• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicy Chicken's MMXII Grow Log (The Hot Spot Pepper Shack)

Hello everyone!

Planting seeds is still a couple of weeks away yet but thought I would start out with an introduction and let you know a little bit about our place we call The Hot Spot or should I say what others call it, I call it a garden. ;)

Here is a little bit about our hobby farm and how we turned what once was an old abandon farm into our favorite place to be.

This is a family oriented hobby farm located in Northeastern Wisconsin. The farm is about elevan acres in size but we are utilizing only a small portion for the garden. Even though our growing time is short we use every day given to produce some of the best peppers in the state.

We have lived here since 2002 and our garden is just a smidge over 1/2 acre. As each year has passed the pepper garden has grown. Our garden for the year of 2010 had just over 1000 pepper seedlings planted, 2011 2000. Although no herbicides, pesticides, or chemical fertilizers are used, we are not organically certified and do not claim to be.

The compost that is integrated into the soil is procured from a large organic dairy farm a few miles from our home. The soil is sifted and mixed with the compost to create raised, plastic mulch covered beds, thus giving us the ability to control soil heat, moisture and weeds. As the plant grows, we denude the early buds, giving plants time to become strong and resilient.

After the first denuding, plants are then allowed to grow into a nice leafy foliage that produces great tasting peppers we are happy to be able to share with others.

From our family to yours, Thank you!

I am in the midst of building a grow room with a second story green house where this year I will be able to start the plants. Some of you may have seen the tread in Grow Tech category, might be interesting if you’re ever bored. http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23974-spicy-chickens-grow-room-and-greenhouse-makeover/f

Worked very hard at it last summer, my wife calls it The Pepper Shack.

A couple of before and after pics.

Greenhouse_Before_After_001.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_002.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_003.jpg
settings.gif

Greenhouse_Before_After_004.jpg

As you can see I have a long way to go, but at least I will be able to start the seeds in there, really looking forward to that.

More to come. thanks for looking! SC

Damn that's a lot of plants! Great job so far man, everything's looking healthy.

Lookin' forward to the next update!
Shane

I found a few hours today to put together some much needed extra space, another couple of hours and should have the temp shelter ready for plants.

It is 11x30 and cost about $130 total and looks like it to. ;O(

2012_Grow_Log_078.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_079.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_080.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_081.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_082.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_083.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_084.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_085.jpg

Thanks for looking. - Jeff

Thanks guys!!

Just thought that I would post some pics of some of the plants in their new temporary home, I can see now that I started some of the plants way to early; stupid!!

2012_Grow_Log_086.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_087.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_088.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_089.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_090.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_091.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_092.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_093.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_094.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_095.jpg

Thanks for stopping by, - Jeff

Spicy... I know I have asked once before but I have to ask again... Please adopt me... I'm potty trained!

Oh and wow.. things are looking fantastic! Started to early or not, those plants will pull through regardless once you get them in ground and let them stretch those roots out. Going to have some beefy plants, I just know it.

-J

Man, a lot has happened since I was here last! Your vegetation
is nothing short of fantastic. All the plants look great, and I bet
those early starters will simply go bananas when you get them planted!

It's lots of fun to watch you develop your grow.

Blah, Blah, Blah * * *insert customary plants look fantastic comment here * * * what I really wanna know is...do you ever sleep? Jeff...you know there are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing! Man you got a lot going on!

The only thing I see that you're coming up short on is updates! This glog is like a pepper reality show! You never know what the hell is about to happen next!

Great job man!
Shane

What an incredible set up. Can't wait to see how large your plants will get in a few months when your weather really starts to warm up. Awesome work!

No updates in a while? Hope all is well in your neck of the woods! Looking forward to pics of what I'm sure is a pepper forest!

No updates in a while? Hope all is well in your neck of the woods! Looking forward to pics of what I'm sure is a pepper forest!

He lost most, if not all his plants. Some to frost and some to wind tearing up his greenhouse.

Very sad

Back