• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

Hey Charles I been absent for a while now... Been having some life issues and having to deal with nasty neighbors. So here's a small update on your crosses.

Tepin x 7 pot ripened a few pods. No seeds tho... Weird. And has lots of unripe pods still. I'll make sure I send you some when there's enough ripe ;).

Ripe pods. Picked today 5/22/2014.

Ripe on the plant.

Unripe pods.

Insides.

The CAP 501 x Donne sali F1 is setting pods now. I hope to see some development this week.

A couple set already.

Glad to see your season coming in nicely. Love the way the flower stay after the pods grow.

Take care.

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
Hey Charles I been absent for a while now... Been having some life issues and having to deal with nasty neighbors. So here's a small update on your crosses.

Tepin x 7 pot ripened a few pods. No seeds tho... Weird. And has lots of unripe pods still. I'll make sure I send you some when there's enough ripe ;).

Take care.

-Walt

Hey Walt, plants are looking great.  Maybe the seed issue has to do with them having been inside at first?  Hm.. hope you get some seed.

Now, a couple of pics.

CGN 17020 (C. frutescens):

14246409405_f4ae5d205b_b.jpg

14246107264_aa4d16824f_b.jpg

Naga King, still just small little pods, nothing really taking off yet:
14243133031_26e8793e71_b.jpg

Hey Walt, plants are looking great.  Maybe the seed issue has to do with them having been inside at first?  Hm.. hope you get some seed.

Now, a couple of pics.

CGN 17020 (C. frutescens):

14246409405_f4ae5d205b_b.jpg

14246107264_aa4d16824f_b.jpg

Naga King, still just small little pods, nothing really taking off yet:
14243133031_26e8793e71_b.jpg

Well actually this plant started setting pods when I took it outside. At that time the temps were in the mid 50's and sometimes dropping more, and pods grew slow.

Now in the past 2 weeks it's been setting more pods and they're growing faster. So my theory is that the stress from unfavorable conditions caused this seed problem. I have high hopes for the pods that are on it now.

I like the flavor, it's hard to describe but I like it. I also want to send Nigel a few so he can make a review and I also sent him a plant since he lives in a place where temps hardly go over 100, there's higher chance for the plant to reach full potential. Lol...

I'll keep you updated on that one too. It also looked more chinense with larger leaves than the one I have.

Sorry for the paragraph, Lol. Have a great weekend ;).

-Walt

The CGN 17020 has mean looking flowers. Looks like they're about to bite.

I am hoping my 7pot X Tipen looks like Walt's but I am having my doubts. Looks like the pods went black before going for red, and they are definitely closer to the chiletepin shape than the 7pot shape. In any event it'll be great to see how they turn out.

Got some yellow bhut pods forming now. Shape is looking good so far. Will post some pics when they approach they're final shape. That plant is a beast... what generation are your yellow bhuts?

Happy growin bud.

maximumcapsicum said:
The CGN 17020 has mean looking flowers. Looks like they're about to bite.

I am hoping my 7pot X Tipen looks like Walt's but I am having my doubts. Looks like the pods went black before going for red, and they are definitely closer to the chiletepin shape than the 7pot shape. In any event it'll be great to see how they turn out.

Got some yellow bhut pods forming now. Shape is looking good so far. Will post some pics when they approach they're final shape. That plant is a beast... what generation are your yellow bhuts?

Happy growin bud.

Thanks maxcap.  You know, I'm not sure what generation it is, I've grown it for the past couple years... it's one of my favs...

Spicegeist said:
I think the one Lota Bih I'm growing this year may be an accidental cross.

stickman said:
I was wondering why there was such a difference in the size of the 2 Lotah Bih plants I set out... it'll be interesting to see what I get from them this year. Cheers!

Spicegeist said:
Ugh, sorry about that... I'll have isolated seed for next year I can share if neither of yours grow true...

I used to think this was accidentally crossed because some of the first flowers were looking a little odd.

But they've been coming in fine now, so I think it's probably a straight Lota Bih.  Here's what the flowers look like:

14242983806_e0cc6ccecf_b.jpg

14262775871_47c1325c08_b.jpg

They're not there yet Charles, but thanks for the heads-up!

It's been so cold the last few weeks that I finally decided to do something about it while I had a long weekend to do the job... I put Agribon 19 agricultural fabric up over the PVC row cover frame today. That'll make it warmer inside the enclosure day and night while keeping it from overheating inside and still letting in the sun and rain. It'll also block most of the wind during the day, which should warm it up even more in there. Hopefully this will jump-start the peppers that like warmer temps.

Spicegeist said:

I tried them last year when I grew the F1, but this year I'm not growing any...

Here's a flower on my CAP 501 (C. chacoense):
14287449803_0649d9eaba_b.jpg

Unless the genes are very dominant, I think you may just be growing a straight CAP 501...
 I meant compliment the flower shots...very nice.

"I tried them last year when I grew the F1, but this year I'm not growing any..."
I was fishing for a flavor opinion here, but I guess that is one in a round about way!

Hey Charles, snapped some pics of how things are going with your crosses...
Tepin x 7pot barrackpore
IMAG2144_zps0b5f3c32.jpg

plant #2
IMAG2145_zps807e9226.jpg

Aji Cristal x cumari pollux plants #1,#2
IMAG2146_zps99b0d8ca.jpg

Got a surprise on the C. Galapagoense.. I see pods..
IMAG2157_zpsba4c9b41.jpg

This is the same one the pods is on, as for the other plant. Its in ground and not a single flower has bloom yet...
IMAG2158_zps1e92cd67.jpg

Portuge said:
Hey Charles, snapped some pics of how things are going with your crosses...

Wow, the first Tepin x 7 Pot looks almost like it may be part galapagoense from the pic... it is possible since it was open pollinated.

The Aji Cristal x Cumari Pollux look really great.  I'll definitely be trading with you for pods or seeds from those plants.

Nice work James!

Back