• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Some BBQ & Grillin' Escapades

HigherThisHeat said:
Defintely going to do a pork butt next time. Brisket is a ton of work and time, but that meat is like butta

I have been doing my brisket low and slow since day one, but recently switched to the hot n' fast method...I don't think I'll ever go back to 12+ hr brisket cooks again.

outlaw said:

I have been doing my brisket low and slow since day one, but recently switched to the hot n' fast method...I don't think I'll ever go back to 12+ hr brisket cooks again.
What do you do? I've been seeing Myron Mixon going this way as well Im just not completely sold on this method yet

LUCKYDOG said:
What do you do? I've been seeing Myron Mixon going this way as well Im just not completely sold on this method yet
I try to keep my temp around 325ish and will let the brisket get to about 160-165 internal temp.

At this point, I set the brisket on a wire rack inside a disposable foil pan and cover the top with foil. I have found this method far superior to just foiling the brisket, as the wire rack will keep the meat from sitting in the juices and losing so much of the bark. This also allows me to retain all of the juice and drippings, which I will use to "bathe" each slice before plating or set on the side for au jus.

The first temp (160-165) is the only time I cook to a specific internal temperature. Once the brisket is in the foil and gets up to about 190-195 I will start probing the meat for the "feel" im looking for. I'm looking for it to basically slide in and out like butter - if there is any resistance I let it smoke on. I have ruined too many briskets early on by thinking that it was overdone and pulling it.

Once the probe is sliding in and out like butter I will pull it, wrap only the brisket in foil, wrap a few sheets of newspaper around that, and then into a cooler until it's time to eat. I like to let it rest for ATLEAST 30 min. to let the moisture and juices re-distribute throughout the meat.

Cut across the grain and chow!

I'll tell you the secret that I have used in the beef brisket. 

Here, in butchers, this cut is called "tapa de asado" and is commonly used for cooking in the oven and stuffed with vegetables, being a jerky, once cooked 

When already processed and placed in the window of the butcher, has taken away much of the peripheral fat. 
Having a spare is not available to non-defatted brisket, I ask the butcher, a few pieces of loose fat. and gift to me 1 pound o more. 

Once put the marinated brisket in the smoker, put over a layer of pieces of this fat. The fat is melted along the smoked on meat, preventing the dry. That's why it has been so juicy.
Then remove grease and pieces away. Crust, look as if there never added fat.

cypresshill1973 said:
Once put the marinated brisket in the smoker, put over a layer of pieces of this fat. The fat is melted along the smoked on meat, preventing the dry. That's why it has been so juicy.
Then remove grease and pieces away. Crust, look as if there never added fat.
This is a misnomer. It's well documented and proven that the fat cap melting in no way makes it juicier. In fact, some of the best brisket joints in the world cook with the fat cap down.

The juice comes from the fat within. Any fat on top melts off the sides.

wow! I have read that fat should always put up, melts and does not allow to dry meat. And that's what you try to do exactly. For that reason top add fat during cooking. Hence my conclusion. 

outlaw said:

Ok, that is definitely something I'll try soon. Thanks for the suggestion

I find brisket is best with oak. I like the meat to shine with beef. No strong woods.

What wood was that?

The Hot Pepper said:
This is a misnomer. It's well documented and proven that the fat cap melting in no way makes it juicier. In fact, some of the best brisket joints in the world cook with the fat cap down.

I agree. Fat on the bottom also protects from bottom heat (on my acorn at least). I will sometimes flip it once at the stall, just about 160 internal. Just cause Im bored really...

Whatever he did it looks juicy. No smoke ring but juicy! I really don't care about smoke ring if it tastes good. Argentina is supposed to have the best beef in the world... I would attribute it to that more than the fat pieces layered on top of the trimmed brisket. But whatever you did keep it up. :)

The Hot Pepper said:

I cook fat cap down :)

Keep practicing smoked ... Argentina vs USA do not think there as winner. There also very good meat quality.

Maybe it's kind of cooking. Do not use charcoal only use wood as a whole

The Hot Pepper said:
I find brisket is best with oak. I like the meat to shine with beef. No strong woods.

What wood was that?
Not sure if you were talking to me, but I ended up using hickory for a first time, and I have to say, not a fan. It's way too strong. Also was a little sharp so I don't know if that was user error or what.

I'll stick with sweeter woods I think. Or a blend at the least.

Last night we got to some grubbin. Smoky wings, and salmon.

I was cravin wings hard all week, so wings I shall have.
DSCN6653.JPG

20140803_171957.jpg

I'm lovin smoked wings lately. A few minutes over direct heat per each side, then hit it with some smoke over indirect heat for about 35 mins. I only had hickory on hand, so that's what I used. Not preferred, but it was delicious none the less.

My girlfriend doesn't eat mammal, but fish is fair game! So salmon for her. She prepared it in such a fashion with some delicious marinade and hotazz pepper powder, and I cooked it up.
DSCN6651.JPG

a little homebrew never hurt anyone
DSCN6658.JPG

20140803_180611_edited.jpg

This was by far the best salmon we've done yet

DSCN6672.JPG

20140803_185245.jpg

The salmon was good and all, but gotdamn do I love the wings so hard. The wait was well worth it. I love the wings so good!
DSCN6664.JPG

A fat helping of ranch dip :surprised:
DSCN6669.JPG

I'm pretty sure I could eat this every single day of my life forever 

Looks real good man, I'm a sucker for wings

Bacon smoked sea salt...mmm...so many ideas! Also loving the color on that home brew! 

outlaw said:
Looks real good man, I'm a sucker for wings

Bacon smoked sea salt...mmm...so many ideas! Also loving the color on that home brew! 
And believe it or not, that salt does not actually contain bacon. It sure gives the impression of it though.

very nice! Holy hell that is some big asparagus! Did you smoke that? I have grilled it but never smoked it.

She doesn't eat meat but she eats bacon on her fish? :lol:

VERY nice results there. Love the WANGS!

Back