• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Looking great Rick - I am loving all the pics. I wish my transplants were that big and hearty. And your hoop houses look as fantastic as your plants!

Hey Rick, it's great to see you patrolling again.

Looking forward to see pics of those monster plants :)
Thanks Robert, I look forward to checking in with you on the Chinense varieties in a little while. :)

Nice to see things finally move forward, Rick! Makes me even more impatience to when to start with my own plant out :lol:
Hi Stefan, I'd be itching to go if I were in your place... ;) Have you got your beds prepped and ready to plant out?

Hey Rick,

Glad to see everything is hitting the dirt, plants are looking great!

Love that Peruvian Purple! That one leaf in front looks as big as my foot!
Thanks Scott, Did you finally get that cold they predicted, or did you dodge the bullet? The Peruvian Purple is still only a couple of inches tall... that leaf is only 4 inches long, but it looks really happy to be outside! :dance:

Looking great Rick - I am loving all the pics. I wish my transplants were that big and hearty. And your hoop houses look as fantastic as your plants!
Thanks Stephen, Glad you like them. How are things in the Bay area?

Dawn patrol is BACK!!! Looking good so far brother! Won't be too long now until the training wheels come off and they really fly!

Thanks Stephen, Glad you like them. How are things in the Bay area?

Doing ok, thanks! I prepared for cool and windy and we got a mini heatwave instead. Instead of mid 60's day and high 40's night, it has been high 80's day and mid 40's night. Have not lost anybody yet, but I don't think I have a single plant without sunscald. These are gonna be tough little peppers (though maybe not as tough as your frost-defying Aji).

Doing ok, thanks! I prepared for cool and windy and we got a mini heatwave instead. Instead of mid 60's day and high 40's night, it has been high 80's day and mid 40's night. Have not lost anybody yet, but I don't think I have a single plant without sunscald. These are gonna be tough little peppers (though maybe not as tough as your frost-defying Aji).
Good on ya Steve!

I decided to pinch off most of the side leaves on the potted peppers with the exception of the Criolla Sella.
SANY0747_zps18955fa2.jpg

Looking closer, I saw that I have a pod starting on the Douglah
SANY0749_zps941656a0.jpg

And flowers on the Maya Red Habanero
SANY0750_zpsfe316069.jpg

Those Aji's are something else aren't they? I've never grown them before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. They sure came out of the gate at a fast gallop and there's no question that they'll get ripe before the other varieties. I'm curious about which one will ripen first. The Criolla Sella started podding up a few weeks before the Omnicolor, but the Omnicolor isn't quite as prolific and has smaller pods. Also, the Omnicolor is outside in a hoophouse and the Criolla Sella is inside under artificial lights. I wonder if I should get a pool going on which one will ripen first?

The Criolla Sella
SANY0751_zpscb9a8087.jpg

The Omnicolor
SANY0752_zps6addc9b6.jpg

Hi Stefan, I'd be itching to go if I were in your place... ;) Have you got your beds prepped and ready to plant out?

No, I still haven't. I was still waiting on some materials for the tunnel I ordered, those came in today. So I got everything ready to finish it now and place the poly, but my schedule is already full with other commitments :lol: so it will need to wait another week I'm afraid. I'm not gonna do beds this year because it's to much extra work. The goal is to plant out the third week of May.

No, I still haven't. I was still waiting on some materials for the tunnel I ordered, those came in today. So I got everything ready to finish it now and place the poly, but my schedule is already full with other commitments :lol: so it will need to wait another week I'm afraid. I'm not gonna do beds this year because it's to much extra work. The goal is to plant out the third week of May.
Well, at least you have a plan and the materials in hand... you never know what may come up to allow you to finish sooner than expected!

Well, at least you have a plan and the materials in hand... you never know what may come up to allow you to finish sooner than expected!

Absolutely, Rick :D At least the weather have been great since last week, lot's of sun, although some rain would be nice now since the ground is very dry... typical farmers complaining ;)

Thanks Scott, Did you finally get that cold they predicted, or did you dodge the bullet? The Peruvian Purple is still only a couple of inches tall... that leaf is only 4 inches long, but it looks really happy to be outside! :dance:

We dodged the cold bullet, it got down to 45. And the forecasts look good. The wind was pretty bad despite the wind breaks, I had to stake a few peppers that blew over and about 20% of the tomatoes were on their side. The corn looks like the leaning tower of Pisa but should straighten up.

Thanks for asking!

Absolutely, Rick :D At least the weather have been great since last week, lot's of sun, although some rain would be nice now since the ground is very dry... typical farmers complaining ;)
;)

We dodged the cold bullet, it got down to 45. And the forecasts look good. The wind was pretty bad despite the wind breaks, I had to stake a few peppers that blew over and about 20% of the tomatoes were on their side. The corn looks like the leaning tower of Pisa but should straighten up.

Thanks for asking!
I hear ya bro'.. Wind is a real pain in the patookus until they get woody stems. I lost a Poblano last year that was almost 3 feet tall and loaded with pods. It was so top-heavy that a wind squall snapped it off flush with the ground. I'm glad to hear everything pulled through!

I got a much-awaited package from PeriPeri in South Africa yesterday! He sent seeds for his King Naga Jalokia and a lot of extras. Thanks Lourens... you rock guy!
SANY0753_zps3762cee4.jpg

It's been a busy weekend around the "ranch"... In addition to planting out the Brassicas and root crops I put on an addition to my cheapjack composter made of U posts and wooden pallets. It may not be pretty but it does the job...
SANY0754_zps8c4df45e.jpg

laid down compost around the Rhubarb and flowering shrubs in the yard and moved the Garlic Chives in the perennial herb bed to along the fenceline in back to try to repel the moles and/or chipmunks that have been tunneling underneath where we plant things to grow up the fence. The little bastiges ate the roots on the Scarlet Runner Beans we planted there last summer, and I see new tunnels there now.

Sweet score! Jealous of Lourens' King Nagas! They looked amazing.
Weather looks killers there. Dig your compost bin. I have struggled with different things, down to a pill now that i just turn frequently. Hope you can keep the chipmunk at bay!

After skimming through, I have to say, nice glog and it looks like you're on the fast track to an awesome season!

Sorry if this has been mentioned and I missed it, but did the salt petre seem to have a noticeable effect on germination rates?

Thanks for all the good wishes folks! It's 32 degrees outside this morning, and if the extended forecast can be believed, the overnight lows for the next week are supposed to be in the mid 40's. I'll watch for a few days to see if they're right, and swap out the sheet poly on the hoophouses for agricultural fabric if so. Agribon 19 fabric will still hold a bit of heat, but will let through any rain that comes... That's what I'm waiting for now! Warm spring rains make for the biggest growth spurts.
Nice score form Peri Peri! Sorry to hear about the critters, I had a young Rattler show up under the Maties this afternoon. Not cool!
Very uncool finding a rattler in your garden! Where's that Unlike button... We have Timber Rattlers and Copperheads
here, but they almost never show up in residential areas. They prefer rough terrain with lots of rocks to sun themselves on and hide under. Piles of scree at the base of south-facing rock faces are a favorite home for them.
Sweet score! Jealous of Lourens' King Nagas! They looked amazing.
Weather looks killers there. Dig your compost bin. I have struggled with different things, down to a pill now that i just turn frequently. Hope you can keep the chipmunk at bay!
I know J... Lourens pics and description of the heat and flavor had me drooling! I was really glad he agreed to part with a few seeds. I've never grown Frutascens peppers... I'll have to give some of his Peri-Peri seeds a try next year too.
After skimming through, I have to say, nice glog and it looks like you're on the fast track to an awesome season!

Sorry if this has been mentioned and I missed it, but did the salt petre seem to have a noticeable effect on germination rates?
Hi Taylor, welcome to the zoo! I think the saltpeter solution is useful for softening the seed coats when germinating. Some seeds have really tough seed coats and need the help, like Morning Glories. In peppers I think it's mostly useful in reducing helmet-head in seedlings and making it easier for older seed that's less vigorous to germinate. Here in Massachusetts it's really difficult to find saltpeter, and after the Boston Marathon bombings I expect it'll be even more so. If you want to increase germination percentages I think you'll want to look into Gibberellic acid to assist in breaking dormancy in the seeds.
fantastic Rick. Plants look wonderfully happy. :onfire:
Hi Pia, have things warmed up yet in Jersey?
Nothing ghetto about that setup! Looks fuctional, practical...and my favorite...FREE!

Looking good Rick! You've come a long way from no supers at the beginning of last year!
Thanks Shane. If you'd have said Junkie I think my wife would agree with you, lol! ;)
Hey Rick - :) Glad you got the seeds! Awesome composter man and cleverly. Practical and free - I like!

Plants are looking great... Awesome stems and loads of leaves and pods coming up... I think they are just going to rocket when they hit that dirt!
Thanks again for the seeds Lourens! I'm gonna have to wait until next year to plant the Naga King chiles, but it's definitely gonna happen! :drooling:

Things are moving forward despite the cold overnight temps... I have flowers on a few more Annuums.

Jalapeno Zapotec
SANY0755_zps1ce5ce07.jpg

Almapaprika
SANY0757_zpsf47f70b9.jpg

And the first pod on the Koreans
SANY0760_zpsa470216a.jpg

It got a little dry in there until the condo association got their act together and set up the hoses for irrigation. Between that and mild sunscald some of the peppers are looking a little rocky, but the new growth is all solid now, and they're looking much happier, as shown by the Scotch Bonnet and Butch T. I got in trade from SeanW.

Butch T
SANY0761_zpsb1902c64.jpg

Scotch Bonnet
SANY0762_zpsc1d40e25.jpg

Interestingly enough, one of the Chilhuacle Negro plants is variegated with white like a Fish Pepper. It'll be interesting to see if it carries through to the pods as well.
SANY0758_zps8024525c.jpg

Cheers All... have a great week!

Back