• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Slade122's 2014 Greenhouse GLOG

I update the following spreadsheet pretty much daily with information about the plants, etc. This also allows me to keep track of when to expect/allow flowering to occur. This is the first generation of my spreadsheet designed by myself.
Download My Veggie Tracking Spreadsheet

Sprouting Setup Overview. I’m using a 2ft 2bulb T5HO shop light with a pair of 14 watt Warm White bulbs. I’m considering picking up another one of those lights to match so that I have a total of 56 watts to make strong seedlings with heavy-duty stems.

From left to right: Ring of Fire Cayenne, Hungarian Hotwax, Scotch Bonnet, Super Sweet 100 Tomato, Super Sioux Tomato, Yellow Pear Tomato, Calico Pepper, Fish Pepper, Bell Mix
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Peppers I plan to sprout ASAP: Carolina Reaper, Atomic Starfish, Fatalii, Datil, Giant Jalapeno.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Peppers I already have: Early Jalapeno, Thai Super Chili, Hatch Chile. I also have Bells, but they will most likely be culled.[/SIZE]

Let the Growing Begin!

beautiful little pic. http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy49/slade122/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03/20150313_180728_zps4p1mteuk.jpg if you crop out the finger in top left lol

if you're having trouble with the nutrients and want to try something new get some chem gro tomatoe + cano + mgso its cheap per gallon.

Thanks for stopping in Juanito!

My problems were due to incorrect PH and under-fertilization. Getting great results now that I've dialed them in and started giving them the juice they need to produce!

I will definately keep your recipe in mind though, as a full set of fox farm runs me about $180 and I burn through it like no one's buisiness.

Anyways, I wanted to do a spotlight on some of my fave plants from an asthetic point of view.

Fish pepper, weighing in at 26" tall. Branched out at about 23" Love the variegation, setting pods now.

Arroz con pollo. Hab type. 12" tall. Thick foliage, beautiful canopy development and ideal branching.

Moshi, 27" tall. No signs of branching or flowering. I have a feeling that when it does, it's going to explode after all of that pent up energy. Long leaf spacing and height reminds me of some pics of wild's I've seen.

I know you want to touch my bhut. 11" tall, nice, bushy branching and foliage. Flowing like mad.

D3monic said:
Very nice plants, not sure how I missed this for 6 pages. Things look great. Really jealous of you assholes that get to put plants outside already. Hate this state. 
Thanks, D3monic! Give me another month and they all should be massive!

I feel your pain! I was born and raised in Iowa for the first 18 years of my life. Then I went to South Dakota for University studies which is where I met my fiancee, then we moved to hawaii for a year, and finally Texas to finish up our degrees because that is where my fiancee is from. I definitely feel your pain though, you probably have at least another month to a month and a half before the weather will be okay for setting out all of your plants. 

I've only been seriously growing vegetables for about 5 years now, and I started with hydroponics, so that is why I'm doing this grow with coco coir because I feel I can do better with a hydro environment rather than a soil one. Texas can be a difficult state to grow in though, we have very few months that are suitable for high productivity because the winter is just a touch too cold, and June through August are like being in an oven. Peppers seem to handle the heat well, and that is part of the reason why I got in to growing them.

We can have a nice winter garden (Lettuce, broccoli, and other cool-season crops) here too if you cover it with a light sheet of plastic to hold the heat in and protect from the occasional frost.

Thanks for stopping in!

Life continues to be insane.

Early last week I was slammed in to by a truck while waiting at a stop light. The driver and his wife were in the vehicle, and had a 1 year old child crawling loose in the vehicle which supposedly caused the accident.

I spent an entire day in the hospital getting x-rays and such to make sure nothing was wrong, as well as being on 4 different pills for pain, inflammation, nausea, as well muscle relaxers to relieve some of the tension. I'm feeling much better now, but sleep and leaving my body at rest have been difficult due to projects at work needing to be completed. Because we had some beautiful days, I needed to water every day, and that was quite a task because I was slow, and bending over was fairly painful, even with the meds. Anyways, enough about me.

Growth and production have been absolutely stellar this week. Perfect temperatures and hitting my stride with fertilization seemed to attribute to this great growth. Over the course of a day, I could see the difference in the size of certain peppers that I have been keeping my eyes on.

Group shot from this morning. A little cloudy and cool yesterday and this morning.

Unknown pod from earlier. It's shaping up to look like a Shishito pepper. I ate a small one that was totally red, it had a thin skin, and extremely sweet flesh. The plant is pumping out a good quantity of these pods.

Criolla de cocina appear almost over night, and through the week grew to the the width of my hand. Amazingly fast growing pod. I've got several of these forming or established.

All of my chinese types are going nuts with flowers and pods forming. Below is the Arroz con Pollo setting some pods. The habs, scorpions, bhuts, are all doing the same thing, ridiculous amounts of of flowers. Setting up to 3 pods per node so far, none setting 4 at a node as of yet.

Nice, fat Maule's changing colors.

Damn, that's terrible about the traffic collision, glad you're back on the mend. Your plants are looking great, very jealous of those pods! Keep on resting up when you can and keep those ladies lookin fine.

Some more pod pics while drinking...

Lemon Drops. Nice flower in the background.

Chile de Arbol. Has a little bit different branching habit than most of my other plants.

Giant Cayenne's. Afraid these guys are going to break the branch.
[URL=http://s776.photobucket.com/user/slade122/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/20150406_174735_zpsi4kwryg1.jpg.html][/URL]

Oh, and my Moshi's are all Y'ing off now. Hooray!
[URL=http://s776.photobucket.com/user/slade122/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/20150403_075202_zps98ydzs1i.jpg.html][/URL]

EDIT: DPSE to add commentary/labels and correct a picture duplication.

Thunderstorms slated for today/tomorrow.

I identified some scale insects (soft brown type) on a number of the plants. So I'll be waging war on them over the next week or two. Certain plants seem to be affected worse than others.

The last of my Youngest plants. Chinese plants from Juanitos off to the right, including the white and choco bhuts, Morugas, and a white bullet hab. I'm thinking about starting some Red and Yellow 7 Pods to save for overwinters. They should be large by the time winter comes, and will easily produce a fair amount in the greenhouse. I know that when the time comes, it will be tough to decide which plants to keep, and which ones to toss. At least I won't have to worry about that for quite some time.

A picture of my indeterminate tomatoes for fall, as well as a few types of basil. I'll probably get a few determinate tomatoes from the local nursery this weekend for spring tomatoes. Maybe some eggplants if I see a variety that I'm interested in. I hate the Large Black or white types of eggplants, with the long purple chinese type being my favorite.

I still need to finish up that hydroponic system, but money has been tight lately. I'm also needing fertilizer and I've been trying to come up with a more cost-effective solution than Fox Farm, which I have been using for several years. I've still got enough to last a few weeks, so that should be plenty of time.

My neck and shoulders still get tight after a normal day at the office. I'm still having a light amount of pain associated with it. It hasn't helped that I've been moving servers and desktops around which tend to make it worse. Right now I'm trying to get the company migrated 10 years forward on hardware and software. When you make that big of a jump there is no direct path from where you are to where you're going.

Plus, Late last week I was served court papers for a fender bender I was in about 8 months ago, with the other person claiming bodily injury. It's obviously a money grubbing scam because the individual never went to a doctor, and only went to a chiropractor a few times several weeks after the incident. The person also never missed a day of work. Insurance is taking care of the entire suit (which I guess is why you have insurance, right?) and everything that goes along with it. I may have to provide information and what not periodically, but that should be all. After I was served the court paper, the individual quit showing up for work for several days. 

In addition to that, I've been trying to help my fiancee plan our wedding stuff and what not, which also keeps me quite busy. Gathering information, doing invitations, making reservations, and so on...

Stress and Anxiety are starting to eat away at me with all of this crap hitting the fan at the same time. Fortunately, gardening is one of the few things that helps ground me. I spend quite a bit of time examining my plants to help take my mind off of the crap going on in my life. I've just got to stay focused and take each day as it comes. Good people always seem to be the ones who run out of luck, and bad people always seem to have the best luck. Life will go on.

Thanks for Reading.

Hope all works out for you .... here in the UK we are constantly hassled by "cold calling" asking if you were involved in an accident ... where there is a blame there is a claim ... gardening is a great stress reliever and your garden is a picture .. great to see a green house as so many on this forum plant straight into dirt ... almost unheard of in the UK .. maybe a raised bed at the most ... all the very best in your grow

Hope all works out for you .... here in the UK we are constantly hassled by "cold calling" asking if you were involved in an accident ... where there is a blame there is a claim ... gardening is a great stress reliever and your garden is a picture .. great to see a green house as so many on this forum plant straight into dirt ... almost unheard of in the UK .. maybe a raised bed at the most ... all the very best in your grow

Thanks! Everything always seems to work itself out, so I just need to stay positive about it. It can be difficult to do so with pressure at work for 8+ hours a day.

I appreciate that you too face the challenge of small space gardening. I'm right in the center of Dallas itself, so having a huge plot isn't an option. I've always been faced with space constraints and started with hydroponic indoor growing. Eventually I decided that outdoor was more cost effective and better in the long run. Regardless, I'm still tied to cost effective organic container gardening for most of my plants.

This is my first run with coco, and so far I'm impressed with it in most respects especially with the familiarity of a hydroponic medium. I've never done quite this many plants, and it has been a really great run so far.

Thanks for checking out my glog.

I started waging war on the Scale yesterday. Seems like a small minority of the plants are being affected, those that are shorter and more bush-like chinese seem to be more affected than the taller, upright Annuums.

I've also noticed 3 or 4 plants exhibiting some signs of K, Ca, and Mg deficiency, so when fertilizing this time I used a shot of General organics calmag in addition to 50ml of Fox Farm's Tiger Bloom and no Grow Big. I'm backing off on the nitrogen as well, because it seems to be getting a bit heavy for most of the plants. The one benefit of the large amount of nitrogen is that my stems and branches are rock solid after 2 weeks of moderate wind and nice weather. I will switch to only tiger bloom for the next 2 or 3 feedings with some straight water up first to help flush some of the nitrogen out and promote flower and pod development. I have a feeling that the excess nitrogen may be inhibiting maximal flower and pod growth while allowing leaves and stems to grow rather rapidly. I did achieve my goal of getting a fair amount of foliage before setting a really heavy amount of pods. I also noticed on some of the smaller plants that the very very tip of the leaves are starting to burn a bit, which is also part of the reason for the flush up next. I may try 1:3 Grow Big:Tiger Bloom, or possibly 1:4 if I feel I'm not getting the nitrogen needed after using 100% Tiger Bloom. It may take a few weeks to come to that conclusion though.

We got a small amount of rain in the storms that passed through over the last 2 days, maybe a quarter inch or so.

Mostly, I've just got pods forming like mad to the point where I fear branches breaking. I lost a few branches due to winds and a heavy pod far out on the branch. I'm seeing a major difference in pod quality, size, and growth rate compared to what I was seeing a month ago though. The pods definitely seem heavier as well.

I've eaten a couple of cherry pods over the past few days that packed some good heat and a nice, sweet flavor. They are on par or a bit hotter than my Early Jal's which generally pack quite a punch compared to store-bought Jal's. I have not tried a Craig's Grande Jal to compare those with either. We have not had high temps yet which generally increase the heat of my pods as well, espcially mid-summer. The extra stress of the high temps seems to take them up a notch or two compared to those from spring conditions.

The Criolla pods keep getting bigger and bigger, and in addition, they are starting to set more pods. It amazes me how such a moderately small plant can produce such large pods. Very excited to eat some of those.

Oodles and oodles of pods setting or growing already... I just hate the part of waiting for them to change colors... seems to take forever. A lesson in patience I suppose.

I always check out my plants twice a day, once in the morning before work and once when I return. Some days you can see some really killer differences.

Hit 90 here yesterday. Still working long hours, clocked out around 9:30 last night.

You guys need to get used to this angle. It's the only way you can see the entire pepper squad.

The babies. Very excited about the white Bhuts.

I'll save the verbage for another day.

Maules. At it immediately after. Was good.

Peters front, unknown mid, shishito's rear

Cheated at some tomatoes.

Squash and future tomatillo home.

Cleaned my hydro systems.

A volunteer that grew without water circulation. No idea what var.

More Toms and basil, plus the tomatillos.

Pepper pics tomorrow!

Cant wait yo...

Are you the company's IT guy?

Yep, that's what I do to pay for my hobbies. I like the job, but it can be demanding.

Anyways, as promised - pepper pics.

Lemon drop

Criollas keep amazing me.

Giant cayenne. Need to tie up that branch. Getting heavy. Pods gaining quite a bit of weight.

Another mystery. Very large pod. Plant also has large flowers.

I have about a zillion other pods coming on, just waiting for them to get a bit larger. The chineses are setting pods like no tomorrow.

I've eaten a number of hot cherries and sweets, but they are not all that exciting quite yet.

We've had a decent amount of rain recently, so the coco should have flushed out a bit. Time to start hammering them with the bloom juice.

Still rainy here, but never enough to amount to more than a surface soak at one time. With that being said, the plants keep trucking through the rain.

I couldn't resist planting some supers and a few select other vars. I lost a few varieties to neglect, and wanted to get some started. 2 of 4 Red 7 Pods popped already. I planted: Red 7 Pods, Yellow 7 Pods, Reapers, Goronong, Fatalii, White bullet type habs, and thin cayennes. They were started in rockwool and will likely to to either a hydro system or in coco like my other plants.

Pretty much all of these are ready to get some bigger shoes. 

Getting pretty green in my back yard. They're slowly filling in the area. I have not had to water in 2 weeks now, all they have been getting is rain. They seem perfectly content with small amounts of rain fairly consistently. I created some burn spots on a few of the plants when spraying limonene that was more concentrated at the bottom of the bottle, ooops.

These plants were stressed from neglect and picking up nicely now. I need to eat that lettuce... Was hoping it would head, but bolted instead. Squirrels are digging in my garden, messing up my stuff. What losers. The peters are, well, "petered out" from all of the rain.

Here's a little Bhut Jolokia pod for your viewing pleasure.

I'll post up some new pod pics soon... if it ever stops raining.

an entire post, dedicated almost exclusively to pods!

Bhut Jolokia underside.

Same pod from the post before. They are growing more quickly than I expected, doubled in size in about a week.

The underside of the Arroz con pollo. Somewhere between 50 and 60 on this plant alone... and there are 2 more. Looks to be extremely productive. Pod size is starting to increase.

A fish pepper that got knocked off of the plant. Has an interesting taste in the small green stage, not all that excited about the green ones.

Scotch Bonnets are setting pods now.

Cracked Jal's. Ferry Morse Organic Early jals seem to do this, all of the seeds I've planted from the same packet have been prone to cracking.

Undersides of my Hot cherries.

And finally, the monster Moshi plants after they branched. These plants are freaking massive compared to everyone else.

Enjoy!

you haven't planted my plants yet ?! lol

yeah i haven't had a chance to water too much either. april showers brings may flowers right.

juanitos said:
you haven't planted my plants yet ?! lol

yeah i haven't had a chance to water too much either. april showers brings may flowers right.
Unfortunately I have not, and they really really need to be potted up. The White Naga's are even about to flower in a 4.5" pot. I would expect that the Choco Bhuts and Moruga's are not far behind. They have grown a decent amount though.

I have a feeling that they are extremely root bound and will explode once transplanted.

We've been getting a ton of flash flooding type situations, as well as just regular rain. I rinsed my coco and started cooking up all of the amendments over a week ago, but the dang weather and work don't seem to be coinciding very well.

I also gave away a Mulato Isleno and a Bahamian Goat to a friend in need.

Nice flood tables for your hydro system. I'm strongly thinking about pulling my flood table outside too. My only concern would be all the rain we can get in Ohio. Might dilute the nute water. I won't know unless I try though. When are you planting in the hydro system?

Back