to occur. This is the first generation of my spreadsheet designed by myself.
Download My Veggie Tracking Spreadsheet

Sprouting Setup Overview. I’m using a 2ft 2bulb T5HO shop light with a pair of 14 watt Warm White bulbs. I’m considering picking up another one of those lights to match so that I have a total of 56 watts to make strong seedlings with heavy-duty stems.

From left to right: Ring of Fire Cayenne, Hungarian Hotwax, Scotch Bonnet, Super Sweet 100 Tomato, Super Sioux Tomato, Yellow Pear Tomato, Calico Pepper, Fish Pepper, Bell Mix
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Peppers I plan to sprout ASAP: Carolina Reaper, Atomic Starfish, Fatalii, Datil, Giant Jalapeno.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Peppers I already have: Early Jalapeno, Thai Super Chili, Hatch Chile. I also have Bells, but they will most likely be culled.[/SIZE]

Let the Growing Begin!

I have some depressing news. Just when I thought I had everything going perfectly....

I discovered Bacterial Leaf Spot on a few of my peppers, namely adults including a Hatch Chile, 2 Super Thais, and  a Dragon Cayenne. The Dragon Cayenne has the worst of it. But all the plants that have it will need to be disposed of, as the risk of contamination in the greenhouse is high. The weird thing is that I've been doing copper and neem treatments before moving everything in to the greenhouse (to minimize risk of disease and pests). Although, upon doing some reasearch it appears that there is no shortage of copper-resistant BLS types. It kind of seems like AIDS, but for peppers - No cure, no effective treatment, and no hope for return to normalcy. I just hope that it doesn't spread to my 2015 crop.

Today around 5:30PM I will be holding a ceremony and cremation of the plants. You are all invited to attend in your hearts and minds.

Anyways, It's time to change directions and be positive moving forward. I'm not going to lie, I've been holding out on you guys. I've been lazy and shooting pics with my Phone, but last night I busted out my Sony Alpha 35 and Macro lens.

So, lets look at some pictures of flowers to lighten the mood. Caution, these are BIG (4912 x 3264). I web-optimized them down to 500kb, though.

First up, Rocket Chile Flower. These flowers are HUGE compared to my other plants.

This is to help illustrate how prolific the plant is, and how large the flowers are. My chicken did a great job topping this plant.

Some purple prince flower shots. You can see the pollen - glows like mad, almost radioactive looking.

My seeds from refining fire came yesterday. I'll likely be planting those, as well as a few others aforementioned.

I also finally got a digital temperature and humidity gauge. It stores the min/max of both, and I'll be including that in my grow information all of the time now. I watered quite a number of my other plants yesterday, which caused a decent spike in relative humidity.

When I walked in, it was 50F, and 32% rH. After watering and turning the lights on, and about an hour and a half of time, the temp rose to 58F and 65% rH. I slow the fan when I'm in there as well, which probably reduces heat transfer on the walls and ceiling.

Anyways, on to some pics of my 2015 plants. I've got to mess with my camera settings a bit. I have two HPS lights, one uses a near white bulb, the other a more blue. Both are MH conversion bulbs, but you can see the color difference in the pics.

Left to right: 3x Early Jal, 3x Cherry, 3x Fish

too many pics again. Doing this many varieties is quite a bit of work, but I love it.

Left to right: 3x Scotch Bonnet, 3x Long Thai, 4x Maules Red Hot

Left to right: 3x Criolla de Cocina, 4x Datil, 4x Trinidad Scorpion

Left to Right: 4x Craig's Grande Jal, 4x Red mini-bell, 4x Yellow mini-bell, 4x Moshi (cut off, sorry guys!)

Left to Right:  3x Lemon Drop, 3x Italian Pepperoncini, 3x Manzano Habanero

ribbedturtleneck said:
Thanks for the bump Ribbedturtleneck. Kept wanting to merge posts, but too many pics.

Left to Right: 3x Arroz con Pollo, 3x Bhut Jolokia, 4x Orange Habanero

Left to Right: 4x Chile de Arbol, 3x Tobasco, 4x Piquin "B" 

Left to Right: 4x Piquin "C", 4x Rojo Morado, far right back 1x Giant Cayenne, far right front 1x Golden Marconi

Left to Right Giant cayenne and Golden Marconi again, 2x India Jwala, 1x Tepin

Stay tuned! there will be more!

Consider yourself bumped, good sir ;)

Yeah, well better late than never. And those seedlings are looking awesome. I'm starting a new batch of seeds soon to fill out what I have in my backyard, since the prior set of seedlings didn't take for whatever reason...

sicman said:
bump

lol, i think we were both to late.

Everything is looking great.

SadisticPeppers said:
Yeah, well better late than never. And those seedlings are looking awesome. I'm starting a new batch of seeds soon to fill out what I have in my backyard, since the prior set of seedlings didn't take for whatever reason...

Thank you both for the effort! Much appreciated. I won't let your effort go to waste, and I'll post up some more pictures. Why the heck not, right?

I wanted to include some weather info for record purposes. We had 25F temps last night. My thai long beans and eggplants have officially died.

The rest of my garden is covered in plastic and should stay warm enough through this cold spike. I'm using a big fish tank heater to warm my hydroponic tomato and basil system, and it has been successful thus far with the aid of a plastic cover of course. I'll dig in there to get some basil for my pizza tonight!

Interestingly enough my Papaya made it through no problem. Pretty surprised about that. It grew massive roots through the bottom of its pot in a location right next to the house, so maybe it will be fine as long as we don't get a super rough freeze.

Greenhouse temps and humidity after watering.

5-day forecast isn't looking that great, not too horrible either though.

Good stuff going on here!

You have quite the jump on next season. I'm holding off on planting seeds until after Christmas break; a bit late for this next season but I have to travel....

Keep it green!

Devv said:
Good stuff going on here!

You have quite the jump on next season. I'm holding off on planting seeds until after Christmas break; a bit late for this next season but I have to travel....

Keep it green!

Thanks! My goal is to have production (at least flowers) starting in December/January for the 60-80 day varieties. And then it will likely be late in January or February before I get some of the 90-120 day varieties to flower.

These guys will all be grown in pots for the duration of their lives. Just for reference, Our average last frost date in Dallas is March 17th. The city itself provides some extra heat compared to outside of the city. 

Anyways. On to what I did this weekend!

My final 2 trays are planted. Went back to the 2" pots, after a good sanitization. ProMix BX as my media once again. Put them in the Germination tower - and off we go!

I planted these on 11/16/14. The latest of these will start flowering at the end of March or early April, the earliest should flower mid February.

8x Mulato Isleno, 4x Yucatan White Hab, 4x Aji Pineapple, 4x Fatalii, 8x Shishito, 4x Bahamian Goat, 8x "Mitchell's Cuban Pepper" (Unknown Var.), 4x Manzano (Yes, for real), 8x Red Peter Pepper, 8x Golden Marconi, 4x Malaysian Goronong.

Some of these are going to be giveaways, mostly for fellow growers. My girlfriend is addicted to the Shishito peppers, so we need lots of them -- I like to make a thick ribeye (highly marbled - of course), some mashed red potatoes, and grilled shishitos and mushrooms to smother the steak with. Shishitos are always fun because of the random hot ones, flavor is great with grilled food. This second set is at the time that I would normally germ up peppers, but I wanted to see what a head start would do for me - considering the wicked heat we have in mid-summer.

To be honest, this is probably the most seeds I have ever germinated at one time. Definitely my first truly dedicated pepper grow. I plan on leaving my raised beds for their normal crops, cucumbers, squash, eggplants, lettuce, beans etc.

On to my sauce experiment! I wanted to make a hot sauce that is geared for seafood.

Ingredient list: Yellow Tomatoes, Yellow Corno di Toro, Orange Habaneros, Yellow 7 Pods, Ghost peppers, Ginger, Galangal Root, Onion, Garlic, Lemons, White Vinegar.

This is a more substantial sauce, but still runs easily when poured. Up front, you taste the acidic lemony citrus, and tang from the ginger and galangal, which is followed up by the sweetness of the Corno di Toros, with the complexity of the mix of hot peppers, followed by a relatively sharp burn that builds and builds for about 45 seconds. The burn lasted about 15 minutes for me from a single spoonful. 

Overall, I really liked it - turned out to be pretty good for a first attempt at a yellow sauce. The strongest hot pepper flavor is from the 7 pods. When you open the bottle it smells heavily piquant. Probably Nuclear class for most people, but I would rate it a 8/10 for heat. But... my scale goes 1-10, and then X, XX, and XXX.

I got some of my first Hot Banana's this weekend too. Slightly more piquant than your average Jalapeno. Not too much depth of flavor, probably best pickled. Nice and Crunchy though.

Greenhouse temps are staying Mid 40's to low 50's at night, and up to 75 on a day with good sun. We had our first real frost today. I'm kind of surprised at how lengthy this cold spell is for November.

Forecast is finally looking up.

and Finally, I read the book "Chile Peppers" edited by Beth Hanson. Published in 1999. It seems like a good beginner/intermediate pepper gardener read. tells the history of peppers, followed by the chemical makeup and how peppers produce the spicy sensation. Followed by how to grown them, with separate sections for indoor and outdoor growing with information on lighting, temperatures, humidity, etc - as well as realistic expectations. Then there is a nice section about general disorders, pests, and diseases that frequently plague peppers. I found this chapter to be particularly useful. Then there is a chapter on preserving chiles, full of recipes and how-to's. Finally, there is one of the preliminary versions of the Encyclopedia of Chiles, which discusses many of the common garden varieties that most beginners are interested in growing, as well as the conditions that they prefer. An important part of this chapter is that they explain which varieties will perform better in either northern or southern climates. At the end there are some seed source references, some resources, information on contributors, and USDA Hardiness zone map.

Overall, I'd say most people that are new to growing peppers should give this a read. There is not really any information on Superhots or the like, but does provide a good base point for the beginner pepper gardener and covers most of the points needed to successfully grow peppers.

Just a small update today.

I'm hitting the mark as far as nutrients are concerned on my Tequila Sunrise. Getting some nice cracking on a few of the pods. The weight of the pod itself is also substantially greater than the ones I pulled off the plant earlier.

Also from my Tequila Sunrise. Not sure if it is a cross, or just a mal-formed pod. If it is a cross, it would be ( Tequila Sunrise x Thai Super ) or ( Tequila Sunrise x Dragon Cayenne) but, characteristically it looks a bit more like the the Thai Super.

Tequila Sunrise x Thai Super might be an interesting cross to grow out. I do like the shape.

I'll have another mini-update soon, as I have one variety in particular exhibiting a different growth habit than the rest of them.

We had a relatively beautiful weekend and a relatively decent bout of rain, which my yard greatly appreciated.

One of the mini-bell varieties, as well as the italian pepperoncini are starting to make their first flowers. For the pepperoncini, this is day 57 from sprout - so they appear to be right on track. The mini bells on the other hand, appear to be a really early - at around 43 days. I didn't expect that at all from these guys, and this will be the earliest pepper I have ever grown. In fact, I don't think I've ever even heard of a pepper that matures in less than 60 days. Although, I suppose that if conditions are favorable, the plant may make an attempt early. I really doubt that either of the plants are large enough to hold their developed fruits. I'm right on target for when I wanted production to begin.

I plan to allow the fruits to develop to about half of full size before picking them early to encourage more growth, and a desire to set out some full ripened fruit to help bolster production later on in their life span.

It appears that my Banana Peppers may be showing signs of BLS - this is highly depressing as I was quite looking forward to pickling them. But, I will likely end up disposing of those as well. :mope: It's okay though, these are pretty easy to find at local garden stores when the time comes if I feel like I don't have enough peppers - which I highly doubt I will come to find.

The shishito's are the first variety to sprout of my last 2 trays for germination. 3 or 4 of them had hooks when I left this morning. In another week or so all of them should be up.

I will likely put up some pictures of them all tomorrow.

The pics speak for themselves this week. I won't be making a long-winded post like usual. I didn't use any fertilizer this week, still responding well from last weeks dose.

Left to right: Early Jalapeno, Cherry, Fish

Left to right: Fish, Scotch Bonnet, Long Thai, Maule's Red Hot

Left to right: Criolla de Cocina, Datil, Trinidad Scorpion

Left to right: Craig's Giant Jalapeno, Red Mini Bell, Yellow Mini Bell

Left to right: Moshi, Lemon Drop, Italian Pepperoncini

Left to right: Manzano Habanero, Arroz con Pollo, Bhut Jolokia

Left to right: Orange Habanero, Chile de Arbol, Tabasco

Left to Right: Piquin "B," Piquin "C," Rojo Morado

Left to right: Giant Cayenne, Golden Marconi, India Jwala, Tepin.

Glog, bump thyself

SadisticPeppers said:
Glog, bump thyself
juanitos said:
hmmmmmmmmm
aw elcap beat me

Thanks for the bump guys!

Bahamian Goat, Aji Pinapple, Fatalii, Golden Marconi (Replant), Malaysian Goronong, Mulato Isleno, Peter Pepper (Red), Shishito, Yucatan White Hab, Orange Manzano, MCP. A few of these are starting to sprout, another week or so an most will be up and going strong. Misting as usual, no ferts applied to these yet, but they have been inoculated with Microbe Brew from Foxfarm. I really like the microbe brew, and use it every time I upsize pots as well.

Yellow and Red 7 pods, Reapers. These guys dried out a bit much, and then burned due to the salts. They will come along fine though. Pretty slow growing, like my bhuts and trinidad scorpions.

Bahamian Goat, Aji Pinapple, Fatalii, Golden Marconi (Replant), Malaysian Goronong, Mulato Isleno, Peter Pepper (Red), Shishito, Yucatan White Hab, Orange Manzano, MCP. The Fatalii and Goronongs are at 0% Germination after about 2 weeks. Peter pepper germination percent was incredibly low as well. At this point, my germination is much less successful with seeds from Refining Fire than Baker Creek. I am happy that I got all of the Yucatan White Habs though. I will leave the trays on the mat for a month before I give up on them.  It seems that some of them from this batch are just a little slower.

Red and Yellow 7 Pods, and Reapers. These guys require quite a bit of patience.

On to my Adolescents, several varieties are starting the flowering process. I'm really needing to get some of them in bigger pots, as they appear root bound. They should come in the mail this week. I tested it out, and many of the plants root ball pulls out cleanly as easily from the pot, so I am definitely ready to get them some bigger shoes. The next step is 2 gallon.

Left to Right: Early Jal, Cherry, Fish, Scotch Bonnet.

Left to Right: Long Thai, Maules Red Hot, Criolla de Cocina, Datil.

Left to Right: Trinidad Scorpion, Craig's Grande Jalapeno, Red mini-bell, Yellow Mini Bell

Left to Right: Moshi, Lemon Drop, Pepperoncini, Manzano Habanero

Left to Right: Arroz Con Pollo, Bhut Jolokia, Orange Habanero, Chile de Arbol

Left to Right: Tobasco, Piquin B, Piquin C, Rojo Morado

Left to right: Giant Cayenne, Golden Marconi, India Jwala, Tepin.

Quick update. Short on time recently due to projects at work, time of the year, etc.

2 gallon grow bag pot-ups.

And I got some ladybugs to battle the bad guys.

I'll post an updated pic of my last batch of seedlings. They are already quite big. Lost a few of them while I was out of town, but nothing devastating.

We've had some cold weather, growth slowed a bit. I do have a good amount of flowers and peppers forming now though.

Thanks for checking in.

Out of likes, but everything is looking just super, buddy!

Back