• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2016 (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yes, I said I was going to scale back to maybe even nothing.  But, this is just not going to happen.  I love peppers, love growing them, watching other people grow them, developing new crosses, eating them, talking about them, and yes, I even enjoy some drama from time to time ;)

Here's my tentative grow list for 2016:

C. annuum
Chiltepin x C. galapagoense
Brown Chiltepin
Yellow Chiltepin
Chiltepin Tarahumara
[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Negro de Valle
[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Chiltepin
Chimayo (two different seed sources)

C. frutescens
Donne Sali
CGN 17020

C. chinense
Smooth Brown Bhut
Bumpy Brown Bhut
Red Bhut
Naga Suomi
Naga Suomi x [Choco Bhut x Douglah] F2
Pink Tiger
Pimenta da Neyde
Red Bhut x Choco Bhut
Naga King
Dorset Naga
[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F2
[[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F1] x Choco Bhut
Assam Bhut x [[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F1]
Impact Bhut
Naga Suomi x Pimenta da Neyde F1
Scotch Bonnet M of A

Had mocking birds eat my ripe piquins one year, couldn't figure out how some of the piquins were half eaten. Watched my plants one day and noticed this bird just fly in and have a feast on em.

Portuge said:
Had mocking birds eat my ripe piquins one year, couldn't figure out how some of the piquins were half eaten. Watched my plants one day and noticed this bird just fly in and have a feast on em.

Haha, I don't mind feeding the birds... just hope they save a few for me :)

stickman said:
Very nice Charles! Were your Chimayos the first pods to ripen for you like they consistently were for me? All looking splendid... keep up the great work!

Thanks Rick.  Yeah, pretty much, except for my Chiltepin X Chintexle and a couple of random runt pods...  I'll still wait for the Chimayos to be complete ripe before I pluck them.

Very nice update Charles ... A few seasons ago the UK chilli forum had a friendly challenge to grow a mystery seed in any medium to get the quickest single mature pod. We eventually worked out it was " Chimayo" all I can remember it did take a while to fully mature ... yours look great

Nightcrawler said:
Great grow. What's the flavor like on the CGN 17020? Been trying to pick a cool frute for next year

Thanks NC, it's got a good flavor... the main thing for me was to find a frutescens that wasn't too juicy... this fit the bill.

Trident chilli said:
Very nice update Charles ... A few seasons ago the UK chilli forum had a friendly challenge to grow a mystery seed in any medium to get the quickest single mature pod. We eventually worked out it was " Chimayo" all I can remember it did take a while to fully mature ... yours look great

Thanks Trident... ah, the Chimayo has gotten around hasn't it?  I'm not sure it's a stable variety.  I grew seed from two different sources, liked one better than the other, and kept two plants going from my preferred source.  Even these two plants had variation!

I picked the peppers off my two Chimayo plants:

One plant put out fatter, more squat chilis:

The other more elongated:

I saved the seed from a few of these ripe peppers and put them into the dehydrator... will try some Chimayo powder/flakes soon:

My selected GuwaX plant.  The pods are looking elongated and bhut-like:

Anise hyssop (Agastache foeniculum), comes back every year.  Love this plant.

Naga Suomi x [Choco Bhut x Douglah] F2

A couple of naga types I was growing for the first time this year turned out to be crosses.  I'm guessing this Naga Morich Bangladeshi Strain '07 Seed was crossed with a Scotch Bonnet... of course I don't really know though:

Bengal Naga is looking off... interesting, but off:

Pink Tiger, not very productive, but pretty and delicious:

Naga Suomi x Pimenta da Neyde F1, these are pretty massive:

Naga King I've been growing for a couple years, original seed from my friend PeriPeri:

A true Dorset Naga.  Having varieties you really like grow true from your saved seed is very satisfying:

Mantises are growing, tonight I watched one rip a flying insect in half and then start eating, pretty gruesome:

Datil said:
Sorry for the unwanted hybrids... Finding pure genetics is becoming harder and harder nowadays so you did a great job keeping your nagas 'real'.

Cya

Datil

Thanks Datil.  It has taken quite a bit of trial and error and getting lucky to collect the bhuts and nagas I have going.  I'm always surprised at how simplistic articles I find on the internet are about the bhut and naga varieties.  As if there's one Bhut Jolokia.  I even see pictures in books that are supposed to be bhuts, but aren't even close.  So strange.

Devv said:
Great looking grow Charles!

Plenty of healthy plants and nice looking pods!

Keep it green!

Thanks Devv!

stickman said:
Wow! those Bengal Nagas are looking pretty ghostly, color-wise... even more than the King Naga.

Well, it's almost certainly a cross... I'll send you seed if you like, I'm not going to grow it again...

Back