• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stetto's First Winter Grow ('16-'17)

Well, here we gro, October 14 and the setup has begun.

14681754_179490489166911_3328693517186987941_n.jpg

My heat mat is unregulated, no thermostat, but measures (without sunlight) @ 87.5F. As can be seen, the 20+ inch deep mat is folded up at the window sill, which should help in deflecting any winter chill getting through the glass. This window will one day be a garden window extending around 9 inches out from the house, to facilitate all manner of horticultural misdeeds...But that's another story...

The lil' ziplock box in the photo is the start of my winter experiment, some Trinidad Moruga Scorpion seed obtained through the good graces of Jeff Contonio. My other seed is in transit from Australia:

Aji Amarillo

Jalapeno Tormenta

Bert the Chilli

I've been trying to grow Aji Amarillo for some years but have never been able to get seed to germinate. I've blamed the seed (innocuous Amazon purchases) up till now, but I have a lot more faith this time around since finding a reputable vendor. Note that only one superhot is being planted----For now.

After germination I intend on sowing into Solo cups (I've heard a wive's tale that you use the red ones for more than just the song), and eventually into 1.5 gallon pots. Even though I brag about the growing strength of the local soil (primordial ooze), I think I'll either hybrid it with non-soil potting mix or not use dirt from the garden at all.

I expect to do quite a bit of pruning, hopefully to encourage bushyness and to promote production in smaller accomodations. I'm sure I can find plety of input on that subject in these pages...

This is my first inside grow, let's see what happens. Any advice/pointers/warnings/pokes/prods/words of encouragement are welcome....But ya doesn't has to call me Johnson....

A little Kelp or Cal-Mag foliar spray might 
help the plant on the left - I spray with each
every two weeks, more often if it looks like
there is a micronutrient deficiency. Otherwise,
they look awesome in the sun   :cool:

When is dirt day?

Devv said:
They look great Eric!

I'm impressed!

Thanks Scott! What I am is amazed. I originally thought I'd have little hope of starting plants before Christmas and having them actually survive!

PaulG said:
there is a micronutrient deficiency. Otherwise,
they look awesome in the sun   :cool:

When is dirt day?

Dirt day around here can and has been (for those either brave enough or adequately equipped to stave off frost) as early as the end of April. For old paranoids like myself it is the last weekend of May/1st weekend of June. We are having an insanely nice Spring, so I imagine, arctic meteorological intrusions aside, there will be a lot of early planting.

Thanks for the nute tip, that light plant is a TM Scorpion, and desires more light than I had apparently been giving it. It's twin was brought into natural sunlight a couple weeks ago and has actually darkened up on it's own, but I do need to get on the maintenance program.

The robins and the blackbirds both showed up this morning, darn near two weeks early for both.

There were more blackbirds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49J6Q6MpOeo&t=23s

It's the only one doing that. It started with just one "wart", now has three. They all appear to be open on the inside, never seen the like either.

I will endeavor to document it's progress, and Matt & Greg, I promise you seeds if it matures....

stettoman said:
It's the only one doing that. It started with just one "wart", now has three. They all appear to be open on the inside, never seen the like either.

I will endeavor to document it's progress, and Matt & Greg, I promise you seeds if it matures....

I was just gonna ask!    :D

This always-entertaining thread just got a whole lot better!
 Who else has a genuine Mutant Monster Pepper of Doom growing in their living room?    :rofl:

Good news, Greg! I found another mutant, this one with only one wart. It's on a different plant, however.

So, the babies downstairs are getting bigger digs...I know, not very many, but this is my first year with virtually ALL of these, so for me, this is MANY.

I ran out of seedling media, so three of the little ones are going to have to wait another day...

17632462_273904683058824_6195064466277106241_o.jpg

I'm amazed at the difference in size and the frailty of some of these pepper plants coming out of the ground, especially my rocoto amarillos. I lost one to damping off, was sad to see...

A second plant with the same symptoms? :doh:  I can't imaging any specific nutrient or environmental issues causing this, but what do I know...?   :hi:
(Maybe the diesel drench wasn't such a good idea after all?   :P   )

Try posting a picture of Herman Munster in the Pepper ID thread!

PaulG said:
there is a micronutrient deficiency.

I am amazed at how little time it took the Cal-Mag to do it's thing! Plants are all a deeper shade today. I can't tell which of the scorp plants was yellowing in the first place.

Thank ya...

Geonerd said:
IMO, that's gotta be a genuine mutation.  I'm curious if the other pods on that plant will display the same weirdness.
Not that unusual.  Sometimes, peppers just sort of weird
out, like tomatoes, or the infamous well-hung carrot    :lol:

PaulG said:
Not that unusual.  Sometimes, peppers just sort of weird
out, like tomatoes, or the infamous well-hung carrot    :lol:

So, maybe it is a nutrient or environmental thing?  OK.

Update on the younger plants.

There was a real lull after these guys popped, not sure if it's environmental or bio-systemic, I just don't know that much about these exotics yet, but between 4/1 and 4/11 (today), they've all really perked up, even the runtish starts like the Sweet Paprika and the jalapeno Tormenta have rebounded well. The rocoto Amarillo could be more vibrant, but I thought it was a goner, so I'll take what I can get...

April one:

17632462_273904683058824_6195064466277106241_o.jpg

April eleven:

17855327_278895045893121_5736367666889907883_o.jpg

Note that one of the bells up front is missing. It had developed severe cupping in the true leaves, so as an experiment I brought it upstairs to hang in the window with the big kids. Amazingly, the leaves flattened back out in just 24 hours.

That's what I got. I put my amish paste tomatuhs in pellets the other day, so I'm on schedule.

I'm having a toenail removed today. That is a good thing. Bastige has been festering for almost 20 years...

This morning. The last few weeks are crazy, little/no time for anything chile but for keeping them alive. The bells are all upstairs in the window now, they like the real sun a LOT better. I'm to where I can shuttle the big plants outside one day out of three, depending on temps. If it's not above 50 they stay inside and suffer with indirect sun. We get hellasish wind here this time of year as well, lost a couple aji Amarillo pods to it yesterday. I need to plant more trees around the perimeter...I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter.

17966786_282051402244152_785456500279081132_o.jpg

Back