• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2016 (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yes, I said I was going to scale back to maybe even nothing.  But, this is just not going to happen.  I love peppers, love growing them, watching other people grow them, developing new crosses, eating them, talking about them, and yes, I even enjoy some drama from time to time ;)

Here's my tentative grow list for 2016:

C. annuum
Chiltepin x C. galapagoense
Brown Chiltepin
Yellow Chiltepin
Chiltepin Tarahumara
[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Negro de Valle
[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Chiltepin
Chimayo (two different seed sources)

C. frutescens
Donne Sali
CGN 17020

C. chinense
Smooth Brown Bhut
Bumpy Brown Bhut
Red Bhut
Naga Suomi
Naga Suomi x [Choco Bhut x Douglah] F2
Pink Tiger
Pimenta da Neyde
Red Bhut x Choco Bhut
Naga King
Dorset Naga
[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F2
[[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F1] x Choco Bhut
Assam Bhut x [[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F1]
Impact Bhut
Naga Suomi x Pimenta da Neyde F1
Scotch Bonnet M of A

My two Chimayo plants, I'm still excited about these, but they don't seem very productive.  Each plant has about seven 2-3 inch pods:

Suomi x Neyde F1 pod shape:

The particular Assam Bhut I'm growing has noticeably longer stems than other bhut/naga types, so too does the particular Naga Morich ("Bangladeshi strain, '07 seed") I'm growing:

Chiltepin Tarahumara x Chintexle F1 (accidental cross) ripening, these suckers are hot :fireball: :

Here's my official 2016 grow list.  I'm growing other plants too, but these are my primary focus.

Bhut / Naga Types (C. chinense)
1. Naga Suomi
2. Naga Morich
3. Dorset Naga
4. Red Bhut
5. Impact Bhut
6. Guwahati Bhut
7. Assam Bhut
8. Naga King
9. My Bhut
10. Smooth Brown Bhut
11. Bumpy Brown Bhut ✓ 

C. frutescens:
12. CGN 17020
13. Donne Sali

Crosses:
14. Naga Suomi x Pimenta da Neyde F1
15. Pink Tiger

C. annuum
16. Chimayo

Other crosses:
17. [[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Negro de Valle
18. Chiltepin x C. galapagoense
19. Chiltepin Tarahumara x Chintexle F1
20. Chiltepin x Seven Pod Barrackpore F3
21. Naga Suomi x [Choco Bhut x Douglah] F2
22. [Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F2
23. [[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F1] x Choco Bhut

Other C. chinense:
24. Seven Pod Moruga
25. Seven Pod Yellow

The Chimayo pods will get bigger before they ripen Charles. There's a lot of variation in size, but some will be about the size of smallish Anaheim chiles. If you can protect them from the midsummer heat, they'll keep pumping out the pods all summer. One caveat... the branches are kind of spindly and brittle. You might want to stake up the branches to avoid them snapping from wind squalls or the weight of pods. It's nice to see your plants in full production mode! Long may they continue... :)

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Professor X...things looking great Charles. Excited for your season
Will keep an eye on your pink Tigers.

I'll be sure to post pics as they get going... the plants are still growing a bit at this point, but they're just about ready to focus on flower production.

stickman said:
The Chimayo pods will get bigger before they ripen Charles. There's a lot of variation in size, but some will be about the size of smallish Anaheim chiles. If you can protect them from the midsummer heat, they'll keep pumping out the pods all summer. One caveat... the branches are kind of spindly and brittle. You might want to stake up the branches to avoid them snapping from wind squalls or the weight of pods. It's nice to see your plants in full production mode! Long may they continue... :)

Thanks for the pointers, this season is definitely a learning experience for me with this variety.

I moved a few plants back to my list above (#s 21, 22, and 23), but I should mention one in particular.  I shared seed with a few people I labelled GuwaX, it was just an easier way for me to identify this particular cross of mine: [Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F2.  F2 plants can be annoying to grow because of how much they might vary, but I'm happy to say I've found a winner in the handful I had going.  I'll pot it up soon so it can grow a bit more this season.  It already has a few pods developing on the plant.  I'll post a pic once I get it in its new pot.

A very interesting gro as always, Charles!
The crossing experiments are very intriguing...

Glad the weather has turned for you - we've had our
usual crazy wet, cloudy June following a relatively
Decent May. I'm hoping the current summer-like
spell will help the plants fight the bac spot infection
they have developed.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Nice looking little pods!

az1000 said:
Nice plant !

Thanks guys!

OCD Chilehead said:
Glog is looking Charles.

Love the crosses. That Chiltepin x Seven Pod Barrackpore looks like a great one.

How's the flavor of the Chiltepin Tarahumara x Chintexle?
I would definitely be interested. My Chiltepins are from a green house. I didn't save any seeds, from last year's plants. My seed stock was old. Couldn't even get 1 out of 25 seeds to pop.

Thanks.  The Chiltepin x Barrackpore has yet to flower... I don't really have a lot of sun.  I hope I get some fruit off them...

The Chiltepin x Chintexle was so hot I didn't really pay too close attention to the flavor.  It's a softer pod, more like the Chintexle if you've ever experienced that.  F2 could be more Chiltepin- or more Chintexle-like... there's no telling.

Spicegeist said:
Had another Chiltepin Tarahumara x Chintexle F1 today, amazingly :hot: :fireball:

If anyone is looking for a new little wild/bird pepper to grow, I'd be happy to share some seed.  It's unlikely I'll be growing out any F2 plants from this.

Plants and pods:

Count me in Charles, I will give this a try... You've seen the Cap501xBhut F2 I grew back in 14'
828043cc-b264-40e0-a3a7-ffbc07e4e40a_zps67487f96.jpg

Spicegeist said:
Thanks guys!

Thanks.  The Chiltepin x Barrackpore has yet to flower... I don't really have a lot of sun.  I hope I get some fruit off them...

The Chiltepin x Chintexle was so hot I didn't really pay too close attention to the flavor.  It's a softer pod, more like the Chintexle if you've ever experienced that.  F2 could be more Chiltepin- or more Chintexle-like... there's no telling.
Sounds like a good one. Let me know when you get some seeds, and I'll pay you for some.

Glad to see the bhuts are doing well. Guwahati looks interesting.

The chiltepin x chintexle seems a nice one to grow, i love tepins and bird types!
Nice to see some great bhut poddage as well!

Datil

Thanks guys.  I'll have to figure out how to save some pods from that Chiltepin x Chintexle... after I posted the pics a bird has actually been eating all the red ripe bird peppers!  Either a robin or blue jay... I've seen both hanging around near my plants :surprised:

Back