• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

STEVE954 Grow Log

Hello from south florida. This year's grow started just after thanksgiving when sowed several different strains of scotch bonnet. After many attempts, I finally got my hands on some scotch bonnet seeds from the Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture!
newpicture2013087_zpsf55b19b7.jpg

Scotch Bonnet-MoA
newpicture2013073-Copy2_zps89dfbc81.jpg

Red-Scotch Bonnet-RedFoodarama, Green-Scotch Bonnet-MoA, Black-Scotch Bonnet-Papa Joe's Mkt
newpicture2013077_zps0e3a3a06.jpg

Scotch Bonnet-TFM Tree
newpicture2013075_zps289af11d.jpg

Scotch Bonnet TFM still producing
newpicture2013079_zpsa37b35ec.jpg

Thanks Greg. It's an honor, sir.
You could not have picked a more serious, detailed & compassionate grower here, great selection Steve! While I don’t have half of Greg’s knowledge, I do have the passion and I thank you again as well *_*

The MoA seeds are a once in a lifetime oppurtunity. I knew that if I spread these to the good people of THP that they would be appreciated for growers and newbies to come. The Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture does not sell these seeds to the public. They are strickly for Jamaican farmers.....not any more!
While the Jamaican people are beautiful and very caring, Having many friends both there and here I know first hand how difficult it can be to deal with their government after several years of dealing with different government agencies myself. Even my friends there will say the same ... So “respect” to you mon for going thru da troubles and to the person that you convinced to supply you da seed mon \o_

@Greg great pic! Maxine’s looks killa, how’s the curry mutton there if they have and if their escovitch fish is good, I seriously recommend fish, rice & peas and bammy FTW. BTW can you find bread fruit in Chicago?

You could not have picked a more serious, detailed & compassionate grower here, great selection Steve! While I don’t have half of Greg’s knowledge, I do have the passion and I thank you again as well *_*

While the Jamaican people are beautiful and very caring, Having many friends both there and here I know first hand how difficult it can be to deal with their government after several years of dealing with different government agencies myself. Even my friends there will say the same ... So “respect” to you mon for going thru da troubles and to the person that you convinced to supply you da seed mon \o_

@Greg great pic! Maxine’s looks killa, how’s the curry mutton there if they have and if their escovitch fish is good, I seriously recommend fish, rice & peas and bammy FTW. BTW can you find bread fruit in Chicago?

You are 100% correct Ramon. 6 months of convincing and a little bit of luck. I believe it will be worth the wait bredren!

Any update on the mites? Sorry, tried to "like" your post but THP won't let me, reached my quota for da day, hehe

Edit: Flash bulletin Steve the SB MoA's are now 66% ... from IRC [11:26] <@WalkGood> holy shit, another one's cracking seed husk, now 4 for 6 \o/

Any update on the mites? Sorry, tried to "like" your post but THP won't let me, reached my quota for da day, hehe

Edit: Flash bulletin Steve the SB MoA's are now 66% ... from IRC [11:26] <@WalkGood> holy shit, another one's cracking seed husk, now 4 for 6 \o/

That's eggcellent Ramon!, the guerilla warfare with the broad mites has just begun. I'm spraying foliage with a strong solution of 50/50 h2o/h2o2 every other day. I hoping to see new clean growth soon.

That's eggcellent Ramon!
Thanks to you :)
the guerilla warfare with the broad mites has just begun. I'm spraying foliage with a strong solution of 50/50 h2o/h2o2 every other day. I hoping to see new clean growth soon.
Keep me abreast of the situation as you know per our earlier conversation I&rsquo;m now battling dat same war. I&rsquo;m seriously thinking of tossing 4 Datils that are infested now. I first asked a friend if he wanted to take on the challenge but I don&rsquo;t blame him for not wanting them at his yard. If I keep the soil it will certainly be nuked :D

The broad mites have crippled 80% of my crop. The new seedlings were annihilated. I have quarentined the infected plants. The remaining "healty" plants include 1 SB-Papa Joes Mkt, 1 SB-Red Foodarama, and 4 SB-Moa. I am getting prepared to wave the white flag and start "operation destroy and rebuild". Its time to break out the reserve seeds to save the 2013 season. Here is a picture of the old SB-TFM tree and two "healthy" SB-MoA. I will keep the TFM pruned to avoid cross polination.
002_zpsb20cf6e8.jpg

003_zpse6af697a.jpg

Wow you went to town mon, but please don't wave the white flag ... keep fighting the war and treat the soil as we spoke earlier today. I got lots of faith in you brah and you will win dat war mon!!! If you need any help, just let me know.

Thanks Ramon, I not giving up just yet until I figure out how to cure my crippled plants. I can not believe this happened over a two week period! I call it the "BROAD PLAGUE". I want to be prepared in the future so when it happens again I can quickly eradicate them. Thank you for the words of encouragement, bredren.

I'd say if you haven't already, cut all the foliage off the infected plants. Take em out of their pots and wash the roots off and dip em in some water/soap mixture. Then re pot them in some fresh new soil. No need to wave the white flag till you've tried it all bro. Looks beautiful and sunny down there you lucky bastard!

They're perennials. As long as the roots are in the dirt the new growth will reappear. In the mean time do your spraying before sunset. Cover the two smaller plants with a large bucket or one of those 18 gal ultility containers that the big box stores sell ($6). Remove the containers the next morning before the sun beats down. Rinse plants with water and repeat the process for a couple of days. The containers will help smother whats on the plants.....not necessarily what could be in the stems or beneath the soil. Have you looked into "Pyrethins".......its not cheap , but its organic and it works against mites..

I'd say if you haven't already, cut all the foliage off the infected plants. Take em out of their pots and wash the roots off and dip em in some water/soap mixture. Then re pot them in some fresh new soil. No need to wave the white flag till you've tried it all bro. Looks beautiful and sunny down there you lucky bastard!
Thanks brother. I have cut back all the infected leaves. The growth looks halted for the time being. 75 degrees without a cloud in the sky!
They're perennials. As long as the roots are in the dirt the new growth will reappear. In the mean time do your spraying before sunset. Cover the two smaller plants with a large bucket or one of those 18 gal ultility containers that the big box stores sell ($6). Remove the containers the next morning before the sun beats down. Rinse plants with water and repeat the process for a couple of days. The containers will help smother whats on the plants.....not necessarily what could be in the stems or beneath the soil. Have you looked into "Pyrethins".......its not cheap , but its organic and it works against mites..
The containers will go on the next spray. The pyrethins is plant derived(dried flower heads) and a powerful insecticide. From Wiki: "Pyrethrins are neurotoxins that attack the nervous systems of all insects. When present in amounts not fatal to insects, they still appear to have an insect repellent effect."

Thank you for the great advice Greg.

Super bowl Sunday Jerk Chicken wings! Ocho Rios Jerk seasoning enhanced with SB-TFM Powder & SB hot sauce!
001_zpsb1f48d99.jpg

005_zps0d5d1d17.jpg

010_zps2be05473.jpg

Finished Product
011_zpsbc250960.jpg

Hillary(2) and Charles(3wks) happy to catch wind about the Jerk Chicken Wings!
008_zps4dd7dd2d.jpg

015_zps777c1b5d.jpg

[sup]Quarentined Broad mite survivers healing and trying to get happy...[/sup]
[sup]
003_zps951d14d4.jpg
[/sup]
[sup]Only other(aside from 2 SB-MoAs in-ground) "unscathed" Juveniles SB-Papa Joe's Market(left), SB-MoA(center), SB-Red Foodarama(right)[/sup]
[sup]
004_zps0fb51340.jpg
[/sup]

Great food, now I&rsquo;m hungry and need to eat, hehe &hellip; Looks awesome, nice pics and the kids look great too. I&rsquo;m sure both you and Mama are very proud parents, keep up da great work!!!

Hey Steve, nice grow.

I'm having the same problem with broad mites and I'm able to control them using alternating sprays of neem oil and castille soap. I've been experimenting with Murphy's Oil Soap, and its been working too at 1@tbsp per quart. Haven't seen any ill effects yet, but it's winter. AI still have tp spray at least 1x per week, sometimes 2x. YMMV

Wow those TFMs are beautiful. Hopefully there will be enough seeds to go around this year. Great score!

Edit for typo. Darn auto-correct. You gotta watch it like hawk.

Hey Steve, nice grow.

I'm having the same problem with broad mites and I'm able to control them using alternating sprays of neem oil and castille soap. I've been experimenting with Murphy's Oil Soap, and its been working too at 1@tbsp per quart. Haven't seen any ill effects yet, but it's winter. AI still have tp spray at least 1x per week, sometimes 2x. YMMV
Howdy neighbor!

How long have you been treating the broad mites?

Wow those TDMs are beautiful. Hopefully there will be enough seeds to go around this year. Great score!

Thank you. I believe you are referring to the "SB-TFM". They're an excellent strain of scotch bonnet for shape and flavor. I have seeds for this one. PM me.

The SB-MoA is my new project! Hope to have many pods/seeds to share with everyone on THP this summer!

Back