• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicy Chicken's MMXII Grow Log (The Hot Spot Pepper Shack)

Hello everyone!

Planting seeds is still a couple of weeks away yet but thought I would start out with an introduction and let you know a little bit about our place we call The Hot Spot or should I say what others call it, I call it a garden. ;)

Here is a little bit about our hobby farm and how we turned what once was an old abandon farm into our favorite place to be.

This is a family oriented hobby farm located in Northeastern Wisconsin. The farm is about elevan acres in size but we are utilizing only a small portion for the garden. Even though our growing time is short we use every day given to produce some of the best peppers in the state.

We have lived here since 2002 and our garden is just a smidge over 1/2 acre. As each year has passed the pepper garden has grown. Our garden for the year of 2010 had just over 1000 pepper seedlings planted, 2011 2000. Although no herbicides, pesticides, or chemical fertilizers are used, we are not organically certified and do not claim to be.

The compost that is integrated into the soil is procured from a large organic dairy farm a few miles from our home. The soil is sifted and mixed with the compost to create raised, plastic mulch covered beds, thus giving us the ability to control soil heat, moisture and weeds. As the plant grows, we denude the early buds, giving plants time to become strong and resilient.

After the first denuding, plants are then allowed to grow into a nice leafy foliage that produces great tasting peppers we are happy to be able to share with others.

From our family to yours, Thank you!

I am in the midst of building a grow room with a second story green house where this year I will be able to start the plants. Some of you may have seen the tread in Grow Tech category, might be interesting if you’re ever bored. http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23974-spicy-chickens-grow-room-and-greenhouse-makeover/f

Worked very hard at it last summer, my wife calls it The Pepper Shack.

A couple of before and after pics.

Greenhouse_Before_After_001.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_002.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_003.jpg
settings.gif

Greenhouse_Before_After_004.jpg

As you can see I have a long way to go, but at least I will be able to start the seeds in there, really looking forward to that.

More to come. thanks for looking! SC

Haha,
I didn't realise what that was, that makes sense, I've got the grinder on mine but the plunger in made of plastic and feels flimsy to the point of breaking................probably furnished the plastic due to sanitary reasons.............some things aren't made to last anymore...

What's the next size containers that you'll be potting up to?

Greg

Well there is just enough time to post an update, between working on the cellar grow room and taking the wife out for prime-rib; the birthday girl deserves a night out on the town.

The plants are growing a little faster than anticipated, hindsight; should of waited another 3 to 4 weeks, at this rate I will have to re-transplant some. bummer, still 90 days to dirt.

2012_Grow_Log_046.jpg

All of th shelves and light are at maximum capacity, 700 in 3.5x3.5's and 1600 more almost ready, plus there are 600 more on the very top shelf just starting to sprout and have no place to put them.

2012_Grow_Log_047.jpg

Lots of seedling almost ready for transplant.

2012_Grow_Log_048.jpg

Some Purple Bhuts.

2012_Grow_Log_049.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_050.jpg

Any one need a job?

2012_Grow_Log_051.jpg

Thanks for looking! Cheers Jeff

Damn man...I wish I had such troubles! I think I have 120ish plants, and when the daughter's boyfriends parents asked if I could start them a flat the wife blew a gasket with a big fat HELL NO! NOT ONE MORE PEPPER PLANT!!! At least yours are bringing in a little $$$ mine are just taking up an obnoxious amount of time and space (according to her...as far as I'm concerned they all fit just perfectly and the time is well spent).

You keep amazing me with these awe inspiring posts!
Shane

What a set up, looking great. Are the Purple Bhuts stable? Are they Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut Jolokia (?) F5 or something?

Looking amazing Jeff! I can't believe how much they grew so quickly. When do you transplant? Are you a root guy or true leaf guy?

When most people say they don't have enough room, they haven't seen your plants. I think you are worthy of "not enough room syndrome".

Happy birthday to the wife and enjoy the cow!

Haha,
I didn't realise what that was, that makes sense, I've got the grinder on mine but the plunger in made of plastic and feels flimsy to the point of breaking................probably furnished the plastic due to sanitary reasons.............some things aren't made to last anymore...

What's the next size containers that you'll be potting up to?

Greg

Thanks Greg!

Isn’t it a shame that everything is being cheapened up, I remember a article I read a while back, they did bacterial tests in cutting boards – plastic verses wood and found that the natural enzymes in the wood actually killed bacterial growth and overall was more sanitary then plastic, go figure;o)

God I hope I don’t have to re-pot any of these guys, that would be extremely expensive and since I plant in black plastic mulch, the cut hole size would be way bigger than would like. Might have to stunt their growth somehow. lol

Damn man...I wish I had such troubles! I think I have 120ish plants, and when the daughter's boyfriends parents asked if I could start them a flat the wife blew a gasket with a big fat HELL NO! NOT ONE MORE PEPPER PLANT!!! At least yours are bringing in a little $$$ mine are just taking up an obnoxious amount of time and space (according to her...as far as I'm concerned they all fit just perfectly and the time is well spent).

You keep amazing me with these awe inspiring posts!
Shane

Thanks Shane!

They sell bulk rubber gasket kits at “harbor freight” lol 120 plants is a very respectable amount, the average person has no idea the time and effort it can take to just grow 1 awesome plant let alone 120. Sounds like you need a personal grow room of your own outside with a lock and key. ;O)

What a set up, looking great. Are the Purple Bhuts stable? Are they Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut Jolokia (?) F5 or something?

Thanks big guy!

I really cannot answer that question, the seeds came from a generous patron and the label said no more then 2012 purple bhut, so I will grow them out and post pic, maybe then you can tell me.

Looking amazing Jeff! I can't believe how much they grew so quickly. When do you transplant? Are you a root guy or true leaf guy?

When most people say they don't have enough room, they haven't seen your plants. I think you are worthy of "not enough room syndrome".

Happy birthday to the wife and enjoy the cow!

Thanks Matt!

Actually both, I think they run hand in hand but this year I jumped the gun on a number of smaller plants due to the fact of their long roots were growing out of the bottom of the cell, and what a difference that made within just a couple of days.

I did enjoy the cow, and this morning I will be slicing up what’s left with eggs and toast. :O)

Man there is so many grow logs to check out, just pisses me that I can't keep up, lucky to throw in an update of my own now and then. :O(

I had to add 3 more light to the top shelf just to get the last of the supper hots started, no more room for transplanting, but in the next 2 to 3 weeks I have to find time to transplant 2500 that are in the 98 cell units, plus find light for them.
Once that is done then it will be time to start planting all of the short gestation period peppers, like the habs, jalapeños, Serrano's, wax's ect.

2012_Grow_Log_052.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_053.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_054.jpg

Help I'm drowning!

2012_Grow_Log_055.jpg

I have no heater in here any more, just the lights keep this room at 95f, when working in there the door is wide open.

2012_Grow_Log_056.jpg

This dehumidifier pushes out 10 gallons a day, but I just reuse it for watering and works out well.

2012_Grow_Log_057.jpg

Thanks for looking, -Jeff

Freaking amazing as usual! 2500 plants!!! If I lived closer I would help you out...but I don't so have fun with that! :rofl:

I just don't know how you keep track of all that! I mean anyone could take the time to put that many seeds in the ground (nowhere near as efficiently as you though) but to follow through keep up with watering, transplanting, feeding, lights, building them a new house...and a basement...plus hold down a real JOB!!! Pure magic you are working my friend!

Keep us posted!
Shane

Holy cow! That's a lotta peppers!

Say, I might have missed it some where in one of the earlier volumes of this chili pepper encyclopedia, but what's going on in those clear containers on the middle shelf of the first rack? Government experiments?

Jeff, your grow out is simply amazing. I wish I lived near you so I could
help you out and steal some of your knowledge! You have to be close to
3000 seedlings, yes? Not bad for a Cheese head! Go Packers!

Thanks everyone.
Just a few update pics, I need to get that cellar room done and very very very soon. crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012_Grow_Log_062.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_058.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_059.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_060.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_061.jpg

Freaking amazing as usual! 2500 plants!!! If I lived closer I would help you out...but I don't so have fun with that! :rofl:

I just don't know how you keep track of all that! I mean anyone could take the time to put that many seeds in the ground (nowhere near as efficiently as you though) but to follow through keep up with watering, transplanting, feeding, lights, building them a new house...and a basement...plus hold down a real JOB!!! Pure magic you are working my friend!

Keep us posted!
Shane

Thanks Shane, It is a good thing there is 3 of me or It would be tough,

Me takes care of the construction for the babies
Myself takes care of all the plants and
I has to go to work. darn-it.

Holy cow! That's a lotta peppers!

Say, I might have missed it some where in one of the earlier volumes of this chili pepper encyclopedia, but what's going on in those clear containers on the middle shelf of the first rack? Government experiments?

A friend gave me some of the peat pyramids, so I thought I would check em out and so far no germination, junk as far as I'm concerned.

Damn, what an inspirational grow-out. I enjoy reading this. :)

Chris

Thanks Chris.

dehumidifier in the setup. Interesting. Looking good, SC!

Thanks Kiddc, with out it I think the walls would start to mold. LOL

Jeff, your grow out is simply amazing. I wish I lived near you so I could
help you out and steal some of your knowledge! You have to be close to
3000 seedlings, yes? Not bad for a Cheese head! Go Packers!

A few more then that right now but who's counting, I know I don't want to. lol and thanks for the offer,

I love the dehumidifier for pulling water to water them with.

Thanks Jag, There is no water supply out there yet so this saves me a lot of carrying.

Thank you all for stopping by, Cheers - Jeff

Looking great as always. After watching your threads for just a few months I am certain of one thing. You'll find a way to get it done.
Shane

"The Pepper Shack" I love it.

If your good with a router you should make a sign to go above the door with that.

I have really enjoyed watching the build and am looking forward to your getting the second floor done. Great Glog Spicy I always enjoy reading your posts.

RM

Help wanted eh? I am available for adoption. Here's a few resume highlights for ya to think about.

Retired--have own income.
Lots of supervisory skills. I know how to motivate.
Don't smoke cigarettes. :whistle: Drink rarely so great designated driver.
Current member of The Spanky's Woman Hater's Club so the spouse is safe.
Half deaf so do a lot of nodding and smiling, means you're never wrong.
Like to cook and have wicked beef connections.

Your glog is inspiring as always Jeff.

Talk about turnin around! Jeff those things are looking amazing! I am sold on the plastic knives now. I was gonna go with labels and it is pretty tough to see the type when you stick em on the pot. But I have seen a few other growers use the knives, so I think that is the route I am going to go with.

Are you in the process of potting everything up or waiting a bit longer for the rest of them?

Back