• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoking meat for the swim team.

Ozzy2001 said:
Good call. What would you add to the chicken?

Just use same mop. It's pretty neutral. Not too sweet not too acidic, jazz it up accordingly. Main point being moisture in stored bags released when heating.

If the cannonball is a sport, then use hogleg math. :lol:

wait is that you hogleg? :lol:

belly_flop.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
Make a mop with a bottle of apple juice diluted with same amount water, and a cup ac vinegar, and when you vac seal, put some in the bag. This will help keep moist when you go to warm it in the warmers and putting in while sealing infuses.

This is a great call and would be fine for both meats.  For the chicken I'd get bone in breasts.  They'll be cheaper per lb and more moist finished product. 

40lbs of pork is easy, that's like 2 of the cryo packs (two butts in each pack).  Can get them from Costco/Sam's/Jetro.  4 Pork butts will fit on your WSM no problem, just rotate them so they all get the loving drippings.  ;)

40lbs of chicken is going to be tougher space wise, but they'll cook far more quickly so it evens out.  I'd set up the WSM and do the pork butts on that and then cook the chicken in the other smoker.  That way you can start your cook by getting the butts on and then switch to chicken.  You should be able to finish the chicken, pack it up and then still sleep a lil bit before it's time to pull the pork.  

You'll do great dude.  Looking forward to the pics.  

Are whole chickens an option? That would be much easier and also very easy to pull after the fact :) 8 5 lb+ chickens and all set This would also be an easier setup in the WSM and many people do not like white meat so an option for dark and white could be provided and by far the cheapest method. 

SmokenFire said:

This is a great call and would be fine for both meats.  For the chicken I'd get bone in breasts.  They'll be cheaper per lb and more moist finished product. 

40lbs of pork is easy, that's like 2 of the cryo packs (two butts in each pack).  Can get them from Costco/Sam's/Jetro.  4 Pork butts will fit on your WSM no problem, just rotate them so they all get the loving drippings.  ;)

40lbs of chicken is going to be tougher space wise, but they'll cook far more quickly so it evens out.  I'd set up the WSM and do the pork butts on that and then cook the chicken in the other smoker.  That way you can start your cook by getting the butts on and then switch to chicken.  You should be able to finish the chicken, pack it up and then still sleep a lil bit before it's time to pull the pork.  

You'll do great dude.  Looking forward to the pics.  
Thanks. Exactly, my plan with the dual wsm's.
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Are whole chickens an option? That would be much easier and also very easy to pull after the fact :) 8 5 lb+ chickens and all set This would also be an easier setup in the WSM and many people do not like white meat so an option for dark and white could be provided and by far the cheapest method. 
Already got skinless, boneless. $1.99lb. It's really good chicken too. It's not my money so I'm not worried about the price. I'd prefer some dark and white mixed, but this will probably be a healthier option for those worried about it. This will be 100x better than whatever slop they were going to get too lol.

Back