• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

From the looks of it (orange bottom) it's a (true) 1 gallon.
I've been using the old stye red bottomed Airpots which were considered 1.5 gallon. The new ones are 2 rows shorter and considered 2 gallons???
I had great results with them. I top water the 1 liters as well as the 1.5 gallons.
Last summer I "dunked" all the 1.5's to saturate them thoroughly a couple times..
I'm using PromixBx and it would tend to to go hydrophobic if I didn't keep it moist... Tough to do in Colorado with avg 20% humidity..
Only drawback to doing the dunk was any nutes that were in the mix would leach out. Which was good as well as bad. Loss of nutes but a good clean out of any built up salts..
I'm really interested to see the results of the airpots with a different growing medium..
I'll definitely be following your progress!

It just keeps getting better today! With the mail I got an envelope from Rawkstah with a couple packets of Rezha pepper seeds and one of Elefant seeds...
SANY0551_zpsa1cceef7.jpg

'Nother envelope from Ausmith with packets of seeds for Vesena and Ochsenhorn peppers from an Austrian organic seedbank called Arche Noah (Noah's ark)...
SANY0552_zpsc1d1dd20.jpg

And the Silver Tuna... Highalt's envelope from the seed swap she graciously hosted this year! I mostly left it to her discretion, and she outdid herself with the return. There were 3 new varieties of SB peppers, 7 new varieties of Baccatums, 8 new varieties of Asian peppers, 8 varieties I'm going to have to google to find out about, a SBJ7 from Slimbob and a dried Yellow Fatali pod from a fellow on the other web forum. Thanks again to a straight-up Gal!
SANY0553_zps728d5c34.jpg

From the looks of it (orange bottom) it's a (true) 1 gallon.
I've been using the old stye red bottomed Airpots which were considered 1.5 gallon. The new ones are 2 rows shorter and considered 2 gallons???
I had great results with them. I top water the 1 liters as well as the 1.5 gallons.
Last summer I "dunked" all the 1.5's to saturate them thoroughly a couple times..
I'm using PromixBx and it would tend to to go hydrophobic if I didn't keep it moist... Tough to do in Colorado with avg 20% humidity..
Only drawback to doing the dunk was any nutes that were in the mix would leach out. Which was good as well as bad. Loss of nutes but a good clean out of any built up salts..
I'm really interested to see the results of the airpots with a different growing medium..
I'll definitely be following your progress!
Thanks for dropping by and sharing Ronin. I appreciate it. Good luck with your grow this year... you're already off to a flying start!

That is an awesome selection of new seeds! Are all of them going in this year?

Plants look great, Rick. With all those new varieties, choosing is going to be even harder ain't it :lol:

Thanks for the kind words guys, but no way am I going to be able to plant all these! Lol... Some I'll bank for future grows, some I'll trade and some I'll plant now. A few of these seeds are heirloom varieties from far-away places that're too hard to find here in the States... like the Vesena, Elefant and Urfa Biber peppers. Bonnie's swaps are (or should be) legendary! Granted I sent in a good selection of seeds, but her return was probably 3 times as much. Cheers to her and the folks who donated seeds!

I think vesena, Rezna, Rezha(the person that gave them to me spelled it this way) are all the same pepper. I think the
Elefant may be different, not sure. I got my seeds from a secret santa swap I was in, so hopefully they grow true.
The skin of these peppers are very rough from the striations. The person that gave me the rezha said they grilled them
in Macedonia. I'm going to dehydrate them to see how the powder will taste. Nice selection of seed you received.

Pretty cool annuum seed selection.

Rick your c.chinense haved really surged on since the last time I stopped here. The airpots seem to do wonders. Will the plants slide right out of those or will you have riggle them out?
Good luck with all those seeds, I find myself doing the same, trying to plant at least one of each variety but extras of my favorites......theres never enough room, especially in my backyard.......some will have to wait til next season.
Today I'm trying to get the annuum seed packs out and ready to go, but theres always some running around to do on the weekend. I wish I could just plant the seeds outdoors in the dirt.....ha Wishful thinking for a "Midwesterner"

Pretty cool annuum seed selection.

Rick your c.chinense haved really surged on since the last time I stopped here. The airpots seem to do wonders. Will the plants slide right out of those or will you have riggle them out?

Hi Greg, The airpots are wrapped around a flat base and pinned at the top with that blue plastic thumbscrew. To take the airpot apart you just undo the thumbscrew and unwrap the outside piece. No fuss, no muss...

Good luck with all those seeds, I find myself doing the same, trying to plant at least one of each variety but extras of my favorites......theres never enough room, especially in my backyard.......some will have to wait til next season.
Today I'm trying to get the annuum seed packs out and ready to go, but theres always some running around to do on the weekend. I wish I could just plant the seeds outdoors in the dirt.....ha Wishful thinking for a "Midwesterner"

Ya, same here in New England... last frost date is around May 15th. Cheers

I think vesena, Rezna, Rezha(the person that gave them to me spelled it this way) are all the same pepper. I think the
Elefant may be different, not sure. I got my seeds from a secret santa swap I was in, so hopefully they grow true.
The skin of these peppers are very rough from the striations. The person that gave me the rezha said they grilled them
in Macedonia. I'm going to dehydrate them to see how the powder will taste. Nice selection of seed you received.
Thanks Linda, you know me... it's all about the taste, and I'll go a ways to find it. I've never grown the rezha peppers before, but I hear that they're both sweet and hot, with a very rough skin like you say. They have to be roasted to get the skin off like a Poblano. Some people freeze them whole and roast and peel them as needed, and they say this assists in getting the skin off. We'll see...

Sweet score on some cool varieties! Looking forward to the history lessons surrounding them...always history behind heirlooms!
Hi Shane
The Rezha pepper (or Vesena, or Tigerpfefferoni) is a Balkan pepper. Some of what I've read says it comes from Macedonia, but not everybody agrees with that. I think roper2008 has grown them for at least a couple of years and can tell you more about how it tastes.

Hey hey hey Christmas time at casa Stickman - Nice!
Thanks Lourens
Hey all you chile-heads! Just a heads-up... Tonight is the full moon, and the Vernal Equinox will happen a week before the next one! After that, the angle of the sun should be more favorable and the weather should start to warm up in earnest. Woo Hoo! :woohoo: :dance:

Thanks Lourens
Hey all you chile-heads! Just a heads-up... Tonight is the full moon, and the Vernal Equinox will happen a week before the next one! After that, the angle of the sun should be more favorable and the weather should start to warm up in earnest. Woo Hoo! :woohoo: :dance:
Good news for you and not for us down south, lol. Not all of us want it to warm up too much, saves me $$$$ not to run the AC :D

Hmmm.... maybe they're the ones second to the right? ;) They're looking a little yellow though. You might want to give them a little diluted seaweed extract and a foliar spray of Epsom Salt and water. A tablespoon of Epsom Salts to a quart of water aught to be enough. Good on ya Bill!

Out of curiousity... what do you have next to them?

Good news for you and not for us down south, lol. Not all of us want it to warm up too much, saves me $$$$ not to run the AC :D
Heck, it's not our fault your chiles languish during the summer... we even give you a 2 month head start! He he ;)

It's not a bad problem to have, but it's a dilemma when you don't have space to plant more chiles and you get more great varieties from people... Like today, when I checked the mail and found a letter from Hammerfall with some 7-pot Primo seeds he got from Primo, and a Nasty looking "Morouglah" Hybrid. I've got a feeling that next year's grow is gonna have some screaming-hot chiles!
SANY0560_zps20c36ada.jpg

... ... Heck, it's not our fault your chiles languish during the summer... we even give you a 2 month head start! He he ;) ... ...
lol, my chilies don't languish during summer, I get my biggest pods then ... I was complaining about the electric bill from having to run AC to keep the heat out, hehe

Took a look under the clear dome on the seedling flats and spotted a radicle on a Red Rocoto seed that had worked its way to the surface. Re-buried the seed so it could hopefully develop normally. Also saw a tail from some Magnum Orange Habaneros I started with seed from High Mowing Seed co up in Vermont. They've got great seeds, and they try to keep a good selection of veggies that do well up here in New England. Heck, this is even before any of the Annuums!
SANY0561_zps7dc4017a.jpg

Great to hear you may actually get a pube to pop! Man...gotta be hard to pass on Primos for a whole year! If I have clean plants this year I will send you a couple nicely ripened pods from my Manzanos...then maybe next year you can get a couple to pop for you. I like the orange and yellows better than the reds...but they're all good!

Great to hear you may actually get a pube to pop! Man...gotta be hard to pass on Primos for a whole year! If I have clean plants this year I will send you a couple nicely ripened pods from my Manzanos...then maybe next year you can get a couple to pop for you. I like the orange and yellows better than the reds...but they're all good!
If I started the Primos now, they'd be 7 weeks behind the others... maybe it's for the best. I don't think I've eaten one yet, so I can't miss them can I?
I appreciate the offer of fresh seeds my friend! If I can get all my Urfa Biber seeds to sprout, my fallback position is to trade some of the seedlings to seanw for a couple of the Rocotos he started. Cheers

Back