• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2016 (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yes, I said I was going to scale back to maybe even nothing.  But, this is just not going to happen.  I love peppers, love growing them, watching other people grow them, developing new crosses, eating them, talking about them, and yes, I even enjoy some drama from time to time ;)

Here's my tentative grow list for 2016:

C. annuum
Chiltepin x C. galapagoense
Brown Chiltepin
Yellow Chiltepin
Chiltepin Tarahumara
[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Negro de Valle
[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Chiltepin
Chimayo (two different seed sources)

C. frutescens
Donne Sali
CGN 17020

C. chinense
Smooth Brown Bhut
Bumpy Brown Bhut
Red Bhut
Naga Suomi
Naga Suomi x [Choco Bhut x Douglah] F2
Pink Tiger
Pimenta da Neyde
Red Bhut x Choco Bhut
Naga King
Dorset Naga
[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F2
[[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F1] x Choco Bhut
Assam Bhut x [[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F1]
Impact Bhut
Naga Suomi x Pimenta da Neyde F1
Scotch Bonnet M of A

Spicegeist said:

It really has been!  Unusually hot, then cold again...  I'm leaving most of them outside tonight, it'll get down to 40, a little cooler than I'd like, but I'm so sick of moving them around!  The lows will improve starting tomorrow:

The kind of weather we get in spring... overnight lows in the 40s is when I transplant mine outside using plasticulture methods to keep them warm. It gives me a 3-week jump on our season here.

We've been getting a lot of rain, but the sun came out for a bit so I took a few photos.

I just potted up my plants the other day, here are a couple shots of most of them:

I didn't gamble too much with new varieties this year, but two that I did take a chance on were the brown and yellow chiltepins.  I received pods in the mail from another grower and grew out the seed.  Well, the brown chiltepin is definitely no such thing (even though it still might be interesting):

Two Naga King plants, each grown with seed from two different pods off my plants last year:

Some of my more vigorous bhut/naga types, Naga Suomi on the left and Dorset Naga on the right:

Baby Pink Tiger pod:

Chiltepin x C. galapagoense F1 developing fruit:

Here's probably the craziest cross I'm growing this year: [[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Negro de Valle.  I'm not sure if these are just early runt pods or if this is how they will turn out.  Two different pods:

I found some nice looking Thai Hot peppers at the supermarket and thought what the heck, so I started a few plants.  Here are two different plants grown with seed from two different pods and a dried pod so you can see what they looked like:

Two Chimayo plants, the one on the left grown with seed from Native Seed and the one on the right with seed from Sandia.  Sandia grows taller, and the NS plant grows a little bushier:

My one Yellow Seven Pod grown from saved seed, it's suffering a bit from something a slug or earwigs, not sure, but it ought to be fine:

Overwintered Seven Pod Moruga coming back to life:

Two accidental Chiltepin Tarahumara x Chintexle F1.  I grew them from seed from different pods off a Chiltepin Tarahumara I grew a couple years back, but they turned out to be crosses.  I can tell it was with a Chintexle from the habit and the pod shape.  Still pretty interesting.  Each pic is from a different plant:

You've got some great-looking plants Charles! I'll be interested to see how some of those crosses turn out for you. Have you grown the Chimayo' chiles before? I've grown the ones from Sandia, but haven't tried the variety from Native Seeds. That'll be interesting to follow too. Keep on truckin'!

stickman said:
You've got some great-looking plants Charles! I'll be interested to see how some of those crosses turn out for you. Have you grown the Chimayo' chiles before? I've grown the ones from Sandia, but haven't tried the variety from Native Seeds. That'll be interesting to follow too. Keep on truckin'!

I tried growing a Chimayo last year, but the plant didn't make it.  I've heard good things about it and am looking forward to tasting it.  From what I can tell, not a lot of people grow it here in the East... maybe I'll try crossing the two different Chimayos for more vigorous seed next year.  How did it grow for you?

Spicegeist said:

I tried growing a Chimayo last year, but the plant didn't make it.  I've heard good things about it and am looking forward to tasting it.  From what I can tell, not a lot of people grow it here in the East... maybe I'll try crossing the two different Chimayos for more vigorous seed next year.  How did it grow for you?

It did great for me here... it was one of my earliest ripening Annuums, with great flavor and more heat than the Anaheims I've grown. I think the conditions here are almost exactly like what they're used to in the mountains north of Albuquerque.

The near constant rain is letting up a bit.  Potted up probably everything I'm going to this year.

Here are the two sources for my Chimayos:
Here are the two plants in their final pots:

I usually don't post non-chili pepper pics, but I'll include just a few here.

Calycanthus Venus and California Calycanthus:

I have a coffee house plant that has produced fruit:

Flower on my Chiltepin x C. galapagoense, a bit blurry, but still something to see:

stickman said:
Nice pics Charles! Seeing as how you're getting ripe coffee cherries, will you be getting a Palm Civet too... ;)

Lol, a Palm Civet?  Never heard of that... just looked it up, pretty cute little critter.

We’ve had way too much rain, it’s finally clearing up.

My plants today:

Baby Chimayo pod:

Three Baby Barrackpore plants grown with seed from three different pods:

What is a Baby Barrackpore you ask?  The other year I crossed Seven Pod Barrackpore with a Chiltepin and shared the seed with a handful of people, including my friend windchicken.   He grew out a few F2 plants and named his favorite phenotype “Baby Barrackpore.”  He sent me a few pods from the F2 plant after his grow last year.

stickman said:
Interesting cross... Barrackpore with an Annuum. I'd be interested to see how that comes out for ya. Here's hoping the sun comes out for you and warms things up!

az1000 said:
Looking good!
Very interesting cross Anuum x Chinense .
Barrackpore was the mother?

OCD Chilehead said:
Yeah, definitely a interesting cross. Love to see what the look like.

Should be interesting.  The plants are all looking very similar, which is a bit surprising.  As to the "mother," it was the Chiltepin, so the cross was Chiltepin x Seven Pod Barrackpore.  Here's a pic of what I sent to Gary back then:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/36978-/page-25#entry887853

I messed up by reorganizing my photobucket photos for that year, so alas, you won't see any of my pics there.

Spicegeist said:

Should be interesting.  The plants are all looking very similar, which is a bit surprising.  As to the "mother," it was the Chiltepin, so the cross was Chiltepin x Seven Pod Barrackpore.  Here's a pic of what I sent to Gary back then:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/36978-/page-25#entry887853

I messed up by reorganizing my photobucket photos for that year, so alas, you won't see any of my pics there.

Are the pods from the Chiltepin x Barrackpore the ones in the bottom left of the picture? How did they taste? I remember Shane saying that the Barrackpores had a flavor similar to burnt plastic.

Back