• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2016 (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yes, I said I was going to scale back to maybe even nothing.  But, this is just not going to happen.  I love peppers, love growing them, watching other people grow them, developing new crosses, eating them, talking about them, and yes, I even enjoy some drama from time to time ;)

Here's my tentative grow list for 2016:

C. annuum
Chiltepin x C. galapagoense
Brown Chiltepin
Yellow Chiltepin
Chiltepin Tarahumara
[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Negro de Valle
[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Chiltepin
Chimayo (two different seed sources)

C. frutescens
Donne Sali
CGN 17020

C. chinense
Smooth Brown Bhut
Bumpy Brown Bhut
Red Bhut
Naga Suomi
Naga Suomi x [Choco Bhut x Douglah] F2
Pink Tiger
Pimenta da Neyde
Red Bhut x Choco Bhut
Naga King
Dorset Naga
[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F2
[[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F1] x Choco Bhut
Assam Bhut x [[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F1]
Impact Bhut
Naga Suomi x Pimenta da Neyde F1
Scotch Bonnet M of A

Do you still grow the nagasco?  You sent me some seeds a some time ago (I can't really remember when).  Last year the only pods that I harvested were nagascos.  

t0mato said:
Do you still grow the nagasco?  You sent me some seeds a some time ago (I can't really remember when).  Last year the only pods that I harvested were nagascos.  

Wow, that's a while back :)  I gave some to a guy in Australia, but never found out how they turned out.  Do you have pics of how yours grew?  I didn't keep it going myself.
jcw10tc said:
Very nice and impressive selection of Bhuts and crosses.  Good luck with your season.

Thanks!  I love bhuts, I want to keep a few of these lines pure and keep them going...

Spicegeist said:

Thanks!  I love bhuts, I want to keep a few of these lines pure and keep them going...
Yes, I see.   I'll keep up with these interesting strains.  Bhuts in general haven't been my favorite, but I have become a big fan of the Peach Bhut.  Have peach bhuts going from 4 different sources this year.  I am growing most of the colors also, give the all one last try before hopefully becoming more selective next year maybe.  Hoping to find a nice orange one someday.  Have a few candidates for that this year.  I have something that popped up as a volunteer last year I am growing in hopes it comes back. Was overall bhut shaped but thicker walled and orange and very nice.  Not sure what it would be given there wasn't anything like it in the location it popped up in last season.  

jcw10tc said:
Yes, I see.   I'll keep up with these interesting strains.  Bhuts in general haven't been my favorite, but I have become a big fan of the Peach Bhut.  Have peach bhuts going from 4 different sources this year.  I am growing most of the colors also, give the all one last try before hopefully becoming more selective next year maybe.  Hoping to find a nice orange one someday.  Have a few candidates for that this year.  I have something that popped up as a volunteer last year I am growing in hopes it comes back. Was overall bhut shaped but thicker walled and orange and very nice.  Not sure what it would be given there wasn't anything like it in the location it popped up in last season.  

I made a Peach Bhut x Jay's Peach Scorpion cross in 2014 and grew it out last year, shared a bunch of F2 seed this year.  Should be interesting to see how those turn out if anyone posts pics.

Spicegeist said:

I made a Peach Bhut x Jay's Peach Scorpion cross in 2014 and grew it out last year, shared a bunch of F2 seed this year.  Should be interesting to see how those turn out if anyone posts pics.
Yeah, that sounds really good.  Jay's PGS was one of my favorites last year.  Hopefully someone will post, sounds interesting.

Spicegeist said:

Wow, that's a while back :)  I gave some to a guy in Australia, but never found out how they turned out.  Do you have pics of how yours grew?  I didn't keep it going myself.

Here are a couple shots I took back in October.
[/URL]">http://

[/URL]">http://

It turned out pretty naga like.  The pods were also pretty darn hot and tasted a lot like a naga.

Ozzy2001 said:
If things go according to plans, I'll have a lot of MOA's red and yellow.  I'm sure we can do some trades mid season.  

Nice!  That sounds like a great idea.

t0mato said:
Here are a couple shots I took back in October.

It turned out pretty naga like.  The pods were also pretty darn hot and tasted a lot like a naga.

Wow, that's great to see.  They do look more Naga like, very cool :cool:  thanks for sharing.

Here's my updated list of plants.

C. annuum
Chiltepin x C. galapagoense (5)
Chiltepin Tarahumara (4)
[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Negro de Valle (1)
[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Chiltepin (3)
Yellow Chiltepin (2)
Brown Chiltepin (1)
Chimayo (4)

C. frutescens
Donne Sali (2)
CGN 17020 (3)

C. chinense
Smooth Brown Bhut (2)
Bumpy Brown Bhut (4)
Red Bhut (8)
Red Bhut x Choco Bhut (1)
Naga Suomi (3)
Pink Tiger (3)
Naga King (2)
Dorset Naga (2)
Guwahati Bhut (1)
Bengal Naga (2)
Naga Morich Bangladeshi strain '07 seed (1)
[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F2 (5)
[[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F1] x Choco Bhut (1)
Naga Suomi x [Choco Bhut x Douglah] F2 (3)
Impact Bhut (2)
Naga Suomi x Pimenta da Neyde F1 (4)

Overwinters
Bhut Jolokia (3)
Seven Pod Moruga (1)
Assam Bhut (1)
Pink Tiger (1)
Freaky Yellow Bhut (1)

A couple of Donne Sali plants:

I'm not too optimistic about the yellow and brown chiltepins.  I tried to germinate seed from different pods, but only ended up with two yellow and one brown plant.  The two yellow chiltepins don't look the same, which probably means either one or both aren't going to true:

Pink Tiger looking good:

Two of my Chiltepin x C. galapagoense F1.  Only one out of the five plants I'm growing has that galapagoense odor, I might just pot that one up and let the rest go, not sure.

Here's how things look today:

Spicegeist said:
Yes, I said I was going to scale back to maybe even nothing.  But, this is just not going to happen.  I love peppers, love growing them, watching other people grow them, developing new crosses, eating them, talking about them, and yes, I even enjoy some drama from time to time ;)

:lol:  :lol:  Glad you changed your mind. Look forward to seeing your season progress Charles!

Impressive grow already, Charles!  I always enjoy your pics and crosses.
Way to get the jump on the 2016 season, buddy!

Running out of space:

Some of the seedlings still need the stronger light:

In 2012 I grew a great Seven Pod Yellow, but for whatever reason the seed I saved has been really reluctant to germinate.  This year I planted a lot of that 2012 seed and finally got one to come up, I will revive the line this year with this plant:

Back