• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

capsidadburn said:
Put me down for some of those cool yellow pod seeds later on this season Charles.  Thanks :P

Your Yellow Bhuts are probably the best plants I have going now, both in the raised bed and containers.  I am running behind due to some rough early outdoor time but all are setting fruit now.  Also the Bonda/ Y 7's are doing well I got from Gary.  The Tepin/ Barrackpores are hangin in but not doing as well as others I see on the forum.

Later Mike

Hey Mike, that's great to hear your yellow bhuts are doing well too.  I hope they turn out like I think they will...

Very nice Charles...my Galas are still the runts of the litter. I don't know what their deal is??? They're still healthy, and starting to pick up a little steam, but looking at yours I am pissed at them all over again!!! Sweet plant brother!!! What's the one ripening yellow up there?

stc3248 said:
Very nice Charles...my Galas are still the runts of the litter. I don't know what their deal is??? They're still healthy, and starting to pick up a little steam, but looking at yours I am pissed at them all over again!!! Sweet plant brother!!! What's the one ripening yellow up there?

I have two galapagoenses, one is doing amazing, as you can see.  But the other, is very mediocre.  I don't know what it is...  I can send you seed from the good plant if you want to try it again...

The tiny yellow pod is my top secret cross... it's F2 and I was looking for the yellow trait...

Portuge said:
It's crazy cause one of my Galapas is flowering and podding up but the other one hasn't had a single flower yet. Then again that one is planted in ground so it could be spreading its roots before it does anything.

So mysterious...

jedisushi06 said:
mine is too from your seeds, thanks again.

Awesome, so this should be a good Yellow Bhut year!  I hope they all turn out like their ancestors I grew (pic from 2012):
IMG_20120812_175225.jpg

Sorry this took so long. Here is my progress on your seeds Charles:

bIy66eL.jpg

Yellow Bhut. They're growing quick, look pretty true so far. The plant itself is the largest chinense in the plot. A green pod got chomped by an insect. It fell off the plant but there was no sign of the chomper so I took a bite. Hot and sweet. Can't wait to try one after they ripen.

uLe8Xa6.jpg

Here are the pods from the Barrackpore X Tiepin. Hard to tell where its going so far. Tons of these pods on the plant... probably hundreds at this point. 

maximumcapsicum said:
So far the pods are looking true Charles. How did you end up using the 2012 pods? I was probably gonna powder/make a pot of chile or 10.

I dried them and turned them into powder.

Devv said:
How was the flavor on the Yellow Bhut's?

They have that unique bhut flavor and the sweeter yellow chinense taste... quite nice.

maximumcapsicum said:
Sorry this took so long. Here is my progress on your seeds Charles:

Yellow Bhut. They're growing quick, look pretty true so far. The plant itself is the largest chinense in the plot. A green pod got chomped by an insect. It fell off the plant but there was no sign of the chomper so I took a bite. Hot and sweet. Can't wait to try one after they ripen.

Here are the pods from the Barrackpore X Tiepin. Hard to tell where its going so far. Tons of these pods on the plant... probably hundreds at this point. 

Yellow Bhuts seem to be growing true.  As for the cross, they must have been pollinated by something else, they look very much like chintexle.  In fact they look exactly like chintexle :think: .

Back