• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2016 (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yes, I said I was going to scale back to maybe even nothing.  But, this is just not going to happen.  I love peppers, love growing them, watching other people grow them, developing new crosses, eating them, talking about them, and yes, I even enjoy some drama from time to time ;)

Here's my tentative grow list for 2016:

C. annuum
Chiltepin x C. galapagoense
Brown Chiltepin
Yellow Chiltepin
Chiltepin Tarahumara
[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Negro de Valle
[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Chiltepin
Chimayo (two different seed sources)

C. frutescens
Donne Sali
CGN 17020

C. chinense
Smooth Brown Bhut
Bumpy Brown Bhut
Red Bhut
Naga Suomi
Naga Suomi x [Choco Bhut x Douglah] F2
Pink Tiger
Pimenta da Neyde
Red Bhut x Choco Bhut
Naga King
Dorset Naga
[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F2
[[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F1] x Choco Bhut
Assam Bhut x [[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F1]
Impact Bhut
Naga Suomi x Pimenta da Neyde F1
Scotch Bonnet M of A

Always interesting to see what you got cooking over here Dr. Franken err...Charles! Love your cross ideas, very creative! On the subject of the Gala X...tough call. If you know what you're looking for in a cross may be best to just cut and run with that one...however, the others could surprise you with something unexpected later on??? 

Your plants look about perfect as always brother! Keep them pics flowing!
Shane

Portuge said:
Top picture what are the two right plants?

Ah, you spotted them... they look different don't they?  Those are the two Pink Tiger plants I'm attempting to however slightly improve.
stc3248 said:
Always interesting to see what you got cooking over here Dr. Franken err...Charles! Love your cross ideas, very creative! On the subject of the Gala X...tough call. If you know what you're looking for in a cross may be best to just cut and run with that one...however, the others could surprise you with something unexpected later on??? 

Your plants look about perfect as always brother! Keep them pics flowing!
Shane

mpicante said:
Your plants look great! Hoping you have a big harvest.

Thanks guys!

Update time!

Chiltepin x C. galapagoense F1

Naga Suomi x Pimenta da Neyde F1, four plants:

Naga Suomi on top, Bhut Jolokia on bottom:

Now this is unusual, [[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Negro de Valle:

[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Chiltepin:

Most of my plants today:

Guwahati Bhut:

Plants are looking beautiful Charles!  
That galap cross certainly looks interesting for sure.  

I am glad you decided to grow again this year - even though you tried to get out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

Pulpiteer said:
Plants are looking beautiful Charles!  
That galap cross certainly looks interesting for sure.  

I am glad you decided to grow again this year - even though you tried to get out...

Haha, yeah, good to be here growing again.  It's just so helpful to me, on balance I get more out of it than it takes out of me.

Update time.

I lined up my larger pots and made tentative plans regarding which plants will go in which pots:

Pink Tigers:

They were green under the fluorescent light, but once outside they turn purple in the natural light... must be the UV:

Two rooted cuttings, one brown chiltepin (everyone's been calling this "cappuccino") and the other yellow chiltepin:

Calycanthus about to bloom here:

I started some Red Thai Hot seedlings with seed I saved from some supermarket peppers... I figured, hey why not:

Spicegeist said:
These pics are from two days ago, the lows have been in the 30s here, so I've been keeping them inside lately:

Looking good Charles! I'd kinda hoped it was warmer down your way than it is here... it's been a crazy spring hasn't it?

stickman said:

Looking good Charles! I'd kinda hoped it was warmer down your way than it is here... it's been a crazy spring hasn't it?

It really has been!  Unusually hot, then cold again...  I'm leaving most of them outside tonight, it'll get down to 40, a little cooler than I'd like, but I'm so sick of moving them around!  The lows will improve starting tomorrow:

Maligator said:
Plants look great ;)

I think most of us are getting cabin fever and want to plant out as soon as the temperature starts to stabilize.
Thanks Mali.  Temps are improving... almost there.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Healthy looking plants, man. I really like the two-tone pink tigers. Is that spicebush wild?
It is native here, but I ordered that plant from Oregon a few years ago...  Kind of crazy to do that I guess...

Back