• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicy Chicken's MMXII Grow Log (The Hot Spot Pepper Shack)

Hello everyone!

Planting seeds is still a couple of weeks away yet but thought I would start out with an introduction and let you know a little bit about our place we call The Hot Spot or should I say what others call it, I call it a garden. ;)

Here is a little bit about our hobby farm and how we turned what once was an old abandon farm into our favorite place to be.

This is a family oriented hobby farm located in Northeastern Wisconsin. The farm is about elevan acres in size but we are utilizing only a small portion for the garden. Even though our growing time is short we use every day given to produce some of the best peppers in the state.

We have lived here since 2002 and our garden is just a smidge over 1/2 acre. As each year has passed the pepper garden has grown. Our garden for the year of 2010 had just over 1000 pepper seedlings planted, 2011 2000. Although no herbicides, pesticides, or chemical fertilizers are used, we are not organically certified and do not claim to be.

The compost that is integrated into the soil is procured from a large organic dairy farm a few miles from our home. The soil is sifted and mixed with the compost to create raised, plastic mulch covered beds, thus giving us the ability to control soil heat, moisture and weeds. As the plant grows, we denude the early buds, giving plants time to become strong and resilient.

After the first denuding, plants are then allowed to grow into a nice leafy foliage that produces great tasting peppers we are happy to be able to share with others.

From our family to yours, Thank you!

I am in the midst of building a grow room with a second story green house where this year I will be able to start the plants. Some of you may have seen the tread in Grow Tech category, might be interesting if you’re ever bored. http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23974-spicy-chickens-grow-room-and-greenhouse-makeover/f

Worked very hard at it last summer, my wife calls it The Pepper Shack.

A couple of before and after pics.

Greenhouse_Before_After_001.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_002.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_003.jpg
settings.gif

Greenhouse_Before_After_004.jpg

As you can see I have a long way to go, but at least I will be able to start the seeds in there, really looking forward to that.

More to come. thanks for looking! SC

Hey Jeff, wet down your mix and check the ph, the inter structure in the leaves look darker, that's a good sign of better things to come, the opposite is not.
They look to lacking some "N"

Greg

I especially like the bottom shelf!
Your set-up is first class, SC. Great to see how
a larger scale grow out can look. Sorry you
have to build more shelves! Can't wait to see
more. Drool :P drool, dribble.

Thanks PaulG, When I got done raising all th plants up to the light I called my wife In the house and told her the good news, her reply was: "good for you what do you want a cookie" I said more than one with a glass of milk; next thing you know.
Nothing like a big glass of milk and cookies just before bedtime to add some expansion to the waistline. :rofl:

I’ve decided to build a whole new room for the shelves. http://www.thehotpep...__fromsearch__1

WOW!! nice video you the man
Thanks, I had fun making it. :halo:

I wanna be your dog. Very few things in life bring me more pleasure than a rare-med rare Porterhouse. That is beautiful Spicy. Now I have to truck on up to my local grocery store by the name of Fareway. They have the old fashioned meat counter with a dozen butchers standing behind it waiting to fulfill you're every meat fantasy. I love the place.

Sorry but I was the dog the next day, not as good as when they first come off the grill, my favorite part besides the tenderloin side is out side edge, just that little bit of crispy fat has the most awesome flavor. Ya I’m a carnivore! :shocked:

ALL of them??? Or just some? That really sucks man. They don't look terrible...they could be worse for sure! You want me to send you a picture of worse? Is it my imagination or are the ones on the ends a little greener? That would make me think too much light or heat directly under the lights???

All of them are that way, I had the tray sitting in the opposite direction until they got raised and even though the lights are 2 foot wide, the bulbs themselves are only about 16 inches wide giving the middle more light; that would be my guess, maybe. :?:

I think they're fine dude! Give em a little time!

I will, but how much I don’t know, :rolleyes:

That vid was epic!! Made me want to go "work" on my plants and blast that song!

Thanks, well get to it then, :dance:

Hey Jeff, wet down your mix and check the ph, the inter structure in the leaves look darker, that's a good sign of better things to come, the opposite is not.
They look to lacking some "N"

Greg

Will do, I have to go buy a Ph meter, any suggestions anyone. :?:

So going through the somewhat new glog section(which I now follow for new thread notification) I find this. A very nice read. Loving the skill as always.

Thanks PaulG, When I got done raising all th plants up to the light I called my wife In the house and told her the good news, her reply was: "good for you what do you want a cookie" I said more than one with a glass of milk; next thing you know.
Nothing like a big glass of milk and cookies just before bedtime to add some expansion to the waistline. :rofl:

I’ve decided to build a whole new room for the shelves. http://www.thehotpep...__fromsearch__1

Thanks, I had fun making it. :halo:

Sorry but I was the dog the next day, not as good as when they first come off the grill, my favorite part besides the tenderloin side is out side edge, just that little bit of crispy fat has the most awesome flavor. Ya I’m a carnivore! :shocked:

All of them are that way, I had the tray sitting in the opposite direction until they got raised and even though the lights are 2 foot wide, the bulbs themselves are only about 16 inches wide giving the middle more light; that would be my guess, maybe. :?:

I will, but how much I don’t know, :rolleyes:

Thanks, well get to it then, :dance:

Will do, I have to go buy a Ph meter, any suggestions anyone. :?:

This is what I use, I do have to caibrate it once a month, but it been working great for me, and i think i paid like 35 bucks at my local hydro store.

http://www.opentip.com/Tools-Auto-Industrial/Hanna-Instruments-Hi-Ph-Tester-Temperature-Compensation-p-2167153.html

Update:
Had just enough time today to drop another 600 seeds, used a different mix and water, as soon as they sprout I will give them a go under the 4000watt MH light and see if it makes a difference.

2012_Grow_Log_023.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_024.jpg

Pequin Reds, yellow color but surviving.

2012_Grow_Log_025.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_026.jpg

Hey, Spicy - just out of curiosity, How many plants are we talking about out of all
these germinations? I bet that those little pequins will perk right up.
They look pretty healthy to me, and why not, it's like they're staying
at the Park Hilton!

Too bad you can't be in 'ghetto gear' :lol: ;)

4000W= :flamethrower: :fireball:

Good luck on your modified setup!

Thanks stc, I will need it!

Hey, Spicy - just out of curiosity, How many plants are we talking about out of all
these germinations? I bet that those little pequins will perk right up.
They look pretty healthy to me, and why not, it's like they're staying
at the Park Hilton!

Too bad you can't be in 'ghetto gear' :lol: ;)

5 to 6 thousand, but half of those won't be started till the 1st week of April, fast growers and short gestation period. by then I will have most of the others in the green house.

Just for sh#ts and giggles I should post my set up there, lol think I would get booed out? just goes to show you, just because your grow area might be a tad bit nicer, doesn't make them grow any better.

Hey Jeff,

Becareful with the 400w........with seedlings, I'd stick with the flouros until they're established. Burnt tips can result even with "seasoned" plants if they're not hardened off to the strong light source. Years back I had a couple of 1000 watter's......what did I know?.....the plants looked great after a couple days and I decided to move the lights closer. a few of my plants shriveled up like the legs from the "Wicked Witch of the East"..............ha

How are your plans for the "Pepper Shack"......?

Greg

5 to 6 thousand, but half of those won't be started till the 1st week of April, fast growers and short gestation period. by then I will have most of the others in the green house.

Just for sh#ts and giggles I should post my set up there, lol think I would get booed out? just goes to show you, just because your grow area might be a tad bit nicer, doesn't make them grow any better.
Well, there's only one way to grow on that scale, and you seem to have perfected the method!

I second Greg's comment. I am in the middle of my own little battle with the lights! I have them approximately 3.5 feet above the flat at 350w of power and I can start to see signs of burning. I am waiting for a flouro, but just wanted to say start at about 4' and then move down slowly. I lost my whole first planting to it.

I am sure we will see a sea of green soon, but just wanted to give you my .02

So going through the somewhat new glog section(which I now follow for new thread notification) I find this. A very nice read. Loving the skill as always.

Thanks Brian! I only hope that this is the right move, having second thought, but will fallow through anyway.

Hey Jeff,

Becareful with the 400w........with seedlings, I'd stick with the flouros until they're established. Burnt tips can result even with "seasoned" plants if they're not hardened off to the strong light source. Years back I had a couple of 1000 watter's......what did I know?.....the plants looked great after a couple days and I decided to move the lights closer. a few of my plants shriveled up like the legs from the "Wicked Witch of the East"..............ha

How are your plans for the "Pepper Shack"......?

Greg

I will be-careful I'v been growing with Highbays for 35 years now and this is the first year I'm growing with fluorescents, and have to say, not to impressed. Have no choice with the limited amount of space.

I appreciate your input on the layout, and will keep you up to date on the progress, but I will be framing the inside, with insulation and electrical, covering with OSB,

Thanks

I second Greg's comment. I am in the middle of my own little battle with the lights! I have them approximately 3.5 feet above the flat at 350w of power and I can start to see signs of burning. I am waiting for a flouro, but just wanted to say start at about 4' and then move down slowly. I lost my whole first planting to it.

I am sure we will see a sea of green soon, but just wanted to give you my .02

I know that is heart wrenching when you have to toss the your babies in the trash, it sucks bad!

Your 02 is always welcome, thanks

That is a lot of plants! I am dreading setting setting out my 60. Every time I start to get tired of it...I'm going to take a look at this thread and get back to work. Did you ever figure out what was up with that first batches color?

Shane

Back