• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Slade122's 2014 Greenhouse GLOG

I update the following spreadsheet pretty much daily with information about the plants, etc. This also allows me to keep track of when to expect/allow flowering to occur. This is the first generation of my spreadsheet designed by myself.
Download My Veggie Tracking Spreadsheet

Sprouting Setup Overview. I’m using a 2ft 2bulb T5HO shop light with a pair of 14 watt Warm White bulbs. I’m considering picking up another one of those lights to match so that I have a total of 56 watts to make strong seedlings with heavy-duty stems.

From left to right: Ring of Fire Cayenne, Hungarian Hotwax, Scotch Bonnet, Super Sweet 100 Tomato, Super Sioux Tomato, Yellow Pear Tomato, Calico Pepper, Fish Pepper, Bell Mix
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Peppers I plan to sprout ASAP: Carolina Reaper, Atomic Starfish, Fatalii, Datil, Giant Jalapeno.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Peppers I already have: Early Jalapeno, Thai Super Chili, Hatch Chile. I also have Bells, but they will most likely be culled.[/SIZE]

Let the Growing Begin!

Nice flood tables for your hydro system. I'm strongly thinking about pulling my flood table outside too. My only concern would be all the rain we can get in Ohio. Might dilute the nute water. I won't know unless I try though. When are you planting in the hydro system?

Thanks! I like the Botanicare trays, especially the long thin ones designed for slabs/blocks. They are by far the best design and can easily be set up for row crops, and they are inexpensive relative to most other trays.

I've already planted some cukes, zuchini, and yellow squash in some of the "loose" rockwool media as a test of the product. It's basically a ton of tiny peices of rockwool. Ultimately the 7 pods will likely end up in these systems after my squash finish up.

I run all of my hydro systems outdoors, and I don't really have many issues with rain, evaporation is more of a problem for me in texas. I top off the tanks daily in mid summer. I usually don't have to adjust PH much either due to my low starting water PH and the PH of my nutrients.

Thanks for checking out my glog.

I did some work over the weekend, and potted up the last of my plants in my coco/perlite mix. I added an entire row and column, as well as placing a few towards the house.

I also gave away one of my cherry peppers, loaded down with pods.

My hydroponic plant is getting bigger. It could be a pepper or a nightshade I brought back from Taiwan, not sure which it is yet. I know I did put some pepper seeds in there though, but some fruit could have dropped from the mystery nightshade family plant as well.

I picked my first decent haul, and I'm going to tally up the total weight and number of pods each time. Below are some Early Jalapenos, Red and Yellow Mini Bells, Italian Pepperoncinis, A curled up maules, a chile de arbol, and some cherry peppers.

47 peppers weighed in at 7 ounces, 1 oz short of half a pound.

Have a good week.

looking good, you hand watering everything?

Yes, hand watered ATM. ultimately they will be drip fertigated when I reach the point that I can justify the expense.

We've been unusual amounts of rain and flash flooding the past couple of weeks. It's getting so bad that I've got calcium and magnesium deficiencies in a portion of the plants. A few are even starting to yellow out. Unfortunately this upcoming week doesn't look much better. I'll probably move all of the plants back in the greenhouse due to all of the rain.

I love rain, especially here in texas, but it's getting ridiculous. One plant may even have BLS from all of the moisture.

Getting the copper spray out now...

looking good! nice pods and beautiful plants in those grow bags... you've stacked them so nicely, like you're playing chess with them

Trident chilli said:
Great update your grow is really coming along nicely

tsurrie said:
looking good! nice pods and beautiful plants in those grow bags... you've stacked them so nicely, like you're playing chess with them

Thanks Guys, I try to stay organized so I can find the pods I'm looking for and so that the plants have the highest chance to cross polinate with one of their own. However, with this proximity I believe that cross pollination between varieties is inevitable at some point.

The number of pods is far more evident with all the plants packed in the greenhouse tightly. I moved the youngest plants, along with the shorter chinese types on the shelf, and the taller plants on the ground. The shortest plants are directly in the center of the lights, with the taller plants getting further away from the lights.

I'm hoping the water will evaporate quicker with an 800cfm fan blowing on all of the plants and the door and windows in the greenhouse wide open, plus the lights to generate some heat to get the plants to expel some water.

I'll likely be spraying copper everywhere to prevent disease outbreak.

alright! I finished migrating some websites!

flash flooding in my yard....

moved all of my plants to the greenhouse. you can see the yellowing on some of the plants.

pic from the other direction

fixed up my hydro system and got both auto-siphons working. planted a ton of tomatoes and basil.

peppers in the raised bed

grodan loose media test with zucchini and a cuban oregano clone, hydro plant in the background

my squash and tomatoes seem to love the rain.

Anyways, thats how the grow is doing. Still producing loads of pods even with deficiencies. hoping to get things back on track ASAP.

cal/mg deficiencies are showing, but very few cases of BER so far.

slade122 said:
Yes, hand watered ATM. ultimately they will be drip fertigated when I reach the point that I can justify the expense.

Define expense. I installed a drip irrigation system ( pics in my glog) a couple of years ago and the total investment wasn't that much at all and sure makes things simpler. I even piped in a auto fill for the hydro reservoir but that isn't currently in use.

Define expense. I installed a drip irrigation system ( pics in my glog) a couple of years ago and the total investment wasn't that much at all and sure makes things simpler. I even piped in a auto fill for the hydro reservoir but that isn't currently in use.

I know it's not too expensive, maybe a couple hundred for my setup. I planned to do it when the temperature starts picking up and they need to be watered at least once per day.

Automatic topping off of my hydro tanks would be great too.

Anyways, here are more pod pics..

Scotch bonnets

Tobasco

Datil

Orange Habs

Arroz con pollo. Fantastic Chinese flavor with none of the heat. Probably my favorite pepper after the lemon drops as far as flavor. Great for when you have guests and want that exotic flavor and not much heat. these will have a permanent place in my garden with the lemon drops.

We had another flash flood with 5 inches of rain. More scheduled for 4 out of 7 days this week. Plants are staying in the greenhouse until this stops. Yellowing seems to be dissipating a bit. Was finally able to fertilize today and get my deficiencies worked on.

Yet another harvest

63 peppers @ 10.5 ounces. Total is 164 peppers @ 1lb 11.5 oz. so far this year.

next up, some pod pics.

bhuts are starting to change color on a few pods

white naga setting pods

Results of my Grodan loose media test with a 'Dark Star' Zucchini.

Anyways, going back to eating my sardine pizza with Black Rose hot sauce from the pepper palace.

The flooding continues.

Plants are looking stronger this week after stagnating for a week or two. Yellowing is starting to fade back to green, plants are much more perky. Still getting decent production, although flowering is slowing. I'm still working on building the nutrients back up. Whiteflies have taken hold again, which is unusual for this time of year.

Another harvest of 66 pods. Got some nice ghosts and a good bunch of jals.

Weighed in at the heaviest yet, 1lb 3/8oz. Bringing the total to 2lbs + 14 and 7/8oz for 230 pods.

Huge white naga

Habs turning orange

pod size is increasing on most vars.

moshi pods.

Well, it appears the flood is over.

I moved all of my ladies back outside. They appeared to have grown quite a bit in the greenhouse.

Just picked 2lbs and 7/8 oz today. Still have to count all of these, my guess is over 130. EDIT: Ended up with 166 pods. Total is 4lbs 15 and 5/8 oz.

Wonderful pile of pods

Sorted by variety, thai and chile de arbol are lumped together though, difficult to tell apart.

largest pod thus far

Another storm.

Here is the damage

Also got my 150 five gallon pots in today. Going to try to do a complete upgrade on all of them over the weekend.

the pots are bigger than the bags? why not just bigger bags? like the rigidity of pots better?

Yes, the bags are 2 gallon, and I like rigid pots better, plus the 3 gallon size increase. Tired of the tops of the bags folding over.

Just made it back from orlando. Plants were a little wilted when I got back. Only slept for an hour last night. A nap I suppose.

Anyways, just picked my most epic haul yet of 4 lbs 15 oz.

so many pods! Pods upon pods!

I'll count and add up the totals when my brain is functioning.

Thanks for viewing all.

Alright, so adding up the totals, I've picked 726 pods for a total of 9lbs 14+5/8 oz.

I spent several hard hours over the weekend re-potting my plants up to 5 gallons.

Here is what my growing medium looks like after it's been mixed. I went through 8 bricks of coco, and 2 giant bags of perlite.

They look darn good in black! Pot size seems much more suitable for the size of the plants.

Here is my last haul all spread out and counted, to 330 pods (included in the total above.)

I processed a bunch of peppers over the weekend as well.

Planning to start hitting them hard with fertilizer again. Some varieties appear to be adding some new growth and prepping for re-flower.

Hopefully I'll be able to get another couple of bricks of coco to finish the job with the rest of the plants still in bags.

Back