• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

STEVE954 Grow Log

Hello from south florida. This year's grow started just after thanksgiving when sowed several different strains of scotch bonnet. After many attempts, I finally got my hands on some scotch bonnet seeds from the Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture!
newpicture2013087_zpsf55b19b7.jpg

Scotch Bonnet-MoA
newpicture2013073-Copy2_zps89dfbc81.jpg

Red-Scotch Bonnet-RedFoodarama, Green-Scotch Bonnet-MoA, Black-Scotch Bonnet-Papa Joe's Mkt
newpicture2013077_zps0e3a3a06.jpg

Scotch Bonnet-TFM Tree
newpicture2013075_zps289af11d.jpg

Scotch Bonnet TFM still producing
newpicture2013079_zpsa37b35ec.jpg

The leaves look exactly like a Bahamian Goat Pepper that I tried to grow a few years ago. Are they similar peppers?

They are similar peppers but thats not the issue. The leaves have a broad mite infestation. These little bastards will retard and stunt the plants growth. If not treated rather quickly it easily turn into a death sentence.

I'm glad you're aware of the issue. I have trouble with the little turds myself. I had a hard time identifying them as they're extremely fast and hard to see without some type of magnification. I used the organic sprays for a while but got tired of reapplying so finally went chemical on them. Didn't have to to use it again.

Good luck with them Steve.

They are similar peppers but thats not the issue. The leaves have a broad mite infestation. These little bastards will retard and stunt the plants growth. If not treated rather quickly it easily turn into a death sentence.

I understand. Seeing your pics, reminded me of a unexplained disaster I had. I had a beautiful Bahamian Goat, until I transplanted it outside. Something ate part of the leaves, then it simply stopped growing and died:

DSCN0079.jpg

I understand. Seeing your pics, reminded me of a unexplained disaster I had. I had a beautiful Bahamian Goat, until I transplanted it outside. Something ate part of the leaves, then it simply stopped growing and died:

DSCN0079.jpg

Thats a nice looking juvenile. The leaves seem to be getting chomped on by a hornworm, caterpillar, or some type of grasshopper. I have ruled out the notorious african leaf-cutter ant.

i am very impressed with your choice of peppers.. would LOVE to try them MoA seeds... i already convinced my sister to grow those exclusively in her backyard... so theres no CROSSing . of couse id need some seeds first... hahaha i too am growing a variety of Scotch bonnets mon.. got the seeds from GREGs pods and Garys Pods as well... all a great tasting pepper.... my coworkers were thrilled about it mon as she is from jamaican you know...will follow up with this glog for sure.. and looks like you being in FL will get pods in a couple months!!.. best of luck..

Denniz

Steve, thought you had the broad mite infestation under control with soapy water spray, has it gotten worse or is that working? Let me know if you try the Bonide that Jamison recommends. I’ve been fighting this war now for a few days and while I do see some improvement with soapy water it seems they’re back after a few days and not sure how long the plants can take being sprayed as I normally only hit them once a week for whitefly. One thing I like about Jamison’s recommendation is that it states “for organic gardening,” which I believe we both follow :)

i am very impressed with your choice of peppers.. would LOVE to try them MoA seeds... i already convinced my sister to grow those exclusively in her backyard... so theres no CROSSing . of couse id need some seeds first... hahaha i too am growing a variety of Scotch bonnets mon.. got the seeds from GREGs pods and Garys Pods as well... all a great tasting pepper.... my coworkers were thrilled about it mon as she is from jamaican you know...will follow up with this glog for sure.. and looks like you being in FL will get pods in a couple months!!.. best of luck..

Denniz

Thanks Dennis, Unfortunately I sent my last 12 seeds to Greg. I should have pods by March.

Steve, thought you had the broad mite infestation under control with soapy water spray, has it gotten worse or is that working? Let me know if you try the Bonide that Jamison recommends. I’ve been fighting this war now for a few days and while I do see some improvement with soapy water it seems they’re back after a few days and not sure how long the plants can take being sprayed as I normally only hit them once a week for whitefly. One thing I like about Jamison’s recommendation is that it states “for organic gardening,” which I believe we both follow :)

Ramon, you're right about the soapy water. Spraying more than 1 a week is too much for the juveniles. I am going to prune back infected leaves and treat will hydrogen peroxide. If that doesnt work, I'll just have to break down and go chemical on them. I will post pictures soon.

... Ramon, you're right about the soapy water. Spraying more than 1 a week is too much for the juveniles. I am going to prune back infected leaves and treat will hydrogen peroxide. If that doesnt work, I'll just have to break down and go chemical on them. I will post pictures soon.

Do either you or Jamison know if that Bonide is truely organic, it does say so on the bottle. If this is true, then I don't see a problem using it. Possibly thined out it with water or something since the plants are small or test it at full strength on another plant you don't care about, hehe. For that matter, I've noted that larger plants can take 1oz. of dish soap per gallon without any leaf issues, even stronger if needed. Why not thin out a weaker formula of soapy water, like 1/2 oz or less per gallon and increase the percentage of mix if needed, again a test subject is nice to have. If you want, you can have one of my sick Datils, I test mix on them all the time, lol. But you might not want it in your backyard :o I honestly don't know what small plants can or can not take, I just test stuff to see before spraying on something you love. While I do use H2O2 at a rate of 2 tsp per gallon on small plants without issues, I can't say it's killed any bugs, probably the mix is too weak.

Edit: Steve, 1 of 6 SB MoA’s planted is up, look here \o/

Broad mites are sweeping through garden. This is war. I had to prune multiple juveniles and spray with H2o2. If this doesn't work, I will have to bring out the big guns(Bonide).
011_zps12f5315c.jpg

The SB-Red Foodarama seems to be unscathed. It has a few flower buds.
019_zpsdc242901.jpg

Here are a few SB-TFM Pods. Unfortunately the TFM tree is also heavily infected with broad mites.
022_zps0ff13fe3.jpg

Steve, I woke this morning to find them on a few plants, must be broad mite season here now or they just discovered my crop. Last year I didn’t have any hit me but now I join you in declaring war. While I’ve only trimmed a few leaves, I sprayed them heavy with soapy water mix today and will see what’s going down tomorrow.

Steve, I woke this morning to find them on a few plants, must be broad mite season here now or they just discovered my crop. Last year I didn’t have any hit me but now I join you in declaring war. While I’ve only trimmed a few leaves, I sprayed them heavy with soapy water mix today and will see what’s going down tomorrow.

I didn't have this problem last year either. These bastards attack new growth. They spread quickly, thanks to another archenemy, the whitefly.
1broadmite_new.jpg

10 pests in 1. Nine Broad Mites hitch a ride on a whitefly.

"In war there is no prize for the runner-up."
-General Omar Bradley

Thanks Dennis, Unfortunately I sent my last 12 seeds to Greg. I should have pods by March.

Ramon, you're right about the soapy water. Spraying more than 1 a week is too much for the juveniles. I am going to prune back infected leaves and treat will hydrogen peroxide. If that doesnt work, I'll just have to break down and go chemical on them. I will post pictures soon.

Steve,
Thanks for considering me for the last of your seeds. They will be in good hands..........I mean soil........... :party:
They will be giving the utmost care....in my garden
I'm looking forward to pushing the grow on these to catch up with the gifted others...

thanks again,!
Greg

Mites are a PIA to deal with. I had a few plants towards the end of the season that started getting the "twist". I sprayed with Pyrethrins and that did the trick. Broad or Spider mites...they're both a different devil but if you can catch them early you could prevent them from spreading from plant to plant...

Thanks Greg. It's an honor, sir.

The MoA seeds are a once in a lifetime oppurtunity. I knew that if I spread these to the good people of THP that they would be appreciated for growers and newbies to come. The Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture does not sell these seeds to the public. They are strickly for Jamaican farmers.....not any more!

Thanks Greg. It's an honor, sir.

The MoA seeds are a once in a lifetime oppurtunity. I knew that if I spread these to the good people of THP that they would be appreciated for growers and newbies to come. The Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture does not sell these seeds to the public. They are strickly for Jamaican farmers.....not any more!

You're lucky you got the seeds "Right from the Horses Mouth"....as they say. My seeds in the past have either come out of pods at the market or through Arijam Farms, which deals through seed producrs in Jamaica. There are quite a few "Jerk" houses in Chicago....I've tried alot of them (daytime only........... :shh: ) Mostly Jamaican women working, All agree it's difficult to find an authentic Jamaican Scotch Bonnet here in the states....mostly Congo's shipped in from Central America." If cha want day bonny cha half to go to day contry ,mon".........I've heard that many times...........

IMG_5048.jpg

All this talk has gotten me all hyped up for the "Bonnet Blowout Grow of 2013" Here's tomorrows stop for lunch to see my friend "Treenie" at " Maxines " for Half a chicken. Plaintains, Red Beans and Rice and Collards... ( Callaloo doesn't ship til Spring)
Sorry for the photo Steve...I'll delete if you want......

Greg

Back