• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting Stem burying technique for chilis to improve overall grow/harvest in the end of the season

PtMD989 said:
What rooting hormone do you use? What’s your system for success?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I start my seeds early and I dont use any hormones or such, maybe i just become pretty good in time in the things i want to be good at...Practice makes perfect and a lot a of research/testing on top of that...Oh and i am a gardener also so it it is pretty natural for me to try growing chilis at the best of my abilities.

I think the huge part of the success is using rainwater, coco coir and those air-pots. Air-pots may be expensive, but they are well worth the cost in the end of the season.

Also if you have a very long season, it is very worthy to top the chilis when they are young.

IMG_20180302_190339_1.jpg

If your eyes are not too bad, you should notice that there is something slighly different between this before and after picture with the same Aji golden i showed you before.

If you dont notice any difference, i am going to give you a major hint using this Aji pineapple:

You see those nice white bumps forming along the stem...Now think about how much roots the chili could form, if you use a pot that is very deep and just keep burying the stem as you transplant the chili to a slighly bigger pots along the way until the growing season starts in the spring.

YAMracer754 said:
Hahaha hey do what you do brother!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

The first week is for free, but after that i will have to charge you a 10$/hour for the personal session just like the Americans would do in my situation. :shh: :P....I think not!

Chilidude said:

The first week is for free, but after that i will have to charge you a 10$/hour for the personal session just like the Americans would do in my situation. :shh: :P....I think not!
Hahahaha right

Chilidude said:

For everybody of course, when the nukes starts to fly!
If I could only do the nuclear bomb drills that we did in elementary school.
Nope
I’m too old and fat to sit with my face in my lap.
I’m f**ked[emoji33]

PtMD989 said:
If I could only do the nuclear bomb drills that we did in elementary school.
Nope
I’m too old and fat to sit with my face in my lap.
I’m f**ked[emoji33]

Haha I saw that on the history Channel once-did they actually call it " duck and cover"? Like that would save anyone!? Lol

One very important thing i forgot to mention:
I string my chilis up in similar fashion like you see in this video. If i dont do it this way you can forget about going inside the greenhouse in the later season, as chili plants can grow so massive that you have to support then to maximize harvest and light coming to the lower leaves.

And the good part too is, that you can play the harp with the strings in your favorite tune to pollunate the chilis like in the video. :rolleyes:

Allright. Now you fellas please tell me how deep I can bury these stems this weekend. They are indeterminate so I know they aren't going to be the prettiest things, but I'd like to bury them at least a little to have them not flop over until I get a trellis or somesuch to support them. I'm a total newb with maters so keep that in mind.
20180321_184204_zpsgjlwudui.jpg

20180321_184158_zpsmnzd28ji.jpg

20180321_184219_zpseuc6bq0u.jpg

Chilidude said:
These pictures are from 2013 using just regular peat as a growing medium:

Using coco coir as a growing medium in those air-pots is far superior compared to the regular peat.

Nice!  Chilidude, may I assume you are irrigating?  I have some of those weird pots and always thought they were for hydro, as that's where I found mine, but used dirt in them anyway.

Nancy

nmlarson said:

Nice!  Chilidude, may I assume you are irrigating?  I have some of those weird pots and always thought they were for hydro, as that's where I found mine, but used dirt in them anyway.

Nancy

I hand water them.

I would trench plant those, instead of deep burying. Those are massive, planting deep would put the root ball further down where soil temps are cooler. Trench planting keeps the root ball somewhat closer to the surface (warmth) and still allows roots to form along the stem. Starting from the bottom remove at least three of those branches, possibly 4, and plant horizontally in trench with all but the growth tip and maybe a few inches above the surface. you can use cardboard pieces to help keep the tips standing up, but they will straighten on there own as they adjust and start growing to the sun.

http://www.kdcomm.net/~tomato/graphics3/trenchplant.jpg

trenchplant.jpg

Chewi said:
Allright. Now you fellas please tell me how deep I can bury these stems this weekend. They are indeterminate so I know they aren't going to be the prettiest things, but I'd like to bury them at least a little to have them not flop over until I get a trellis or somesuch to support them. I'm a total newb with maters so keep that in mind.
20180321_184204_zpsgjlwudui.jpg

20180321_184158_zpsmnzd28ji.jpg

20180321_184219_zpseuc6bq0u.jpg

NorCaliente916 said:
I would trench plant those, instead of deep burying. Those are massive, planting deep would put the root ball further down where soil temps are cooler. Trench planting keeps the root ball somewhat closer to the surface (warmth) and still allows roots to form along the stem. Starting from the bottom remove at least three of those branches, possibly 4, and plant horizontally in trench with all but the growth tip and maybe a few inches above the surface. you can use cardboard pieces to help keep the tips standing up, but they will straighten on there own as they adjust and start growing to the sun.

http://www.kdcomm.net/~tomato/graphics3/trenchplant.jpg

trenchplant.jpg

Thanks for the idea and the pic! Hadn't thought of that. These are going in pots so that might be a challenge. Good to know the stem is fine to go in ground though!

How does the bottom come about being made for DIY airpot? I looked at the price of the 10 liter air pots and hold my God they are very expensive more than I ever even thought, so I'm sure the do-it-yourself is my type of way since I'm always on that cheap cuz I don't have the dough LOL

Regards,
-Tristan

Back