• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoked pork butt!

The Hot Pepper said:
Dope!!!!!!

t0mato said:
Dope AF! Nice plate. When you mentioned chipotle honey butter you stole my heart.

The foil is great because it keeps any direct heat off of the meat. I like the snake method for the Weber kettle.

MikeUSMC said:
Killer looking plate, NeedsWork! I could crush that right now! Looks like a great hangover cure ;)

Thanks y'all!  I had some this morning for breakfast with cornbread after having a few too many brews last night.   ;)

Critique:

Charcoal briquettes were much easier to work with.  They would go ~4 hours with enough left to light the fresh ones.  

Bone pulled out clean and it appears that most of the fat rendered out.

Meat was great.  Predominantly pork flavor followed by smoke then sweet/salt.  The smoke was much less bitter this time.  Cutting the salt down made it much tastier.  I'm fairly salt sensitive.  We generally do not cook with it.  It was much tastier than last time.

The aromatics and the sugar in the bark really stand out.  A little bit of bark goes a long way.  It might be a little too potent for someone looking for just smoke and sweet (candy) bark.  

Some of the meat under the bark (~5% of the butt) was a little tougher than the other 95%.  I think I should have foiled it a little earlier as the fat rendered out.  Maybe my temps ran high as the day warmed up

All in - just wanted to say thanks for all of the tips which lead to a great cook!    :cheers:

No lol!

But when your brisket looks like this you're doing it right:

IMG_4925.JPG

NeedsWork said:

Glad I'm not the only one fumbling with foil.   :)  I think it helps keep the temperature stable and prevents hot spots from burning long cooks.

After 18 hours and change I pulled it off.  The foil certainly helped it get through the stall.  My wife made some oatmeal cornbread with chipotle honey butter and mac n cheese to go with it.  The beer of choice was an IPA by Oskar Blues

lxFVSoR.jpg

j6kvfR2.jpg

That looks great NeedsWork!  Love the sides too.  :)

Doing another butt for NYE,  I'm thinking pulled in big chunks on slider buns with some sort of slaw... maybe something pickled.

It went in the bath tonight at 7PM.  I'll probably put it on the webber tomorrow at 10-11pm.

Brine/marinade:

Juice from 1 large orange and 2 small limes
1 heaping tsp of fresh grated ginger
1/3 cup turbinado sugar
1/3 cup picking salt
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup Siracha hot sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tbsp celery salt
1 clove garlic, grated
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp chili flakes
1 cup white vinegar *edit* 
cold water to just cover
extra lid (not shown) to hold it under

After the butt comes out tomorrow, I am going to reduce this down (thanks for the idea t0mato) and use it as my mop sauce.

I need to figure out a rub.  I'm thinking of including honey/mustard (binder), chili flakes, and and PB2 (dried peanut butter). 

lEwwdYp.jpg

The butt is on!  Feels like -11 and my hands are sticking to anything metal.  :D

I learned some things but I still think this has a chance of turning out.  

For binder I used:

1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup mustard
1/2 large orange juiced
1 heaping teaspoon grated ginger

Lesson: The juice made the binder really thin (duh).  Next time I would probably leave it out or use just a squirt.  But I like to roll with mistakes so I slathered it on.  

For rub I used:

1/2 cup turbinado sugar
2 tbsp PB2 (dried peanut butter)
1 tbsp celery salt
1 tbsp table salt
1 tbsp ancho powder
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp cayenne
1 tbsp pepper 
1 tbsp paprika 
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin

Lesson: I ran out of rub, make more next time.  I also could have drained the extra binder before rubbing it on.  I did later into the brine reduction that will be the mop sauce.  ;)  

AacvLXH.jpg

d1mGQsY.jpg

9DTYrW8.jpg

Nice. Looks like a pretty solid rub recipe. Do you do anything different when its so damn cold outside?

Edmick said:
Nice. Looks like a pretty solid rub recipe. Do you do anything different when its so damn cold outside?

I just move a little faster.   :)

In all seriousness - I feel like it's easier to keep the temperature low when it's SDC out.  I try to lift the lid as little as possible to keep the heat in.  This time I had to thaw the grill to get the vents to open when I started.  Oh and you can't keep extra water next to the grill.  

Side note - the neighborhood smells like I'm making a HoneyBaked ham.

Sinn said:
Looking good i can smell it all the way in Brooklyn :D

Trade ya some for some brew - since we can't buy on Sunday in Indiana.  I forget every time a holiday falls on a Sunday.   :mope:

The space rock hit 195 so I tented it.  We did whole grain Hawaiian rolls, with raspberry preserves, apple cider slaw, and bacon.  Only critique is the bark was a little salty for my picky taste.  The peanut and citrus notes were very subtle.  I might up the peanut butter next time.  

XxVscoZ.jpg

NgPkGFZ.jpg

3eWarpX.jpg

There was a guy at one of my local farmers markets that would sell little pork slider type things but instead of buns he would use these homemade tortilla type things about the size of street tacos but it was thick like a pita and super soft. Then he would top it with hot sauce and a carrot/cucumber pickling. Freakin amazing and he only charged $1 a piece

Back