• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoked pork butt!

Edmick said:
Very nice. I love using mustard for rubs. Takes on a whole different flavor when it's cooked.

Interesting. I thought most people used it as a binder and not for flavor, I've used it myself and never noticed the flavor in the final product... French's being the best one because mostly vinegar.

The Hot Pepper said:

Interesting. I thought most people used it as a binder and not for flavor, I've used it myself and never noticed the flavor in the final product... French's being the best one because mostly vinegar.
I actually hate mustard by itself but I use it for rubs all the time. One of my favorites is a baked salmon with a mustard rub and other spices. You barely taste it for some reason once it's cooked.

You literally just said " Takes on a whole different flavor when it's cooked" and "You barely taste it for some reason once it's cooked"

:rofl:

:eek:

homer_backs_away_bushes.gif

Yeah that was my point too. I guess I missed your original point. 

But Edmick said it's packed with flavor, but it has no flavor! (I'm paraphrasing here :rofl: )

Ok i'm like 4 IPAs deep right now so let me tell you all about it.. lol. I THINK that the mustard lends to the dish more than a binder. I don't know WHY it takes on such a different flavor when cooked but it does. Would a different binder serve the same purpose? Maybe... Dunno. A simple google search yielded no answers just now. haha

You don't even need a binder. I rub it down. Let the moisture soak through and then dust it with rub again. That's it. No mustard.

The meat is wet. Rub gonna stick.

t0mato said:
Nice two zone setup.

That's the same thing I always do with my Weber.

Glad I'm not the only one fumbling with foil.   :)  I think it helps keep the temperature stable and prevents hot spots from burning long cooks.

After 18 hours and change I pulled it off.  The foil certainly helped it get through the stall.  My wife made some oatmeal cornbread with chipotle honey butter and mac n cheese to go with it.  The beer of choice was an IPA by Oskar Blues

lxFVSoR.jpg

j6kvfR2.jpg

Back