• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

STC3248, Just Another Grow Log! Holiday Harvest!

Still waiting on the supers...but the rest are sprouted and under lights. This will be my first attempt at supers. Fingers crossed. I am so lost in the labels. I don't know how some of you keep them all straight??? I know I got most of them right...but had a couple random seeds pop up under the starter pellets...lolEdit: This was my STARTING listJalapenoBlack CobraMucho Nacho JalapenoBellPoblanoCaribbean RedChocolate HabaneroAnaheimCayenneTrinidad ScorpionBhut Jolokia Red/Yellow/Chocolate/White/PurpleFataliPequin ChiapasAmigo Diablo Bombay MorichDorset NagaLg Yellow 7 Pot7 Pot RedDouglahBishops Crownand OrnamentalsHere is the FINAL revised list! lol yeah right! Got some slow movers on here...GREEN: planted last night 3 February...didn't soak, so they may take a bit longer than normalORANGE: Planted 25 JanuaryBLUE: Planted 13 JanuaryBLACK: Planted 5 JanuaryFish 0/2Wild Brazil (Cumari) 0/2Tepin 0/2Aji Omnicolor 0/2Yellow Scotch Bonnet 0/2Goccia d'Oro 0/2Red Lantern Habanero 0/2Brain Strain 0/2Billy Boy Douglah 0/2Peruvian White Bullet Hab 0/2Kaval F-1 0/27 Pot Primo 0/27 Pot Monster Infinity 0/2Devil's Tongue Brown 0/2Bhut Jolokia Orange 0/2Black Naga 1/2Bhut Jolokia Purple 4/4 Bhut Jolokia White 4/4 Bhut Jolokia Red 4/4Bhut Jolokia Yellow 2/4 :whistle:Bhut Jolokia Chocolate 4/4 7 Pot Red 4/4 7 Pot Lg Yellow 4/4 Fatali 4/4 Chocolate Hab 4/4 Bishops Crown 4/4 Pequine 4/4 Trinidad Scorpion 3/4Established Plants:Caribbean Red x5Black Cobra x6Jalapeno x6Mucho Nacho Jalapeno x8Cayenne x6Bell x4Poblano x3Anaheim x3
SD530668.jpg
SD530717.jpg
SD530719.jpg
My 10 year old is responsible for the artwork on the cups!

Won't be back on in a while...found a sick Fatalii yesterday inground...carefully dug it up rinsed it and put it in a 2 gallon container with some good soil. Noticed a few others looking not so good. Went back out this afternoon to find one of my container plants (Wild Brazil) hit too dropping all its leaves. Started looking around and found 8 more inground plants in several areas hit dropping all their leaves and severely wilted. The leaves all have a mottled yellow look . Mostly annuum...but one white hab as well. I pulled them all and threw them away. Don't know what it is, or which plants are resistant, but I guess the next couple days will tell. Here are a couple pics of the Fatalii before I dug it up...
P1010467.jpg

P1010468.jpg

P1010469.jpg

Was hoping it was soil bound and localized...apparently not and its moving really fast. Don't know what to do besides watch and wait at this point...first time I am not so happy to be starting a new page...

As fast as you said it spread, insect borne sounds logical. I'll keep an eye on your methods for dealing with the problem if you don't mind... it's all grist for the mill and I think we can all learn from it. Emotionally though, I'm sorry as $%@* it happened to you, and wish you luck!

Yeah, that does suck, sorry to hear it. I hope you get it figured out and under control. I wish I could tell what it was to help you.

Damn Shane that sucks about your plants. I've seen something like this before on a plant I had a couple of years ago, I never figured out what it was. The plant survived for the most part and even produced, just stunted in grown. Keep us posted on how they are doing.

Man, if Pulpiteer can't get in a good word for you, I don't know
who can! I hope you can figure this out; it pains me to see a
good grow gone wrong. You deserve better, my man. I hope
the damage is restricted to the plants you already dealt with. This
whole thing is scary as all get out!

Thanks everyone...nothing looking sick today. Well be watching them with a close eye for the next week or two. Bummed about loosing a few plants, but if it keeps the rest of the grow on track so be it! Most of what was lost were dupes or unimpressive anyway. The only one I tried to save was the Fatalii...

Was sooo bummed I decided to try to snap out of it the only way I know how. Straight for Jamie's care package! I went right to the heart of the matter with the super wicked Barrackpore...The last one I ate was about the size of a fingernail and was pretty bad. This one was the size of the whole finger! My 11yo was doing the filming (his first attempt) so a little shaky, but I think he did a pretty good job!
I misspoke at one point in the video in the small area with the fish pepper. I said that the two in the back were fish, they were actually Goat's Weeds, was no longer thinking clearly at that point! The pepper had a soapy flavor again, even without the blue moon...I still don't have my sense of taste back. This pod was hotter than either of the brains, or anything else, I have eaten thus far.

Thanks again for the well wishes. Hopefully this thing is behind me and I am rockin again.
Shane

Sorry to hear about the issues, but hopefully that's the end of it... my Fatalii was dealing with something similar last year, it never produced much so it's probably for the best to get rid of the problem plants. Your video reminded me of the oldspice commercials... "look over there, now back at me."

:lol:
Here's to the rest of your season going a bit smoother. :drunk:

Sorry to hear about the issues, but hopefully that's the end of it... my Fatalii was dealing with something similar last year, it never produced much so it's probably for the best to get rid of the problem plants. Your video reminded me of the oldspice commercials... "look over there, now back at me."

Haha that was my favorite part of the video too. The direction. look over there. now at me. dont look at me. ah man i dont know how you keep from panicking. Awesome vid and hope things go back to your normal awesomeness.

Thinking back... you didn't seem to have any problems with the chiles you grew from seed, it wasn't until you got that last batch of plants from the nursery that the problems started. I wonder if you got some plants that had infected mites on them? If so, maybe a future step before planting would be close inspection for pests and/or dipping them before planting out or putting them together with the rest of your herd...
Not the word from on high, but just throwing it out for discussion...

I missed a bunch of your glog apparently Shane. Everything was looking great, plants producing pods and/or flowering. The bells are nice and HUGE!
Hope the plants effected didn't effect others. Good luck man!

Aaron

Thinking back... you didn't seem to have any problems with the chiles you grew from seed, it wasn't until you got that last batch of plants from the nursery that the problems started. I wonder if you got some plants that had infected mites on them? If so, maybe a future step before planting would be close inspection for pests and/or dipping them before planting out or putting them together with the rest of your herd...
The plants had already begun getting sick before I brought those home, so unfortunately I can't point at the evil nursery! However my neighbors on either side have been putting in their gardens so it very well may have been something they put in. The good and bad news is I don't believe it was in the soil. Good in the sense that if I decide to plant some annuums in the voids I don't believe they'll get sick, but bad since there is no telling where it might strike next.

Look at your man...now back at me...now back at your man...NOW BACK AT ME! Sadly your man is not me! hahahahahaha

Haha that was my favorite part of the video too. The direction. look over there. now at me. dont look at me. ah man i dont know how you keep from panicking. Awesome vid and hope things go back to your normal awesomeness.
Think its still on track...my poor son needs some lessons, but I'm glad he shared that with me and played the role of film crew. He's always trying to get into my vids in one way or another. If you watch closely you can see his shadow making funny moves against the fence just before I ate the pepper. Didn't notice it at first, but got a good chuckle when i did.

I missed a bunch of your glog apparently Shane. Everything was looking great, plants producing pods and/or flowering. The bells are nice and HUGE!
Hope the plants effected didn't effect others. Good luck man!

Aaron
Thanks man...my bells started off rough, but are now some of my best looking plants and loaded down with the next round of pods. Hope they all grow nice and big as well. The first round they were able to focus all their energy on just a couple pods, hopefully having 10-15 each they are still able to maintain that size.

Thanks for your concern everyone, hope its all behind me!
Shane

Shane. That really sucks about your sick plants. I have issues with plants I just don't tell anybody about them. You did the right thing pulling them. I have no idea what caused it. But you better not leave us. Not even for a day. We need you.

That video had me laughing my ass off :rofl: . I knew that pepper was gonna be hot but had no idea it was deadly :hell: That pod just had your name written all over it. I have about 15 more pods on the planet slowly ripening.But none of them as big or scary looking as the one you ate. You are a beast. Keep your mailbox open ;)

I will warn you though. If you send me some of those infinities I will grind them into a fine powder and enjoy. Hang in there brotha and keep growing :dance:

I'm beginning to think that is always good advice. Sometimes I don't
inspect very carefully, but I am going to from now on when I buy a plant,
or my wife brings one home. You guys are scarin' me to death. Stc to
the South and Big Cedar to the North. I feel trapped!

Sorry to read about the sick plants Shane, hope it doesn't continue to spread! Everything else is looking amazing, plants are very healthy. Oh and you have me scared of that Barrackpore now, I have an in ground plant that is just starting to set pods. You are a CHAMP for handling that pod! lol

Now whenever I buy plants from a nursery, I like to keep them in solitary confinement for about a week before planting them just to see if anything rears its head. Last year I had some leaf spot issues that started from one of my Hirts peppers and spread to the entire garden, most of the plants completely defoliated and set me back about a month. It was certainly a learning experience...

Now whenever I buy plants from a nursery, I like to keep them in solitary confinement for about a week before planting them just to see if anything rears its head. Last year I had some leaf spot issues that started from one of my Hirts peppers and spread to the entire garden, most of the plants completely defoliated and set me back about a month. It was certainly a learning experience...
Sage advice, to be sure. I've been lucky so far, I guess. Forewarned is forearmed!
You (Last year), Shane and Brandon have paid the price for our education! Hope to see nothing
but good news from now on!

My favorite part was when the heat really kicked in and all you could say was "here" "now here." I loved it. :rofl: and I know how that feels. It's weird how you can't think because it's so hot. Glad you didn't give up the THP, would've missed your posts!

Yeah, but unfortunately the problem wasn't the nursery bought plants. I had noticed it before I bought them and I do put the new plants in quarantine for a week. They're still sitting on their own on the back porch. Whatever this was really started a week before I pulled them, maybe longer. I thought the Cayenne's were just fading, but in reality they were sick. May have all started with one of my overwinter Goat's Weeds. I won't overwinter annuums on purpose any more with the exception of maybe the tepins and pequins which should be able to overwinter without much or any help here.

Shane. That really sucks about your sick plants. I have issues with plants I just don't tell anybody about them. You did the right thing pulling them. I have no idea what caused it. But you better not leave us. Not even for a day. We need you.

That video had me laughing my ass off :rofl: . I knew that pepper was gonna be hot but had no idea it was deadly :hell: That pod just had your name written all over it. I have about 15 more pods on the planet slowly ripening.But none of them as big or scary looking as the one you ate. You are a beast. Keep your mailbox open ;)

I will warn you though. If you send me some of those infinities I will grind them into a fine powder and enjoy. Hang in there brotha and keep growing :dance:
Don't like to show only the good. I think we all learn more from the disaster recoveries! That pod was absolutely ridiculous! Made the Brainstrains look like Cayennes. I actually ended up with extreme stomach issues the next couple hours. Ate some tums and started to feel better, but my sense of taste is still off! Was a WILD ride for sure!

Sorry to read about the sick plants Shane, hope it doesn't continue to spread! Everything else is looking amazing, plants are very healthy. Oh and you have me scared of that Barrackpore now, I have an in ground plant that is just starting to set pods. You are a CHAMP for handling that pod! lol
Looks to be contained...but who knows??? Just have to keep an eye on everything. Didn't feel like a champ, I have said before...there is no way to eat one of those and look "cool" most brutal thing is knowing that the only thing that will cure it is time.

I do the same...I had leaf spot earlier this season too. Luckily it only really affected a few plants. The Wild Brazils and the Aji Omnicolors were hit hardest. The Pequins also dropped a few leaves. That was before I had purchased any plants too. So it came from somewhere else. I think maybe some of my shrubs???

My favorite part was when the heat really kicked in and all you could say was "here" "now here." I loved it. :rofl: and I know how that feels. It's weird how you can't think because it's so hot. Glad you didn't give up the THP, would've missed your posts!
My boy was new to the filming thing as is painfully evident in the video, but he really got a kick out of it. He was also running around the house as I was doubled over with stomach pain an hour later trying to find the tums for me! He's my little champ. My older daughters would have just laughed and asked for the keys to the car.

Well I am definitely in better spirits. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement for my update addiction. I never had the intention of leaving for good, but at that moment I felt I needed a break. Really disgusted, sure they're just plants, but the effort required to get to this point as you all know makes them more. Made me just as sick to my stomach to think about losing them all as the Barrackpore did!

So I went out there with a bright side attitude and took a few snaps...
P1010485.jpg

Every bloom setting on the Purple Bhut! Amazing plant...

P1010486.jpg

Some more on the same plant...Plant is going to be awesome in a couple weeks!

P1010493.jpg

Aji Omnicolor loading up! Both plants covered in pods and starting to finally show a little color. What color means ripe on these?

P1010490.jpg

Pequin is almost certainly a cross of some sort...regardless, this plant has maybe 70 little pods on it and about 150 more flowers. Crazy!!!

P1010489.jpg

Couple pods on the Billy Boy Douglah...

P1010488.jpg

Some Monster Infinities...one with a little tail going!

P1010487.jpg

Couple more on the same plant. Another one that is setting on almost every bloom...Loving this plant!

Thanks again for the concern and for looking in, keep your fingers crossed that I got this thing licked.

Shane

Back