• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Seeing as how my Douglahs and one of my Jamaican Hot Chocolates were looking yellowish, I took my own advice and did a foliar spray with Epsom Salts and water yesterday. The results were in this morning... definitely greener I think!

They definitely look the right shade of green to me! Very nice looking plants, and great leaf development.

Thanks Caroline... Has Lourens 'pressed you into service processing his chiles? :fireball:

Came home from work tonight and found my first Annuum hook. It was from some of the seeds Hababerohead sent me from Hungary, so we're back to the beginning on this one!
SANY0566_zpsf4059343.jpg

I've got to report for jury duty tomorrow, so no contact with the internet or my babies until I get home tomorrow...

Checked the flats this morning and saw 3 hooks in my Gochus... :dance:

Do your duty Rick! I have been called twice...and selected twice...and jury foreman twice. Lol...
Oh, I'll show up, but don't think I'll be there past noon. We have to fill out a questionaire to hand in, and they ask if I have any family members in law enforcement and/or corrections, and if I've ever been on the receiving end of crime. The answer to both is yes... multiple times. I expect the defense attorney to boot me during the empaneling procedures... That's Massachusetts...

Oh man, screw jury duty!
I'd avoid it by any means, which reminds me...

I love the episode of curb your enthusiasm where he's trying to dodge jury duty

"I can't be an
impartial jury member because the
defendant is a negro "

It's hilarious. He's not racist, but doesn't wanna be there. It comes back to haunt him later.
Love that show!

I'm not sure if it's a legal requirement in the UK.. And I'm sure the Japanese court system will call on me for it here. ;)

Checked the flats this morning and saw 3 hooks in my Gochus... :dance:

Oh, I'll show up, but don't think I'll be there past noon. We have to fill out a questionaire to hand in, and they ask if I have any family members in law enforcement and/or
corrections, and if I've ever been on the receiving end of crime. The answer to both is yes... multiple times. I expect the defense attorney to boot me during the empaneling procedures... That's Massachusetts...
Lol...My answers are what get me agreed upon by both sides...
Ever been the victim of a crime...Yes
Ever been arrested...Yes
Ever been in law enforcment...Yes
Any family members in law enforcment...Yes
Ever been been convicted of an alcohol related offense...Which time???
Oh...and the last time...ever accidentally left a store without paying for goods...Yes

Had just happened the week prior. We were shopping and my daughter just had to have this new book. She grabbed it as we proceeded to shop. Got done, walked out...Kait, did we pay for that book you're holdiing??? She screamed the threw it on the ground... :rofl: We went back in to pay for it. That trial lasted three freaking days..for a shoplifter! She was a pro and was accused of stealing several hundred dollars worth of stuff from a department store...with her grand daughter in the cart, most of which was caught on tape. During deliberations in spite of all the video evidence presented there were still folks that wanted to find not guilty...California.

Hope yours went well today!
Shane

Ya know stickman, that Caroline the Reaper is supposed to be choppin dem chillies and she spends her time on the net tsk tsk!
I guess she must have picked the lock on the chains holding her to the stove... you go girl! :rofl:

Seriously, it must be nice to share that with her... I get lots of low-level grumbling at home about how much time and money I spend on my chiles. She eats the powder though...

LOL. I was called twice, and relieved twice. They don't much like opinionated people on the jury.

Oh man, screw jury duty!
I'd avoid it by any means...

Lol...My answers are what get me agreed upon by both sides...

I think you nailed it Shane... I ended up empaneled on the jury in an assault/witness intimidation trial. We sat around the table until 2:30 because the woman who made the complaint didn't show up to testify. When they finally located her, she invoked her 5th amendment rights and didn't want to continue with the proceedings. The whole case revolved around her testimony, so the judge had to dismiss it. Though I can't say for sure, it sounds like she didn't want to incriminate herself for false witness. Having done my civic duty, I'm off the hook for the next 3 years.

On to more pleasant topics... I have another Gochu hook this morning. Checked the readout on the heat mat thermostat, and it was down to 67.4... WTF! Checked, and found that the heat mat plug was mostly out of the socket in the thermostat. Plugged it all back in, and hopefully this show is back on the road...

Must be a Florida thing but they really don't like Military or former military people on juries. I think it has something to do with the way we believe in doing our duty and willingness to convict when all the evidence shows guility. Last time I was there I just enjoyed a quite day of Movies and quite reading time.

Plants are looking great Rick
:)

Just got back from the local farmer's co-op after returning the 15 watt LED spotlight I bought a few months back. This was the one I got... http://www.sunshine-...t-p/gs-spot.htm
It was sitting on my shelf until I needed it this week... Was screwing it into the Edison socket of a drop light and didn't understand at first why it seemed to be turning for quite a long time... The base came apart from the outer housing and the insulation on the wiring inside cracked and shorted. This is a cheaply made piece of crap with an original pricetag of $85! Fortunately I still had the receipt, and I used the money I got back to buy a couple of 32 watt 6500k CFLs, three 5 gallon Airpots and a 5 gallon Dirt Pot. Now when I up-pot the chiles in the 3 liter Airpots and gallon sized Dirt Pot, I won't have to change pots again unless I have to wash out the roots and repot.

Had one of the Koreans come up without cots, so I had to pull that one up, but still got 3 more tails and one of the Hungarian Sweet Paprikas...
SANY0567_zpscb323484.jpg

A shot of whimsy... A Cooper's Hawk in the Maple tree outside our sliding glass door. I think it's an adolescent that still hasn't got the hang of this hunting thing, but was attracted by the birds at our feeder station...
SANY0565_zpse1457b6c.jpg

That's quite expensive for only a 15watt LED, over here they are cheaper but they don't give the same result in growth as the CFL's I've been using. Good luck with the rest of your Annuums, when did you sowed them? Your Gochu and Chimayo already germinated after 4 days here :)

Great job on keeping track of you receipt on the light. Wish I could do that more often.

Dig the pic of the coopers hawk. Caught one chasing a bird in my back yard last spring and was able to film him eating it in a neighbors tree.

That's quite expensive for only a 15watt LED, over here they are cheaper but they don't give the same result in growth as the CFL's I've been using. Good luck with the rest of your Annuums, when did you sowed them? Your Gochu and Chimayo already germinated after 4 days here :)
Hi Stefan
Glad to hear you've started your grow this year, good luck with it! I started getting hooks in my Annuums after 6 days, so pretty much like your results. I'm having some trouble keeping the seed heat mat temperature constant and I'm not sure why. It worked fine when I first set it up, but it's tending to stay low at the moment... around the mid 70s (23 C).

I think you're right about the LEDs... 15 watts just isn't enough for healthy plants, and the CFLs I've been using are making for some very happy chiles! Sometime down the road the LEDs may become a better bargain, but for now they're too expensive and their light output needs to be tuned to what the plants need before they become really useful. I'll take some convincing before I'll try them again.

Great job on keeping track of you receipt on the light. Wish I could do that more often.

Dig the pic of the coopers hawk. Caught one chasing a bird in my back yard last spring and was able to film him eating it in a neighbors tree.
Thanks Patrick, as much money as I put down on that d&#% light, it was gonna hafta produce or it was outa there!

It wasn't the best shot of the Cooper's Hawk since my camera doesn't do telephoto, but it was cool seeing it so close by. We've had at least 2 visit the spot. One adult, and the juvenile shown. Junior chases the birds, but in an ineffective way so far... I saw it standing on the ground next to a bush with some Juncos in it. They faced off for a minute or so, then the Juncos took off and junior took off after them but couldn't keep up... the smaller birds are faster fliers from a dead stop then the bigger one.

That Caroline the Reaper is a keeper! Shes like a White Habanero with pink stripes. Rare and hard to find. She has delved head long into my Chillihead nonsense and then some. She has supported me through thick and thin on weekend and every day of the week. She has watered, weeded, planted, seeded... taken interest, shown interest and done all this under the blazing african sun. Countless number of sun burns later, she has taste tested the mildest and the hottest and then some. I was previosuly married and my ex let me do nuthin'. I have been there, done that and got the T-Shirt, which I now keep at the back of my closet. It's special having a partner who shows an interest and shares the passion, even if it is just capsaicin on finger tips when you least expected :D A salute to all those supporting women heads who chilli their men... I mean chillihead supporting women who head their men... oh heck - chillihead women who support their chillihead men :D :D

I guess she must have picked the lock on the chains holding her to the stove... you go girl! :rofl:

Seriously, it must be nice to share that with her... I get lots of low-level grumbling at home about how much time and money I spend on my chiles. She eats the powder though...

I think you nailed it Shane... I ended up empaneled on the jury in an assault/witness intimidation trial. We sat around the table until 2:30 because the woman who made the complaint didn't show up to testify. When they finally located her, she invoked her 5th amendment rights and didn't want to continue with the proceedings. The whole case revolved around her testimony, so the judge had to dismiss it. Though I can't say for sure, it sounds like she didn't want to incriminate herself for false witness. Having done my civic duty, I'm off the hook for the next 3 years.

On to more pleasant topics... I have another Gochu hook this morning. Checked the readout on the heat mat thermostat, and it was down to 67.4... WTF! Checked, and found that the heat mat plug was mostly out of the socket in the thermostat. Plugged it all back in, and hopefully this show is back on the road...
That Caroline the Reaper is a keeper! Shes like a White Habanero with pink stripes. Rare and hard to find. She has delved head long into my Chillihead nonsense and then some. She has supported me through thick and thin on weekend and every day of the week. She has watered, weeded, planted, seeded... taken interest, shown interest and done all this under the blazing african sun. Countless number of sun burns later, she has taste tested the mildest and the hottest and then some. I was previosuly married and my ex let me do nuthin'. I have been there, done that and got the T-Shirt, which I now keep at the back of my closet. It's special having a partner who shows an interest and shares the passion, even if it is just capsaicin on finger tips when you least expected :D A salute to all those supporting women heads who chilli their men... I mean chillihead supporting women who head their men... oh heck - chillihead women who support their chillihead men :D :D

Aaaaw shucks guys, you've got me choked up and beaming like I've just swallowed a Butch T Trinidad Scorpion!
There's nothing nicer than spending time with my man, especially when he takes his shirt off in the heat of our African sun.
That's hotter and tastier than any chilli he's ever had! (oh my, did it just get hotter out here, baby?) :fireball:

Though I must admit to some low-level grumblin myself, like when I had the hiccoughs for half an hour after tasting the golden habas! I even stamped my foot the other day and said: Let's go already... (shock horror).

So thank you, it feels really wonderful to be appreciated. :D

Stickman, I think it's awesome to have Jury Duty, and to do it without a grumble. :clap: I studied your systems after I lived over there, and truly admire the level of democracy you have access to, if you choose to use it. I might be opening a can of worms here, but I wish more Americans would exercise the rights they take for granted. Those Founding Fathers were men of immense vision! I hope and pray SA oneday finds its way to a real democracy.

As for dem chillies, I like to see the Hungarian strain is peeking out already. Keep the heat up on all your little ones!

Ciao for now!

Back