• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Pinoy83 said:
mahalo to your wonderful package my brahhhhhhh :onfire: :onfire: :onfire:

Glad you like it brah :)  I see there were Gorillas handling the package somewhere along it's journey, but fortunately they didn't spill any sauce... ;)

Aphids are back, so I'm gonna try some neem to see if that takes them out. Otherwise, the OW plants are looking mostly OK.

Thanks to the generosity of Spicegeist and Waywright, I have lots of new C. Frutascens and wild varieties to plant. I don't know much about them, so lots to research. I'll be looking on my own, but If any of you could point me to any online resources that have good information on them I'd be grateful. Have a great week all!

Penny said:
No I didn't, is it in your Glog? Cuz that's a pile of reading, if its not LOL ;)

It's on my profile page. Click on my username and it should bring up the profile page that has the personal info I included when I signed up. Page down and you'll see a growlist, a seeds for trade list and a seeds wanted list.

Just wanted to shout out to Jericson (Pinoy 83) and Paul (PaulG) to say "Thanks for the pepper love, guys!"

Jericson, The baggie with the pods you called Hawiian Bhuts in it was kinda mushy when it got here. Between the shape and size of the pods, the ease with which they came off the stem, the juiciness of the flesh and few seeds inside, it looks an awful lot like the Frutascens that grows wild where you are. Is it? Cool if so... I've been wanting to grow some Fruts, and getting fresh pods to try is win-win! The powders smell great too... are these the ones you made from peppers smoked over your herbed balsamic reduction? I'll make sure the Gochus get a good home too...
SANY0521_zps535de4f0.jpg

Paul, Your sweet-hot powder is already gone... great stuff! And the rest probably won't last long either. Thanks also for the seeds for the Habanero varieties. They'll be fun to grow a little further down the road.
SANY0522_zpscb480717.jpg

The OW plants keep chugging along, though all the Chinense varieties are showing little black spots on the leaves after spraying them with spinosad. Not a good thing to spray without rinsing off afterwards I'm finding. The Manzano is unaffected so far, and I hope it stays that way.

Douglah
SANY0517_zps81a6239f.jpg

Manzano
SANY0516_zps97b744c1.jpg

Butch T
SANY0514_zps84fff418.jpg

Yellow 7
SANY0515_zps50166cb0.jpg

Have a great T-day all!

stickman said:
Just wanted to shout out to Jericson (Pinoy 83) and Paul (PaulG) to say "Thanks for the pepper love, guys!"

Jericson, The baggie with the pods you called Hawiian Bhuts in it was kinda mushy when it got here. Between the shape and size of the pods, the ease with which they came off the stem, the juiciness of the flesh and few seeds inside, it looks an awful lot like the Frutascens that grows wild where you are. Is it? Cool if so... I've been wanting to grow some Fruts, and getting fresh pods to try is win-win! The powders smell great too... are these the ones you made from peppers smoked over your herbed balsamic reduction? I'll make sure the Gochus get a good home too...
SANY0521_zps535de4f0.jpg

awwww that sucks most of them came mushy already, and enjoy the powders brah ;) ..yea they more likely fruts, hawaiian chiles are fruticens, i did white wine rosemary in the smoker with the peppers, and hopefully the gochus will germinate, good luck

Hey Rick, have a great T-Day my friend. I am trying to imagine the menu for your T-Day at the Stickman's house... Roast Turkey marinated in chilli, stuffed with chilli. Roast chilli potatoes, brussels and seasonal veggies with chilli - served with a cranberry chilli jous. Dessert: chilli ice cream... served with a chilli wafer and a sweet and sour chilli compot lol sounds a little too simple for your kinda cooking, but am I close? Have a good one my friend!

PeriPeri said:
Hey Rick, have a great T-Day my friend. I am trying to imagine the menu for your T-Day at the Stickman's house... Roast Turkey marinated in chilli, stuffed with chilli. Roast chilli potatoes, brussels and seasonal veggies with chilli - served with a cranberry chilli jous. Dessert: chilli ice cream... served with a chilli wafer and a sweet and sour chilli compot lol sounds a little too simple for your kinda cooking, but am I close? Have a good one my friend!

I appreciated the thought my friend, but I'd be the only one eating it if I did that, lol! I'll definitely spice up the "dirty rice" stuffing with some of my Gochu powder, but I'll play the rest straight... :)  The menu will be roast turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes, pan gravy with garlic, butternut squash, sauteed lucinato kale, cranberry-apricot chutney, pumpkin pie, mock mincemeat pie, cranberry-apple pie, homemade ginger ice cream and mulled cider. My Mom, Brother and Nephew will be coming over, and we'll eat, talk, and play a few rounds of Scrabble.

Ricks red hot sauce. All gone. Hope to replicate yor sauce. Hope all is well and you've started with the pubes If you need help I can surely sow some and send them to you

HabaneroHead said:
Wow, Rick!
Homemade ginger ice cream? I am not a cookie monster, but it makes me curious :-)
Would you share the recipe with us?

Balázs

Sure thing Balázs... I start out with a 5cm piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced. I break it up well in a suribachi (as pictured) or mortar and pestle.
SANY0523_zpsd5aab813.jpg

I put the pounded ginger root into a saucepan with 150g of sugar and 125ml of water and simmer 3-4 minutes to make a light syrup. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
SANY0525_zps4cdde449.jpg

In another saucepan, scald 300ml of milk and 225ml of heavy cream. Stir in the ginger syrup and another 150g of sugar. Remove from heat and set aside15 minutes to cool and allow the flavors to blend.
SANY0526_zpsb1f15148.jpg

Strain ginger solids from the cream mixture and discard. Whisk together 3 egg yolks and 9gm of finely minced crystallized ginger.
SANY0527_zpsa8b943e8.jpg

set the cream mixture in the top of a double boiler and whisk in the egg mixture. Heat gently, and stir constantly until the mixture becomes a thin custard. It will thicken slightly but should not be heated to a boil or simmer.
SANY0529_zps88abd81c.jpg

Cool the custard to room temperature and prepare according to your ice cream maker's directions.
SANY0530_zpse82e794f.jpg

SANY0531_zps1363b82a.jpg

With my machine, after I've gotten the custard to set up it's still too soft and melts very quickly. To firm it up, I put the freezer can into the chest freezer to chill even more overnight. It's ready to serve the next day. This recipe makes about 750ml of ice cream. Hope that works for you. :)

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Ricks red hot sauce. All gone. Hope to replicate yor sauce. Hope all is well and you've started with the pubes If you need help I can surely sow some and send them to you
Glad you liked the sauce DeNNiZ... did it really take you 3 days to finish it? ;)  There's nothing special about the ingredients or the recipe outside of smoking the chiles first. I'm sure you'll do fine with it.

After having no luck germinating any Manzanos this past January, Shane took pity and mailed me one of his seedlings. It was a strong and healthy plant, and I got about 10 ripe pods from it. I saved the seeds from those pods and am over-wintering the plant, so I think I'm OK with the Pubes for now, but thanks for the offer!
Pinoy83 said:
i LOOVEEEEE gingerrr iceee creammmmm....thats freaking ONO :fireball:

I thought you might... I wish I  could say I tried it first in Hawaii, but I pulled the recipe off the web a number of years ago and liked it so much that I kept coming back to it.

I wish you all a happy Thanksgiving and hope you are all sitting down to it with your loved ones. Cheers!

Back