• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicy Chicken's MMXII Grow Log (The Hot Spot Pepper Shack)

Hello everyone!

Planting seeds is still a couple of weeks away yet but thought I would start out with an introduction and let you know a little bit about our place we call The Hot Spot or should I say what others call it, I call it a garden. ;)

Here is a little bit about our hobby farm and how we turned what once was an old abandon farm into our favorite place to be.

This is a family oriented hobby farm located in Northeastern Wisconsin. The farm is about elevan acres in size but we are utilizing only a small portion for the garden. Even though our growing time is short we use every day given to produce some of the best peppers in the state.

We have lived here since 2002 and our garden is just a smidge over 1/2 acre. As each year has passed the pepper garden has grown. Our garden for the year of 2010 had just over 1000 pepper seedlings planted, 2011 2000. Although no herbicides, pesticides, or chemical fertilizers are used, we are not organically certified and do not claim to be.

The compost that is integrated into the soil is procured from a large organic dairy farm a few miles from our home. The soil is sifted and mixed with the compost to create raised, plastic mulch covered beds, thus giving us the ability to control soil heat, moisture and weeds. As the plant grows, we denude the early buds, giving plants time to become strong and resilient.

After the first denuding, plants are then allowed to grow into a nice leafy foliage that produces great tasting peppers we are happy to be able to share with others.

From our family to yours, Thank you!

I am in the midst of building a grow room with a second story green house where this year I will be able to start the plants. Some of you may have seen the tread in Grow Tech category, might be interesting if you’re ever bored. http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23974-spicy-chickens-grow-room-and-greenhouse-makeover/f

Worked very hard at it last summer, my wife calls it The Pepper Shack.

A couple of before and after pics.

Greenhouse_Before_After_001.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_002.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_003.jpg
settings.gif

Greenhouse_Before_After_004.jpg

As you can see I have a long way to go, but at least I will be able to start the seeds in there, really looking forward to that.

More to come. thanks for looking! SC

More sprouts every day, looks like I have a little over 55% rate on the butch T's but might get a few more to pop plus will do one more tray in a few days.
True leaves starting, should have some time today to raise them to the light, their reaching. Last thing I need is for them to be leggy.

2012_Grow_Log_016.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_017.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_018.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_019.jpg

Things to do:

1. Sell house.

2. Buy old farm, hire Spicy Chicken to remodel.

3. Find time to "play gulf, ride four wheelers, eat porterhouse steaks and enjoy many of my favorite beverages"

4. Die and go to heaven.

5. Realize I'm already there.

Picture perfect Spicy, congrats to you man.

:woohoo found some time to raise the plants up today, hopefully tomorrow I can get another 4 or 5 hundred planted.
Turning the trays will only allow for 24 98 cell units; might have to put up some more shelving, darn-it.

2012_Grow_Log_020.jpg

I especially like the bottom shelf!
Your set-up is first class, SC. Great to see how
a larger scale grow out can look. Sorry you
have to build more shelves! Can't wait to see
more. Drool :drooling: drool, dribble.

Jeff,
A few days back another Wisconsin resident was troubling over his short growing season...I sent him a link to your grow from last year. I like the creative ideas you have...rolling the plastic with the tractor, punching holes with the heated pipe, your seed vac, dryers...the list goes on. Every detail though of, and covered. Real professional stuff...he was also complaining about deer, how do you deal with them. I told him .308 or Muzzy Broadheads should do the trick or dogs. When those aren't manned, what do you do? I saw you post about hunting from the balcony of your pepper shack, and you are in Wisconsin so I know you have deer to deal with.

Your grow looks amazing! As expected!
Shane

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Jeff,
A few days back another Wisconsin resident was troubling over his short growing season...I sent him a link to your grow from last year. I like the creative ideas you have...rolling the plastic with the tractor, punching holes with the heated pipe, your seed vac, dryers...the list goes on. Every detail though of, and covered. Real professional stuff...he was also complaining about deer, how do you deal with them. I told him .308 or Muzzy Broadheads should do the trick or dogs. When those aren't manned, what do you do? I saw you post about hunting from the balcony of your pepper shack, and you are in Wisconsin so I know you have deer to deal with.

Your grow looks amazing! As expected!
Shane

I found if you take some bhut powder ( maybe a thimble full ) and a couple gallons of water in a pump up sprayer works wonders, them critters love young tender pepper shoots. but of coarse their sensitive noses can't handle bhut powder. I also use another method but would have to say I lied if the DNR ever read this. LOL

Things to do:

1. Sell house.

2. Buy old farm, hire Spicy Chicken to remodel.

3. Find time to "play gulf, ride four wheelers, eat porterhouse steaks and enjoy many of my favorite beverages"

4. Die and go to heaven.

5. Realize I'm already there.

Picture perfect Spicy, congrats to you man.

Your missin out Patrick, I cooked this for you tonight but you never showed so will have to give it to the dog I guess. :pray:

Steak001.jpg

I wanna be your dog. Very few things in life bring me more pleasure than a rare-med rare Porterhouse. That is beautiful Spicy. Now I have to truck on up to my local grocery store by the name of Fareway. They have the old fashioned meat counter with a dozen butchers standing behind it waiting to fulfill you're every meat fantasy. I love the place.

Think its time to start over, something is screwed up with all the plants, they just don't look normal, light, soil, water, or whatever never had this problem before. shit
2012_Grow_Log_022.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_021.jpg

ALL of them??? Or just some? That really sucks man. They don't look terrible...they could be worse for sure! You want me to send you a picture of worse? Is it my imagination or are the ones on the ends a little greener? That would make me think too much light or heat directly under the lights???

Back