• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

STEVE954 Grow Log

Hello from south florida. This year's grow started just after thanksgiving when sowed several different strains of scotch bonnet. After many attempts, I finally got my hands on some scotch bonnet seeds from the Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture!
newpicture2013087_zpsf55b19b7.jpg

Scotch Bonnet-MoA
newpicture2013073-Copy2_zps89dfbc81.jpg

Red-Scotch Bonnet-RedFoodarama, Green-Scotch Bonnet-MoA, Black-Scotch Bonnet-Papa Joe's Mkt
newpicture2013077_zps0e3a3a06.jpg

Scotch Bonnet-TFM Tree
newpicture2013075_zps289af11d.jpg

Scotch Bonnet TFM still producing
newpicture2013079_zpsa37b35ec.jpg

Thanks. I find I get pods like this only 25% of the time. Late to mature but steady producers.
I can't see how the scotch bonnet-MOA would increase the "look" or shape percentage, IMO that would be relavant to that percentage would be plant health, water, lighting (btw you have one of the best tropical climates for peppers), what it's feed, etc. etc. etc... On the other side of the coin as long as they taste great 100% of the time, who cares how perfect they look :) That said, I do agree that one has a beutiful smexy shape! Looking forward to seeing dem plants soon :)

I can't see how the scotch bonnet-MOA would increase the "look" or shape percentage, IMO that would be relavant to that percentage would be plant health, water, lighting (btw you have one of the best tropical climates for peppers), what it's feed, etc. etc. etc... On the other side of the coin as long as they taste great 100% of the time, who cares how perfect they look :) That said, I do agree that one has a beutiful smexy shape! Looking forward to seeing dem plants soon :)

The scotch bonnet-MoA has been developed by the Ministry of Agriculture's Bodles research station by saving and sowing seeds from "Grade A" pods over the last decade. That's why I believe the percentage will be higher than the TFM.

Scotch bonnet graded according to quality of the product. Grade A (or Grade 1) is better than Grade B (or Grade 2). A Grade A Scotch bonnet is expected to:
•have a cup and saucer shape or look like a Scottish man's bonnet (tam)
•have four or five lobes
•be 1.5 inches wide
•have a stalk no longer than 1 1/4 inches long
•be without blemishes on the skin
•be free of chemical residue

"The Jamaican government is currently working with agronomists at the Scientific Research Council and the Ministry of Agriculture to save the Scotch pepper which is under threat from the use of inferior seeds, the use of the name Jamaican Scotch bonnet to describe peppers that are not real Scotch bonnet, inferior quality products and inability to meet demand. In addition, the fumigation that is required for entry into the United States results in quicker spoilage.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Agricultural Development Association and the Scientific Research Council are all working to ensure that the Scotch bonnet pepper industry survives. One of the strategies being developed is the sale and distribution of top-quality Jamaican Scotch bonnet seeds to farmers."

So I guess the jamiacan government cares about the shape of their pods..

Steve I hope I'm being paranoid but the new growth on those look a little twisted. Can you post some close ups? Have you done anything to keep bugs away? You may have a mite issue.

Steve I hope I'm being paranoid but the new growth on those look a little twisted. Can you post some close ups? Have you done anything to keep bugs away? You may have a mite issue.

Thats what I was thinkin after I posted that. Looks like a bit of bug damage.

Thank you for your concern Patrick. Your correct, a few plants are experienceing some twisting from mites. Down here we get a barrage of bug issues from aphids and mites to whitefly(impossible to get rid of its a part of growing down here). i have come to conclusion that a simple biodegradable soapy water solution(dawnoriginal) works best to control the pests without nuking the plants with insecticides. These bugs generally have a 5-8 day life cycle so if you dont spray once a week they start to gain on you. Thank you for the reminder, I'm going to get them a spray now!

Back