• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stetto's First Winter Grow ('16-'17)

Well, here we gro, October 14 and the setup has begun.

14681754_179490489166911_3328693517186987941_n.jpg

My heat mat is unregulated, no thermostat, but measures (without sunlight) @ 87.5F. As can be seen, the 20+ inch deep mat is folded up at the window sill, which should help in deflecting any winter chill getting through the glass. This window will one day be a garden window extending around 9 inches out from the house, to facilitate all manner of horticultural misdeeds...But that's another story...

The lil' ziplock box in the photo is the start of my winter experiment, some Trinidad Moruga Scorpion seed obtained through the good graces of Jeff Contonio. My other seed is in transit from Australia:

Aji Amarillo

Jalapeno Tormenta

Bert the Chilli

I've been trying to grow Aji Amarillo for some years but have never been able to get seed to germinate. I've blamed the seed (innocuous Amazon purchases) up till now, but I have a lot more faith this time around since finding a reputable vendor. Note that only one superhot is being planted----For now.

After germination I intend on sowing into Solo cups (I've heard a wive's tale that you use the red ones for more than just the song), and eventually into 1.5 gallon pots. Even though I brag about the growing strength of the local soil (primordial ooze), I think I'll either hybrid it with non-soil potting mix or not use dirt from the garden at all.

I expect to do quite a bit of pruning, hopefully to encourage bushyness and to promote production in smaller accomodations. I'm sure I can find plety of input on that subject in these pages...

This is my first inside grow, let's see what happens. Any advice/pointers/warnings/pokes/prods/words of encouragement are welcome....But ya doesn't has to call me Johnson....

Devv said:
keep it going!

Hey Scott, every day brings me another, or two. A couple Large Orange Thais popped over night, I'm pretty stoked!

OCD Chilehead said:
Congrats on the hooks.

Thanks Chuck, my first year with all these varieties is really exciting! I got some black seeds from Malarky that I can't wait to see pop, the roco's intrigue me since I saw a GIP thread on stuffed reds.

Geonerd and I are discussing the merits of me being north of any sane reason to grow chiles without a big-ass growroom on the backchannel, I've just about got him talked into growing all my peppers for me..... :liar:high:

I mustn't leave out my aji Amarillo progress. There is, believe it or not, NO progress still in the plants down in the grow room. It has to be a combination of the lighting, the temp and the amount of water those critters are getting to keep them in stasus. When I brought the aji lemon drop up it took about a week to shake it off and get going, I'm hoping for similar from the bevy of Amarillo beauts still downstairs.

The ajis getting sun, however, continue to flower and pod up. A question to the Amarillo enthusiasts: Has anyone measured an average timeframe for an aji Amarillo to go from pollinated to harvest? I have, give or take, 90 days between plant out and till up, though I will get a bonus month to month and a half some years.

It's slowly getting closer, and I'm slowly getting crazier...

17155756_264920140623945_6515029502254741796_n.jpg

Gave me a chuckle ;)

So Eric, the Urfa Bieber seeds and the Gochu's are from Rick as well. I harvested the Gochu seeds from pods he sent me, the Urfa's he sent me with the "Kurts" AKA Kurtovska Kapijas ( I now have that saved to a notepad file).

Kevin sent me the Large Thai seeds for a growdown a few years back. Being I'm name impaired I'll look that up. I'm so bad I have a notepad file with usernames=first names..LOL. Could it be age? Nah, I've been this way for multiple decades, like 5...LOL

OK Kevin=Wayright

stettoman said:

The ajis getting sun, however, continue to flower and pod up. A question to the Amarillo enthusiasts: Has anyone measured an average timeframe for an aji Amarillo to go from pollinated to harvest? I have, give or take, 90 days between plant out and till up, though I will get a bonus month to month and a half some years.

90 Days?!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYlJSt2CN4M

Hey Eric, in my experience in the PNW climate, the Aji Amarillos
take quite awhile to ripen up.  I start them on Jan. 1, and the pods
ripen up in late summer through Fall.  In a good October we're still
harvesting ripe pods, and at the end of the season, there are always
a lot of green pods on the vines.  90 days may be too short, but
who knows, get them in some nice weather and they might surprise you.
They are extremely robust and active.  Last year, I think almost 100% of
the flowers set pods, and that was through hot, cold, and rain.  
Every node had a pod hanging on lt!

PaulG said:
Hey Eric, in my experience in the PNW climate, the Aji Amarillos
take quite awhile to ripen up.  I start them on Jan. 1, and the pods
ripen up in late summer through Fall.  In a good October we're still
harvesting ripe pods, and at the end of the season, there are always
a lot of green pods on the vines.  90 days may be too short, but
who knows, get them in some nice weather and they might surprise you.
They are extremely robust and active.  Last year, I think almost 100% of
the flowers set pods, and that was through hot, cold, and rain.  
Every node had a pod hanging on lt!

Paul, our growing seasons are crapshoots every year. Last year we had a long warm fall, I was picking eggplant and anaheims in late October, but the entire summer was wet-wet-wet. I started these amarillos in Nov.-Dec., and the ones getting sunshine are flowering and podding up even with only 11 useable hours of daylight.

The plants in the grow room should probably come up now, but they'll need be in the house at least at night until late May. I'm seat-of-my-pants-ing this year, it's kind of neat, but farmers risk every season, nature's a funky overlord.

Hey, I read in your glog where your Peruvian friends have a recipe for a green Amarillo sauce, what kind of bribe will it take to pry that out of you?

stettoman said:

Paul, our growing seasons are crapshoots every year. Last year we had a long warm fall, I was picking eggplant and anaheims in late October, but the entire summer was wet-wet-wet. I started these amarillos in Nov.-Dec., and the ones getting sunshine are flowering and podding up even with only 11 useable hours of daylight.

The plants in the grow room should probably come up now, but they'll need be in the house at least at night until late May. I'm seat-of-my-pants-ing this year, it's kind of neat, but farmers risk every season, nature's a funky overlord. You said a mouthful there, Eric!  Our schedules sound pretty similar.

Hey, I read in your glog where your Peruvian friends have a recipe for a green Amarillo sauce, what kind of bribe will it take to pry that out of you? I'll make a note to ask her for it!

Man, lucky me....

I went to bed without checking if the kiddies were thirsty last night. This morning the Large Orange Thai sprouts were laying flat and wrinkly on their pellet.

They came back, but they sure looked done when I found them.

Whew.....

PaulG said:

The plants in the grow room should probably come up now, but they'll need be in the house at least at night until late May. I'm seat-of-my-pants-ing this year, it's kind of neat, but farmers risk every season, nature's a funky overlord. You said a mouthful there, Eric!  Our schedules sound pretty similar.

Hey, I read in your glog where your Peruvian friends have a recipe for a green Amarillo sauce, what kind of bribe will it take to pry that out of you? I'll make a note to ask her for it!

You know. if you're anywhere near the 46th parallel, we have the exact same schedule. Unfortunately for me the prevailing winds bring me the weather from dragonsfire's neck of the woods instead of that nice Pacific flow...But our daylight schedules would be the same!

Just punch your coordinates in here:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/Dur_OneYear.php

GnarlyPepper said:
Stetto... I have enjoyed reading through your glog.  It's given me some real enthusiasm ............. sort of a preview of what my own starts will look like very soon.  Good luck with your grow and thank you for taking the time to share your progress.

Hey man, anything I can do! This is the coolest people site anywhere, I wish I'd have found it years ago....

Ok, excuse my ignernce, I even googled it earlier today and can't find an EWTON anywhere on earth. Middle earth, perhaps?

stettoman said:
Man, lucky me....

I went to bed without checking if the kiddies were thirsty last night. This morning the Large Orange Thai sprouts were laying flat and wrinkly on their pellet.

They came back, but they sure looked done when I found them.

Whew.....    Tough little buggers, huh   :dance:

stettoman said:
Hey man, anything I can do! This is the coolest people site anywhere, I wish I'd have found it years ago....

Ok, excuse my ignernce, I even googled it earlier today and can't find an EWTON anywhere on earth. Middle earth, perhaps?

LOL.  I need to edit my profile.  I am in Jacksonville, FL.  

Back