• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting Stem burying technique for chilis to improve overall grow/harvest in the end of the season

YAMracer754 said:
How does the bottom come about being made for DIY airpot? I looked at the price of the 10 liter air pots and hold my God they are very expensive more than I ever even thought, so I'm sure the do-it-yourself is my type of way since I'm always on that cheap cuz I don't have the dough LOL

Regards,
-Tristan

https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-Ultra-Gallon-Air-Pruning-Planter/dp/B01BFJFBGM/ref

Why not just get one of the many Air-pot China copies that are out there, these are about 10 litre ones if the bottom section is rised.

YAMracer754 said:
Do I need any amendments like azomite or castings or anything or am I good?

Regards,
-Tristan

Never have used anything like that, just pure coco coir in all seasons with hydroponic nutes.

I checked those China made air -pruning pot pictures and only problem i see in those pictures is with the top watering. The first two rows of the top holes should be be plugged with some silicon or something, but that is really easy job to fix considering the price, that they ask.

Chilidude said:

Never have used anything like that, just pure coco coir in all seasons with hydroponic nutes.

I checked those China made air -pruning pot pictures and only problem i see in those pictures is with the top watering. The first two rows of the top holes should be be plugged with some silicon or something, but that is really easy job to fix considering the price, that they ask.
Plastic epoxy FTW!

Regards,
-Tristan

YAMracer754 said:
Plastic epoxy FTW!

Regards,
-Tristan

Those ones are kind of different compared to my original air-pots, that have more height than length.

China made:

Pot dimensions (max): 13" diameter x 8" high

Judging from those dimensions, you might not even need to plug the first two rows if you top water them near the stems like i do.

Chilidude said:

Those ones are kind of different compared to my original air-pots, that have more height than length.

China made:

Pot dimensions (max): 13" diameter x 8" high

Judging from those dimensions, you might not even need to plug the first two rows if you top water them near the stems like i do.
I wonder if there's a way I can find the bottom piece so I can make those do-it-yourself ones and save some cash

Regards,
-Tristan

Chilidude said:
Why not just buy some plastic duct end caps to use as a bottom piece.

Good idea!!

YAMracer754 said:
I wonder if there's a way I can find the bottom piece so I can make those do-it-yourself ones and save some cash

Regards,
-Tristan

I bought a 3 gallon a few years ago, the real deal and it was expensive. So cool to see the root ball at the end of the year. Massive! DIY with those end caps is awesome.

Chewi said:

Good idea!!

I bought a 3 gallon a few years ago, the real deal and it was expensive. So cool to see the root ball at the end of the year. Massive! DIY with those end caps is awesome.
Definitely interested! I wonder if I can get the material at Lowes (I hate that store and their prices as that's all that I got here locally or maybe a bldg supply store-or Amazon? Sounds like the gig if you're trying to keep costs down but still get the performance!! I'm sure the plants would be thanking me for it!

Regards,
-Tristan

Chilidude said:

That is not my video, but i know how thin that construction material normally is because i have seen/touched it many times before and the normal stuff is too thin to actually make sturdy pots with one layer alone.

look for Floradrain® FD 40 or FD 25 made by ZinCo Benelux
perennial-garden-green-roof-ZinCo-PLA858-4-600x400.jpg

So, say I had an untopped plant with around 2 feet of woody stem before the split. Assuming I had a deep enough pot to plant it a decent ways down, should I do anything like nick or scrape any of the stem before planting?

AndyW said:
So, say I had an untopped plant with around 2 feet of woody stem before the split. Assuming I had a deep enough pot to plant it a decent ways down, should I do anything like nick or scrape any of the stem before planting?

Some fellow said in this topic earlier, that he put some nicks in the stem and rubbed some rooting hormone in there.

To make this thing work like it should, you have to keep center watering around the stem:

Keep the center moist and the edges of the pot dry.

floricole said:

look for Floradrain® FD 40 or FD 25 made by ZinCo Benelux
perennial-garden-green-roof-ZinCo-PLA858-4-600x400.jpg

That stuff would actually work for some DIY air-pots, but you might want to cut or melt the lower top parts of the outside facing spikes open and leave two rows of the upper part intact. You could probably fashion the bottom part too out of this stuff and keep it in place with few plastic ties.

Back