• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

HabaneroHead said:
Thank you, Rick! I am going to try this out, for sure.
Happy Thanksgiving! :-)

Balázs

Thanks Balázs... We cracked the jar of pickled Almapaprika today and it  was  freakin' awesome! Definitely going to do  them again next year and pickle the whole crop. I think your mom's recipe  would be perfect for pickling Jalapenos  too... nice and crunchy!

WalkGood said:
Great updates Rick, wishin you & yours an awesome T-Bird Day!!!

Back atcha Ramon, enjoy!

Hi Rick,

I was pretty sure you would like it.
I think now I should offer my Mom's recipes on the forum to gather new seeds :P (as I am running out of pepper varieties)
She mentioned that I should ask you whether you are interested in more pickled recipes...as she still has some to share.
Let me know and I will PM you some, or post it in your glog.

Balázs

Oh please post them, I love the old country recipes. It's a shame so many are just falling by the wayside.

Rick awesome ice cream recipe, thanks for sharing. I'm thinking if I made every dish I've read about this season I would be 400 pounds..

I was at the sons house, or should I say mad-house for Thanksgiving. They had 20 people over and it was a hard run to get everything ready on time.

Hope your T-day was a good one!

Devv said:
Oh please post them, I love the old country recipes. It's a shame so many are just falling by the wayside.

Rick awesome ice cream recipe, thanks for sharing. I'm thinking if I made every dish I've read about this season I would be 400 pounds..

I was at the sons house, or should I say mad-house for Thanksgiving. They had 20 people over and it was a hard run to get everything ready on time.

Hope your T-day was a good one!

Glad you had a great time with your peeps, we did here too... lots of good food and company!

Miz Annie warned me that she had a package incoming, and it got here today so this shout-out's for her...  Why thank you ma'am! I definitely appreciate it, and I'll get back to you when I've sampled them all... I'm sure you put a lot of effort into them and I want to give them my undivided attention when I do.
SANY0540_zps18233926.jpg

The last few days have been pretty hectic, and I just got over to the farmer's Co-op to get the pyrethrin spray so I can take care of the little aphid bastiges on my OW peppers. The Yellow 7 is the worst affected... it started to drop leaves on the affected branches so I figured I'd better jump on it.
SANY0542_zps332bc38a.jpg

SANY0546_zps36a285fb.jpg

The only other plant I've seen the little bastiges on is the Manzano, but I've only seen the odd one or two and they succumbed to the mk1 thumb.
SANY0543_zps8f7f07f9.jpg

After sowing over 30 Manzano seeds with no hooks last winter I had to sow a few that I harvested from the pods on the plant Shane sent. I guess last year's must have been a bad batch, because this one sprouted after 7 days.
SANY0550_zps410aeb61.jpg

So after the aphids stressed the Yellow 7, my best looking OW pepper became the Butch T, which is beginning to put out flower buds.
SANY0541_zps351b6596.jpg

SANY0545_zpsb60be2d1.jpg

The Douglah is ending up being the slowest growing of the OW peppers... probably because I left it in the pot it had been in all summer without changing the soil. The nutes have been used up, but I'll begin adding them later on down the road... maybe February.
SANY0544_zps833e0f8a.jpg

It may be the smallest, but it's beginning to put out flower buds too.
SANY0547_zps319d5249.jpg

Have a great rest of the weekend all!

Good luck exterminating those aphids Rick. While I don't have issues with aphids right now, it seems like I am constantly spraying for mites. Those little guys love my monzano plant.....

OW plants look great, Rick, they are very hard to kill. I also have aphid-problem...our little friends started to eat one of the ornamental plant of my fiancee. Interesting thing is that my OW peppers are next to that plant, and aphids did not even touch them...strange. (and also good news)
Its good to see that the Manzanos are already sprouting for you, at the time of the year, when I am just planning my next season. :P
Keep posting those nice pics, my friend!

Balázs

nice powders and sauces nice gift to start december brahhh :dance: :dance: ...yea take care of those aphids, protect the mommies, lucky you got manzano sproted...mine never popped even one lol...and my eggplants has this small spots kind of pests i dunno which but i moved it away from my peppers ill be scraping it off when rain stops

Your OWs are looking great, Rick.  I haven't checked the ones I put in the root cellar.  That could be a disaster, but the ones in the front room are doing fine.  Like yours, the nutes are used up.  I'm going to use a very weak liquid solution (on the non-dormant ones) until the first warm days next year, then I'll hit them with some 8/9 month time release.  I used 3/4 month TR this past season and I could really see the peppers falter at the end of the season (and not just because of sun and temperature issues).  Seemed like every time I would use liquid fertilizer, it would rain and flush the pots.  The grass around the pots did very well indeed.

I wonder if Manzano seeds just don't keep as well as other pepper seeds.  That would explain the trouble so many of us have had with germination and your apparent success with fresh seeds.

Jeff H said:
Good luck exterminating those aphids Rick. While I don't have issues with aphids right now, it seems like I am constantly spraying for mites. Those little guys love my monzano plant.....
Good luck to you too Jeff...  give 'em an extra one for me... :evil:

WalkGood said:
Hats off to Miss Annie, great stuff!

I hab no doubt that you will prevail with dat aphid war, keep up da great work Rick :)
That Miz Annie is AOK! Definitely can't wait for the opportunity to try her fixins. :drooling:  I appreciate the good vibes too... we could all use all the help we can get!

HabaneroHead said:
OW plants look great, Rick, they are very hard to kill. I also have aphid-problem...our little friends started to eat one of the ornamental plant of my fiancee. Interesting thing is that my OW peppers are next to that plant, and aphids did not even touch them...strange. (and also good news)
Its good to see that the Manzanos are already sprouting for you, at the time of the year, when I am just planning my next season. :P
Keep posting those nice pics, my friend!

Balázs

Interesting Balázs... what is the plant she's growing? It might be worth it to grow one as a trap crop to keep next to the OW plants...

Do you want any of the seeds I have in my trade list? Now's the time to get them to you so you can start them in time for next year. Pm me if you do my friend!
Pinoy83 said:
nice powders and sauces nice gift to start december brahhh :dance: :dance: ...yea take care of those aphids, protect the mommies, lucky you got manzano sproted...mine never popped even one lol...and my eggplants has this small spots kind of pests i dunno which but i moved it away from my peppers ill be scraping it off when rain stops

Sorry to hear that Jericson... could you post pics of the pests so we can see what you have and how you deal with them? We're all pullin' for ya!
Sawyer said:
Your OWs are looking great, Rick.  I haven't checked the ones I put in the root cellar.  That could be a disaster, but the ones in the front room are doing fine.  Like yours, the nutes are used up.  I'm going to use a very weak liquid solution (on the non-dormant ones) until the first warm days next year, then I'll hit them with some 8/9 month time release.  I used 3/4 month TR this past season and I could really see the peppers falter at the end of the season (and not just because of sun and temperature issues).  Seemed like every time I would use liquid fertilizer, it would rain and flush the pots.  The grass around the pots did very well indeed.

I wonder if Manzano seeds just don't keep as well as other pepper seeds.  That would explain the trouble so many of us have had with germination and your apparent success with fresh seeds.

Thanks for the good vibe Buzz! You took the words right out of my mouth re the Manzanos... I think it's a 2-part answer... They grow and ripen so slowly that I think we pick them a bit too early for viable seed. The other half is that I think most of us that dry the seeds just put them in a shallow dish or paper plate on a windowsill to dry, and they don't get dry enough to prevent fungus and encourage the embryonic plant to go fully dormant. An English seed-saving website recommends taking the seeds to be saved and tying them up in a coffee filter like Ramon's homemade rice dessicant, but the putting the bag into a jar of rice that has been really dried well in a microwave oven and cooled, then put into a jar with a tight-fitting lid. I only dried my seeds in the windowsill, but I planted them relatively quickly afterwards, so they still had enough oomph to sprout fully.

here it is dunno if you can see it clearly

and my most bountful pepper got torn to pieces by it, this morning i saw some spider webs on it and now she looks like this

shes dying fast :mope:and shes the tallest one ranging to 4feet and has the biggest stems and now shes almost doomed, i keep prunning the affected areas now shes almost naked

Devv said:
Rick did you do anything special to get the Manzano's to germ?

So far no luck here.

Besides what I just mentioned... nothing at all different... I just planted in Hoffman seed starter mix, bottom watered well, used a rubber band to keep a piece of cling wrap in place over the top of the 3x3 inch pot and put the pot on top of our gas space heater. When I saw the sprout, I took off the cling wrap and put the seedling in the south-facing kitchen window.

Pinoy83 said:
here it is dunno if you can see it clearly

and my most bountful pepper got torn to pieces by it, this morning i saw some spider webs on it and now she looks like this

shes dying fast :mope:and shes the tallest one ranging to 4feet and has the biggest stems and now shes almost doomed, i keep prunning the affected areas now shes almost naked
Ouch! That sucks! The closeup is blurry enough that I'm not sure, but I think I might have seen some parasites strung out along the leaf veins. I know some aphids release honeydew that grows mold or mildew, which might account for the black spots, but without a clear picture I can't be sure. The webs you saw make me think of spider mites. The ones we have around here are reddish, and I didn't see that on your leaf... do you know if you have different varieties where you are? King DeNNiZ had a bad spider mite infection on his peppers this past year... maybe he can tell you about his experience. Here's a wiki page with more info about them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_mite

what should i use for spidermites?...my pepper plant stop prodcing new leafs, its basically shes like stunted till she dies and she has tons of flowers and buds then next thing i know she start dropping flowers leafs , i wanna spray azamax but we have 3days of rain at the moment, every time i see pests i try to bomb them right away, but if nothing happens i just pull the plant and dump it before it gets to the other plants :mope: :mope: :mope:

Back