• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

STC3248, Just Another Grow Log! Holiday Harvest!

Still waiting on the supers...but the rest are sprouted and under lights. This will be my first attempt at supers. Fingers crossed. I am so lost in the labels. I don't know how some of you keep them all straight??? I know I got most of them right...but had a couple random seeds pop up under the starter pellets...lolEdit: This was my STARTING listJalapenoBlack CobraMucho Nacho JalapenoBellPoblanoCaribbean RedChocolate HabaneroAnaheimCayenneTrinidad ScorpionBhut Jolokia Red/Yellow/Chocolate/White/PurpleFataliPequin ChiapasAmigo Diablo Bombay MorichDorset NagaLg Yellow 7 Pot7 Pot RedDouglahBishops Crownand OrnamentalsHere is the FINAL revised list! lol yeah right! Got some slow movers on here...GREEN: planted last night 3 February...didn't soak, so they may take a bit longer than normalORANGE: Planted 25 JanuaryBLUE: Planted 13 JanuaryBLACK: Planted 5 JanuaryFish 0/2Wild Brazil (Cumari) 0/2Tepin 0/2Aji Omnicolor 0/2Yellow Scotch Bonnet 0/2Goccia d'Oro 0/2Red Lantern Habanero 0/2Brain Strain 0/2Billy Boy Douglah 0/2Peruvian White Bullet Hab 0/2Kaval F-1 0/27 Pot Primo 0/27 Pot Monster Infinity 0/2Devil's Tongue Brown 0/2Bhut Jolokia Orange 0/2Black Naga 1/2Bhut Jolokia Purple 4/4 Bhut Jolokia White 4/4 Bhut Jolokia Red 4/4Bhut Jolokia Yellow 2/4 :whistle:Bhut Jolokia Chocolate 4/4 7 Pot Red 4/4 7 Pot Lg Yellow 4/4 Fatali 4/4 Chocolate Hab 4/4 Bishops Crown 4/4 Pequine 4/4 Trinidad Scorpion 3/4Established Plants:Caribbean Red x5Black Cobra x6Jalapeno x6Mucho Nacho Jalapeno x8Cayenne x6Bell x4Poblano x3Anaheim x3
SD530668.jpg
SD530717.jpg
SD530719.jpg
My 10 year old is responsible for the artwork on the cups!

looking good shane...whats the average germination for the goats weed and manzanos?
Thanks! I got 100% off all the ones I planted. 8 for 8 Goat's Weed and 6 for 6 Manzano. Folks I have sent seeds to also had good %'s with them.

Lookin great Shane! I am pretty jealous of that goat's weed, mine is kinda just...meh....hasn't moved at all. Hopin a spot of good weather will jump start it.

Good luck with your last babies in the ground!

And I am lovin that Lady Bug army!
Thanks! Mine were all rockin! Gave some away and 2 of the plants I told you were having "issues" are Goat's Weeds. I think grubs are getting them. I have 2 more, and looks as though they'll produce more pods than I need. They seem to prefer a little less water than most..
The last of the in-grounds may turn into the second to last. Think I am going to pick up a couple more plants from the nursery this weekend...I think I have a problem. Lady Bugs are rockin! Only put half or so out...will put the rest out this weekend. Found a bunch attempting to make babies after they were released...can't wait to see some larvae chowing on some aphids!

Awesome shane! Im sure your harvest are gonna keep picking up steam over the next few months till you dont even know what to do with them! And that is a huge ladybug army you got goin on! shouldnt take them long to clear that place out!

Hopefully! Tomatoes for sure...probably a dozen ready today, gotta trust the wife and kids to get out and pick them. Supers finally appear to be setting fruit as well, so should start to get fun around here!

Looks great, Shane. Watching paint dry isn't all bad!
Won't be long until you have some Jamie-style harvests!

Thanks Paul...next weekend should be a big harvest for sure. I will be pulling enough Bells and Poblanos to make stuffed peppers/rellenos for dinner Saturday! :dance: More than enough cherry tomatoes for a nice salad and maybe enough green beans for a side as well! :party:

Looks great Shane my supers are taking their sweet time to change and some are hating the heat and are just wilting crazy when I look at my 7 pot chaguanes #2 doing awesome and the other one being a bum. O and I started some new seeds couldn't help it lol.

New seeds!!! hahahaha....'Bout to buy a few more plants myself! I think I would rather be waiting on them to ripen than waiting for fruit to set like me! I ate one of my Cayennes...hotter than yours, but with less sweetness. My cayennes are really being stressed by somethin??? Every thing else in their same bed is kicking-A but they're looking pretty beat up??? Oh well, I still got too much going on!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
Shane

I have a love hate relationship with Cayennes... Early in the season when they are producing pods like crazy I love them... Later in the season, when they seem to be wasting garden space and doing nothing, I hate em.

Last year I got two good harvests out of them, and then come august they just stopped growing, and uglied up. No more pods, nothing. I fixed them with a shovel eventually :K

Do you have any suggestions for the Manzanos? I have orange and yellow... I've read where people say they are a challenge?

Put them in a spot where they get partial sun most of the day. Maybe some direct morning and late evening. They seem to like a little more water than others as well. -f you decide to put them in containers put them in something BIG! My container plant filled its 7 gallon in a little over a month...its in a 15 now, but I probably should have gone bigger. My plan is to build a 15 gallon rootball then put it in the ground for next year. They grow most US sold Manzanos in Mexico, so I know they can handle heat, humidity may be a problem for you. They should overwinter fine in ground for you and reportedly can live up to 15 years and grow 10-12 ft tall! Good luck! Since you come after me in the train...you'll also have reds to grow out!

OK...so I went on walkabout with my laptop to find a wireless signal so I could post an AWESOME pic my wife sent me of the contents of Jamie's latest care package!
120530_00041.jpg

BAM!!! This is waiting for me when I make the drive home this weekend! WOWCH! Gonna be a painfully pleasant weekend!

Since I am posting I thought I might throw out a few that didn't make the cut on Monday!
My 5'5" son measuring up to my tallest cherry tomato...
P1010414.jpg

Hard to tell but there is actually a branch touching his hand, the platform is over 6 ft! My days of buying tomatoes are over for a while!

P1010411.jpg

Here he is standing in one of my patches behind a Bishop's Crown...I made a poor choice of front row plants. The other tall one in front is a Goccia D'Oro The Devil's Tongue Brown to his right, the 7 Pot Primo to his left and the Chocolate Bhut behind the GDO are gonna have a hard time catching the evening rays behind these monsters!

P1010415.jpg

And here he is behind my Black Naga...along with my makeshift planters...

Got a couple infinity pods, Fataliis, Bhuts, a Scorpion...and hopefully some more by the time I get back home! Along with maybe a ripe Wild Brazil! Gave them all some ferts on Saturday, then a compost tea bath/root soak Tuesday morning before I left. Hope to come home to some big changes!

Have a great week, already over half done!
Shane

OK...so I went on walkabout with my laptop to find a wireless signal so I could post an AWESOME pic my wife sent me of the contents of Jamie's latest care package!
120530_00041.jpg

BAM!!! This is waiting for me when I make the drive home this weekend! WOWCH! Gonna be a painfully pleasant weekend!

Since I am posting I thought I might throw out a few that didn't make the cut on Monday!
My 5'5" son measuring up to my tallest cherry tomato...
P1010414.jpg

Hard to tell but there is actually a branch touching his hand, the platform is over 6 ft! My days of buying tomatoes are over for a while!

P1010411.jpg

Here he is standing in one of my patches behind a Bishop's Crown...I made a poor choice of front row plants. The other tall one in front is a Goccia D'Oro The Devil's Tongue Brown to his right, the 7 Pot Primo to his left and the Chocolate Bhut behind the GDO are gonna have a hard time catching the evening rays behind these monsters!

P1010415.jpg

And here he is behind my Black Naga...along with my makeshift planters...

Got a couple infinity pods, Fataliis, Bhuts, a Scorpion...and hopefully some more by the time I get back home! Along with maybe a ripe Wild Brazil! Gave them all some ferts on Saturday, then a compost tea bath/root soak Tuesday morning before I left. Hope to come home to some big changes!

Have a great week, already over half done!
Shane

nice looking babies they will get massive growth after your tea bath and that tomato trellis is just really amazing...and u put a good use of your son for being the ruler for your plants...

I made a poor choice of front row plants.... The Chocolate Bhut behind the GDO are gonna have a hard time catching the evening rays behind these monsters!
I don't think it was necessarily your choice... I have 22 gochu peppers of the same variety planted next to each other, and they vary in size from a foot tall to two foot three at this point. Maybe you could get some of that aluminized mylar wrapping "paper" at the dollar store and mount it on your fence in such a way that it reflects more sun down to the plants in the back. Cheers

Man Shane your plants are off th hizzy!! I smell lots of yummy smoked powder in the near future :fireball:

Glad the package made it in one piece :dance: Hiccupp ;)

Well. Hell-finally made it to "catch up on glogs" time...albeit via tradgically slow internet!I need to get the phone app set up for THP! I have 20 stragglers left to get into ...something!Ran out of dirt before I left, so I'll have to get something ready for next trip in-hopefully the little guys will last til then.Let me know what your Black Nagas look like when they start their podding, the 2 I kept are different looking and I suspect another mismatched label is responsible-one looks very "White Bhutish"- the other I can't say yet.My cousin came by the house and did the initial "ingrounding", and put the cups in ground next to the plants...just not always the correct plants...getting a few(ok, more than a few!) suprises, but I'll deal with it! Just to get the rest of the larger plants into ground , I partially buried the pots, mulched around em, and ran another drip line to water em all.The last day home I had to can 3 "new" sauces I had started, finish the foundation drainage runs, and then dash out to to extend the drip lines....busy day to say the least!
Those cherry tomatoes are lookin stellar!The container idea looks like it is gonna pay off as well....and considering the advance prep, you should come back to some happy plants!

Your plants are looking great, and I love that your son is willing to pose for you. My oldest is waaaay to cool to let me take pictures of him in my garden, unless he was skateboarding through it or something!

Shane where did you get your Infinity seeds from? I would love to see how yours turned out. I got mine from Wouter (Mido) and I am sure that the stability is questionable so it would be great to compare. Make sure you take some sexy snaps of that little beast.

Shane where did you get your Infinity seeds from? I would love to see how yours turned out. I got mine from Wouter (Mido) and I am sure that the stability is questionable so it would be great to compare. Make sure you take some sexy snaps of that little beast.
Your wish is my command! I actually just got done snapping when I read this...infinity pod pics to follow! Mine were from a trade with Dave (gnslngr). Planted 2 only 1 popped. Only had 3 seeds I gave the last one away.

Your plants are looking great, and I love that your son is willing to pose for you. My oldest is waaaay to cool to let me take pictures of him in my garden, unless he was skateboarding through it or something!
Yeah...he's my only helper out there. He just turned 11 so it won't be long before he is too cool as well. My oldest 2 are daughters (14, 16) and they'll have none of it! He really only enjoys the planting and harvesting...everything in between is like pulling teeth. The daily tomato picking is already on his nerves. I will take what I can get though.

Well. Hell-finally made it to "catch up on glogs" time...albeit via tradgically slow internet!I need to get the phone app set up for THP! I have 20 stragglers left to get into ...something!Ran out of dirt before I left, so I'll have to get something ready for next trip in-hopefully the little guys will last til then.Let me know what your Black Nagas look like when they start their podding, the 2 I kept are different looking and I suspect another mismatched label is responsible-one looks very "White Bhutish"- the other I can't say yet.My cousin came by the house and did the initial "ingrounding", and put the cups in ground next to the plants...just not always the correct plants...getting a few(ok, more than a few!) suprises, but I'll deal with it! Just to get the rest of the larger plants into ground , I partially buried the pots, mulched around em, and ran another drip line to water em all.The last day home I had to can 3 "new" sauces I had started, finish the foundation drainage runs, and then dash out to to extend the drip lines....busy day to say the least!
Those cherry tomatoes are lookin stellar!The container idea looks like it is gonna pay off as well....and considering the advance prep, you should come back to some happy plants!
I hear ya on the slow internet...phone isn't much better. Finally going to upgrade to an iphone 4 this weekend so maybe it'll be better. I have 2 black nagas both of which are completely different growth wise. One is one of my largest supers while the other is the smallest. They both sprouted in the same batch, but one looked healthy but stayed stunted and small. I will try to remember to take photos of the two plants for you. The small plant may have a few small pods on it. The flowers have dropped, but if the pods are developing they are doing so very slowly. The larger plant is just starting to open flowers. The cherry tomatoes are really doing well and have an excellent flavor, but you have to leave them on till they're done, then wait another day or two. Harvesting 5-10 a day now off 3 plants, but that # is about to double then triple.

I will keep you posted on the nagas!

Man Shane your plants are off th hizzy!! I smell lots of yummy smoked powder in the near future :fireball:

Glad the package made it in one piece :dance: Hiccupp ;)
Thanks man, they're doing me proud for sure! I have a couple sick ones out there, but for the most part they're looking real good! I smell that powder too...just wish that future was a bit near...er!

I don't think it was necessarily your choice... I have 22 gochu peppers of the same variety planted next to each other, and they vary in size from a foot tall to two foot three at this point. Maybe you could get some of that aluminized mylar wrapping "paper" at the dollar store and mount it on your fence in such a way that it reflects more sun down to the plants in the back. Cheers
I think once the heat starts to set in here they'll be grateful for the afternoon shelter behind the taller (for now) Bishop's Crown and Goccia D'Oro. If they start to struggle I will trim the ones in the front to allow more light through...

shane ./. im off tomorrow...imma ran sack them peppers from jamie!! nice looking plants.. wish i could get mine that big...
Sorry man...they're on lockdown, and my killer attack dogs would eat you alive! Plus I saw how you handled that poor little hybrid bhut...you don't want any of this! :flamethrower: :fire: :mouthonfire: :fire: :rofl:

P1010418.jpg

Billy Boy Douglah x2! (seed train 2012)

P1010420.jpg

Devils Tongue Brown...(gnslngr)

P1010421.jpg

7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)

P1010422.jpg

another 7 Pot Monster Infinity

P1010423.jpg

Trinidad Scorpions (griff) Still with their skirts on...trying to test AJ's theory that leaving them in tact makes the tails turn out better!

P1010424.jpg

couple Purple Bhuts (smokinasschili) Another one that is setting on every flower...probably a dozen babies on this one plant! Pics should be really cool over the next few weeks!

P1010425.jpg

Couple little Bhuts (griff)! The bigger one set on one of the flowers that were fused, the other side didn't set. :mope:

Many more little ones out there, Will post more pics later...also be looking for some pod reviews on the package from hell Jamie sent!

Thanks for stopping by!
Shane

Just ate my first manzano pepper and I can now see what all the hype is about. Great taste and nice heat. I have tried both the red and yellow fresh and now I will have them for dinner brotha. Chopped em up with some taters and garnishes and I am about to get busy. Thank you Shane! They are grilled to perfection.

STA_3539.jpg

Thought I hit the post button, but maybe not... Hey Shane, how's your Pequin doing? I got some seeds in a swap this winter and started a few. Only one hooked, and I didn't have any room for it in my garden, so I gave it to a neighbor. Neither of us has grown this variety and we'd appreciate a picture of one that's happy. Cheers

Just ate my first manzano pepper and I can now see what all the hype is about. Great taste and nice heat. I have tried both the red and yellow fresh and now I will have them for dinner brotha. Chopped em up with some taters and garnishes and I am about to get busy. Thank you Shane! They are grilled to perfection.
Looks yummy! I am headed to the farmer's market in a bit to see if they have any today!

Great pics Shane! That Infinity definitely looks like a monster and that Purple Bhut is really impressive.
Tried some CSI about the "Monster" part of the name, but came up empty. gnslngr got them in a trade himself and they were labeled Monster Infinity when he got them. So not sure it "monster" is a strain or if the seeds were just harvested from a monster pod? All that aside, that plant will be a monster when it comes to production! Damn near every one of its first flowers are setting pods!!! It will be loaded down in short order!

Thought I hit the post button, but maybe not... Hey Shane, how's your Pequin doing? I got some seeds in a swap this winter and started a few. Only one hooked, and I didn't have any room for it in my garden, so I gave it to a neighbor. Neither of us has grown this variety and we'd appreciate a picture of one that's happy. Cheers
My pequins were labeled "Pequin Chiapas" and I received them from Griff in my first trade on THP! They were superstars in the hot house...but when planted out they stalled for a bit. Starting to pick up some steam now that things are heating up! I had one pod set before I put them out, and then they dropped everything else and continued the bud, flower...drop routine until last week. They're now just starting to pod up. My tepins are sort of the same story, however one plant did put some pods on and they've been on there a LONG time. The other plant waited and grew instead of podding and is now just starting to set some pods (a lot of pods!) Still a ways out from regular harvests, but I figure by the end of June I will be pulling a handful a day...hopefully. Here are some pics, still early and the marine layer is in, so lighting wasn't great.
P1010426.jpg

Pequin Chiapas #1 (Griff) in one of my converted military containers...Harvested one pod off this guy last weekend...which means its probably 6 pages back :rofl: ...

P1010432.jpg

Pequin Chiapas #2 beside a Chocolate Habanero (Griff)...this guy really stalled out and caught some sort of funk after plant out, but the past couple weeks he's started to figure things out and is really going nuts! Not too impressive from this angle, but...

P1010431.jpg

from the top down you can get a sense of the sprawl...that is a 5# container so 10" diameter guessing the plant is in the order of 2ft at its widest and getting wider every day! Hard to tell against the white pool deck, but there are literally hundreds of flowers and small pods on this guy. Will try to capture some in a future update.

Here are the tepins (seed train 2012) same story with these guys...can really tell they're a HOT weather pepper. Could hardly kill them in South Texas even when the temps were in the 105-110 degree range and dry...so I am certain they really hated the cool California nights we had.
P1010427.jpg

Tepin #1 was my biggest at plant out, but stalled and got the funk as well...but it did put on some MONSTER Tepin pods! :liar:

P1010429.jpg

Here is one of those "monsters" :rofl: This guy has maybe a dozen pods on it about this size...this is as big as they'll get. Hoping this one will ripen soon, it set about a month ago...or more!

P1010430.jpg

This in my other Tepin, its sandwiched between a Wild Brazil on the left, a Aji Omnicolor on the right and a Goat's Weed behind in one of my military containers. Trying to train it to cascade down the front of the box. Looks like it might work. If you look closely you will see all the brown faded flowers, each of which has a tiny pod behind it...dozens of little pods on this one, but a long way from a harvest.

Had to throw in at least one Super with this post so here goes!
P1010434.jpg

7 Pot podding up! :party:

Thanks for checking in guys...my usual onslaught of weekend updates to follow!
Shane

Edit...adding the harvest shots here!
So I have been waiting for ages for my largest bell to show some color, still believe it would ripen yellow, but the plant was loading up for a big round of pods and I wanted stuffed peppers for dinner...same story with the purple bell. The Poblanos are still trying to put on a ton of pods so I figured I would give them a little boost by harvesting a few as well...here they are along with the rest of today's harvest!
P1010442.jpg

some small Jals, Cayenne, Thai ornamental and Cherry tomatoes!

And for a better reference...
P1010443.jpg

My 16yo with the Bells...

P1010444.jpg

and my 11yo with the Poblanos...they would have probably grown a bit more, but I got plenty more where they came from!

More to follow!

So I went back to the nursery after Manzano plants...browsed through their selection...WOW! Great varieties, all the supers looked pretty terrible though. Some of their plants looked great!
P1010435.jpg

Most of their chinenses looked terrible like the one labeled "Burning Bush" on the left...but the Black Cobras (similar to Goat's Weed) in the center look plenty happy!
P1010436.jpg

Here is their Super shelf...7 Jonah, 7 Douglah, 7 Barrackpore, Yellow 7, Choco Bhut, Bhut, Devil's Tongue, Black Naga, Scotch Bonnet...and many more plus some I never heard of like "Black Stinger"??? Any of you San Diego area growers that are looking for a couple varieties that you didn't start PM me and I'll supply the name of the nursery and let you know if I remember seeing what you're looking for.

P1010437.jpg

Here's what I left with...2.0cf of Happy Frog (never tried it) some perlite, 3 Manzano plants, Aji Panca (chinense) in the orange pot and the best looking (still terrible) Barrackpore they had.
P1010440.jpg

Decided to do one last soil test this season...so many folks give rave reviews of Happy Frog I decided to give it a try. So all the new plants went in it except one of the Manzanos. So we'll be able to watch the 3 Manzanos(far right is in MG) and get an idea of which they like best. I bought the perlite thinking I might need to amend it...but there was a ton in there, so I used it and the MG straight out of the bag...we shall see! Whichever of the 3 does best will end up with the last in ground spot I have...probably won't be for at least 6 weeks.

P1010439.jpg

In buying these I also got my very first Manzano pod...on the worst looking plant!

P1010445.jpg

Here they are nestled up against big brother...the one on the far left is the one with a little pod on it...none on my big plant!

P1010446.jpg

Another shot for comparison...Wonder if the HF will have an impact on pod set??? Also sneaking into the pic are a White bhut to the right of them and a Douglah to the left...

P1010441.jpg

All 5 plants, soil and perlite out the door for $35 not bad! I did get $5 off for my membership points...PLUS this little guy was a bonus sprout that was springing out from the base of one of the big plants...pulled it like a weed and stuck it in some HF and gave it a drink...He'll get a nice shady spot for about a week to see if he wants to join team stc!

Ok...now lets see if it let me edit the previous and post this too!!!

Have a great weekend folks!
Shane

Edit...rather than take the top of my own page I'll post my bonus harvest pic here! I had my first pepper dinner which I posted here:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/17459-blues-booze-bbq/page__st__260

In there you'll see that I decided to pull a few of these...
P1010453.jpg

Thought they were "Early Scotch Bonnets" which are an annuum as these are...but these are NOT mild and have a chinense flavor. So now I am leaning toward cross! There is a cross section pic over there as well. I pulled them early because I expected the flavor of a small bell pepper, but what I got was the flavor of a Habanero (not quite as chinensy) with the heat of a Cayenne! I was originally bummed about these guys when they didn't grow up to be traditional Jamaican Scotch Bonnets...but now I am really excited! Each plant is LOADED with pods (30+). I will have to let them ripen to see how hot these little guys can get! Perfect flavor as well the not too overpowering like a hab...if they keep pumping out pods like this I'll be able to share a TON of seeds! Thin walled so its going to make a great powder too!!!

Looking good. I was about to buy some HF last time I was at the nursery, but I resorted back to my Fox Farms OF at the last minute. I had to pot up my tepin and Trinidad Congo that didn't make it to the ground durring plant out. My manzanos has already started budding before plant out but to my sadness they all dropped. I've yet to have a flower on it yet. Well back to the grill and some more photo taking of my plants. Take care.

Awesome that your supers are starting to pod up. Can't wait to see them get bigger. Gonna have to take a look at mine in the morning to see how they are doing. I just got home from a brewing event with the club I'm in which basically was all day. :drunk: Maybe some of my overwinters are setting. :pray:

Back