• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Slade122's 2014 Greenhouse GLOG

I update the following spreadsheet pretty much daily with information about the plants, etc. This also allows me to keep track of when to expect/allow flowering to occur. This is the first generation of my spreadsheet designed by myself.
Download My Veggie Tracking Spreadsheet

Sprouting Setup Overview. I’m using a 2ft 2bulb T5HO shop light with a pair of 14 watt Warm White bulbs. I’m considering picking up another one of those lights to match so that I have a total of 56 watts to make strong seedlings with heavy-duty stems.

From left to right: Ring of Fire Cayenne, Hungarian Hotwax, Scotch Bonnet, Super Sweet 100 Tomato, Super Sioux Tomato, Yellow Pear Tomato, Calico Pepper, Fish Pepper, Bell Mix
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Peppers I plan to sprout ASAP: Carolina Reaper, Atomic Starfish, Fatalii, Datil, Giant Jalapeno.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Peppers I already have: Early Jalapeno, Thai Super Chili, Hatch Chile. I also have Bells, but they will most likely be culled.[/SIZE]

Let the Growing Begin!

Thanks Paul, between battling bugs, getting engaged, and everything that ensues - I've been a busy guy.

Here are the pics of some of the rest of them. I've got about 20 more than are not pictured. The 7 pods (red and yellow) and reapers.

potting the last of my babies up in 4" pots now.

I've got plenty of peppers forming, most still relatively small. Below is one of my Maule's Red Hots.

and my first head of broccoli is forming. 'Romanesco' Variety.

I'm planning to pick all of my first round of peppers green, and underdeveloped so I can get more foliage and girth on the stems!

These guys are grown in a mostly coco/perlite mix with nutritional amendments. Heavy amounts of bone meal to overcome the calcium problem that coco has. Overall, coco has been working out fairly well.

The mites are just killing me though. I've used lady bugs and green lacewings and organic controls, but I've resorted to neem, limonene, and copper to combat them as of late.

After a quick trip to the Vancouver area for some hiking, I came home to the disturbing loss of my 7pods, reapears, and a tray of my smallest peppers to to lack of water and a few hot days in the greenhouse without my attention. Sad, yes, devastating, not totally.

I'm probably below what I was shooting for as far as the total number of plants, and may have to order some replacement plants from the good people here on THP.

With that being said, there are still an epic amount of peppers. They have been growing pretty well, most of them are watered once every 2 weeks or so. Pods are developing on a good number of the plants, some are just beginning to flower, and there are some that seem to be refusing, and just keep growing straight upward.

I'm pretty excited to start trying a number of these, because most varieties are not available in the markets around the Dallas area. So far I've tried a maule's red hot that was green and immature, as well as a few of the mini bells. Judging by the taste and the pod characterists of the maule's, I much prefer it over a standard cayenne. The pod thickness of the maule's was much higher than that of a cayenne as well. It didn't have a ton of heat to it though, because it was picked so early. I have several more developing on each plant, so I'll be a bit more patient with them. The mini bells came out pretty small for the first set, but the texture and flavor were great.

On to the more recent weather. It has been rainy and cold for a few days. The heaters have been working non-stop recently in order to keep the greenhouse comfortable for the tropicals and peppers. I'm getting about done with the ice, snow, and overcast/rainy days. I've been using the lights to supplement a little extra power on those dark days we've been having.

The bugs are finally at bay. I've noticed that a number of the lady bugs and lacewings seemed to stay and finish up with job with a little help from some Neem oil and D-Limonene. I've also noticed some lady bug larvae, which I've never seen before. The bugs did a fair amount of damage to my 3 adult peppers before I could remedy the situation, but it looks like they will make a full recovery.

I had a nutrient problems as well for a bit, but that has been resolved now as well. I had some really explosive growth after a tiny dosage of fertilizer.

Anyways, here are some pod development pics for your enjoyment.

and some shots of the group.

I moved everybody outside the other day to get some fresh air. Took a couple of hours.

We are getting some rain today, so I hope the coco doesn't get washed out.

Sorry for the dark pic, but this shows the number of plants much better. In the pic there are 96, plus 25 smaller plants in the greenhouse.

You would not happen to be the Slade that did the vid reveiw for Hawaii Beach back in 2012
The reason I M asking is I've got it ordered form junglerain and wanted your long term take on it if its you
If not sorry for bothering you

Nope, that's not me. Slade is actually a fairly common alias on the net.

I'm just a simple systems admin that enjoys gardening to get away from the desk and electronics. It's good for the soul.

Thanks for checking in on my glog.

wow, thats a bunch of plants...

Are you gonna grow solely in containers?

Yes, this is a mass container grow. Likely with 5 or 7 gallon grow bags for cost effectiveness. They are in two gallon bags now.

I plan to drip fertigate, because when it gets really hot out, I'll have a tough time keeping up with watering and fertilizing.

sure looks like a lot more plants after I moved them out. They were packed really tight in the greenhouse.

Bhut flowers in march! Going to be a good one I think.

Thanks for checking out the glog and the kind words, moruga. Best of luck to you as well.

Looking good neighbor, hope you didn't float away in all the rain we've been getting. Looks like a swamp around here, keep on takin care of those ladies.

East Texas Heat said:
Looking good neighbor, hope you didn't float away in all the rain we've been getting. Looks like a swamp around here, keep on takin care of those ladies.

Thanks!

We have gotten a ton of rain recently. I have not floated away as of yet, but this week is looking to be heavy on the rain again. I moved all of my lovely ladies back inside the greenhouse because we are supposed to get quite a bit of rain over the next 2 weeks, including a larger thunderstorm later this week.

We had a really nice sunny, high 70's day yesterday, and the plants really responded well after so many overcast days. After moving everyone out for 5 or 6 days, I really noticed the difference in the height of the plants when I moved them back in. It's about time to fertilize again, and I'm going to hit them pretty hard this time, I'll likely run the lights in the greenhouse if it gets really dark due to cloud density.

I am happy we are getting rain though, the lakes around DFW really need some water, they are down several feet. We didn't get much for rain last year, but this year it seems to be a bit more plentiful.

Even though our average last frost date has recently passed, we usually get a light freeze around easter so I'm trying to be patient over the next 3 weeks or so.

I'm in the same boat here, I normally would start getting my plants in their semi permanent home around this week not really a well established routine though this is only my second year growing from seeds and my first one with any measure of success ( so far anyway) everything's looking good sir.

Did a bit of fertilization yesterday.

My ratios per 5 gallon bucket:

50ml FF Tiger Bloom
50ml FF Grow Big
100ml FF Big Bloom
A small dollop of SM6 Seaweed Extract (Thanks to Vertically Challenged)
A few drops of rooting enhancer
50ml FF Microbe Brew

I went through 23 gallons of the stuff by the time I was done. I'm hoping I'll see some great results.

The plants are large enough now that I can fertilize with every watering.  :dance:  Pics coming!  :onfire:

slade122 said:

Thanks!

We have gotten a ton of rain recently. I have not floated away as of yet, but this week is looking to be heavy on the rain again. I moved all of my lovely ladies back inside the greenhouse because we are supposed to get quite a bit of rain over the next 2 weeks, including a larger thunderstorm later this week.

We had a really nice sunny, high 70's day yesterday, and the plants really responded well after so many overcast days. After moving everyone out for 5 or 6 days, I really noticed the difference in the height of the plants when I moved them back in. It's about time to fertilize again, and I'm going to hit them pretty hard this time, I'll likely run the lights in the greenhouse if it gets really dark due to cloud density.

I am happy we are getting rain though, the lakes around DFW really need some water, they are down several feet. We didn't get much for rain last year, but this year it seems to be a bit more plentiful.

Even though our average last frost date has recently passed, we usually get a light freeze around easter so I'm trying to be patient over the next 3 weeks or so.
gotta have that water !   
slade122 said:
I moved everybody outside the other day to get some fresh air. Took a couple of hours.

We are getting some rain today, so I hope the coco doesn't get washed out.

Sorry for the dark pic, but this shows the number of plants much better. In the pic there are 96, plus 25 smaller plants in the greenhouse.

looking good !

After having quite a number of beers, I decided that I had worked up an apetite after all of that drinking.

Decided to make a habanero-based buffalo sauce. Fried up some naked chicken drumsticks, then tossed them in the sauce at a low simmer with some Georgia Vidalia's.

Plenty of Protein for a 10:00pm snack.

Then, more beer!

Sunrise at my place. Made the rows longer when I moved them out this time, but with wider spacing between rows so I can actually walk through them without destroying stuff. We should be in the clear now as far as heavy storms go, but in Texas you never really know what the weather is going to do until the day or night before. The plants are picking up the pace now that the weather is hitting the mid 70's. It's about time to hit some of the plants with more fertilizer again, noticed a nice size gain in the peppers and plants over the last week. The foliage is filling out as well. Overall, everyone seems pretty happy.

Order came in from Juanito's Peppers. 2x White Bhut, 2x Choco Bhut, 2x Red Scorp, and 1x White Bullet Hab. The white hab is already producing, the others have quite a journey to go.

Some Random Stragglers. Texas Chitlepin off to the left is so dang slow. Even slower than the bhuts/scorpions/habs.

Tomato, Basil and Tomatillo Sprouts getting bigger! 3 Types of Basil, 6 Types of Tomatoes, and 1 type of tomatillo. I didn't bother with labeling them. I wanted a surprise! Although, the basil isn't much of a surpise as they are significantly different from one another almost immediately after sprouting.

Doubled the size of my Auto-siphoning hydro system from some of my pics last year. Started by building a much stronger wood frame that can hold both trays. Added new plumbing in for the right side. I just need a little more expanded clay pepples to finish it up. I plan on getting a much larger reservoir for it, 20 gallons is barely enough to keep both sides siphoning, reservoir runs low if both happen to fill and reach of the point of draining simultaneously. I was using the pump at around half flow, so I just opened it up when I Tee'd off the inlet hose. A larger reservoir will help keep the water temp more stable as well. You can also see one of Vertically Challenged's hydro units in the back. I'm still working on a plan for that system to make it more suitable for outdoor use.

I also found out that the "Lemon Drop" pepper from Baker Creek (rareseeds.com) is definitely a C. Baccatum now that I have good numbers of flowers forming. Formerly on their website it was listed as a C. Chinese, but it appears they have fixed it now, as well as done a rewrite on the description that includes that is also known as "Aji Limon."

Well, that's pretty much it for the weekend.

Whoa, what happened off to the left?

Mass murder while attempting to harden them off. I accidentally left them out in the shade, and that night it got a bit too chilly. It was included in an earlier post, but no images.

It's okay though - I still have plenty of plants. There are another 20 or so that I have not been picturing often. Last count was 129 plants including the new ones from Juanitos! Not sure where they are going to fit quite yet.

Runescape said:
Lol, well it happens...Nice to see youve got plenty to spare...

I always try to plant around 1/3 more than I think I'll need when planting seeds. Sometimes disaster strikes, and it's better to have the extras already, rather than trying to start over. Unfortunately, time doesn't go backwards, so you have to over compensate long before you know you'll need to.

Yesterday I fertilized with a 50/50 mix of Foxfarm's Grow Big and Tiger Bloom @ 750ppm and 5.7pH.

Anyways, on to some pod pics.

This is the only plant I have that looks like this. Not sure what it is, but it's not what it's labeled.

Jalapeno, Craig's Grande - Nice larger jalapeno, prone to purple blushing. I have a smaller one that is totally purple forming as well.

Mini-Bell loaded down. Seems very prolific for a sweet annuum. 

No idea on this one either. I'll see how it ripens.

Dependable Early Jalapenos. Same seed source as from the 2014 section of this GLOG.

Maule's Red Hot. Walls are getting thicker. All of the plants seem highly productive for Annuums.

Back