• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Had to catch up for a couple of pages but love all the hoophouse shots. My money is on the Omni as well for first ripened Baccatum. I too have read that the Aji Panca is a chinense. Anyway, it's all looking great!

Those little omnicolors will show their true beauty once they get some full sun...Everything's looking good. Looks as though you may have gotten a little sunburn on some leaves???

Had to catch up for a couple of pages but love all the hoophouse shots. My money is on the Omni as well for first ripened Baccatum. I too have read that the Aji Panca is a chinense. Anyway, it's all looking great!
Hi Doc, and thanks for the kind words.
That's two for the Omnicolor! I've read that the Aji Panca is either a Chinense or a Baccatum, depending on the source. I don't know enough about the taxonomy of peppers to weigh in on it. I'm curious to see what they taste like fresh though.

Those little omnicolors will show their true beauty once they get some full sun...Everything's looking good. Looks as though you may have gotten a little sunburn on some leaves???
Yeah... there's a few crispy leaves for sure. It took the condo association 2 weeks to get its collective thumb out and set up the irrigation system this spring. I had to carry a couple 2 gallon watering cans about 100 meters each way until the hose got set up, and the plants weren't getting quite enough water for a little while there. I made sure they got enough water this weekend, and they look a lot happier now.

Super cool to receive some of Lourens South African seeds!!! Plants all looking great, sad to read about tunneling pestages … can you trap dem? If not what’s the solution. BTW great to see all the early pods, you soon be swimming in dem \o/

Super cool to receive some of Lourens South African seeds!!! Plants all looking great, sad to read about tunneling pestages … can you trap dem? If not what’s the solution. BTW great to see all the early pods, you soon be swimming in dem \o/
Thanks Ramon, I'm thinking this year will be a great one if we get enough rain. Definitely looking forward to growing the Naga King chiles next year... his description of them literally had me drooling!
I can get killing traps that take out whatever uses the tunnel they're set up over, or I can rely on the old pellet rifle if I'm discrete about it, but my first line of defense is to plant Garlic Chives along the fence. From what I've read, the moles and chipmunks don't like the taste and/or smell and it repels them. Cheers!

Plants are hanging in there! I know it's a little hard on them at first, but with your setup I have confidence that they will kick into high gear real soon.

Did some re-reading and the compost site is cool! Anything that you can do for the cheap and that works is a major plus.

Hope the weather holds for you.

Plants are hanging in there! I know it's a little hard on them at first, but with your setup I have confidence that they will kick into high gear real soon.

Did some re-reading and the compost site is cool! Anything that you can do for the cheap and that works is a major plus.

Hope the weather holds for you.
Thanks Scott, they're starting to revv up now, but the best is yet to come... Went out to button up the hoophouses before it got dark and found some more blossoms.

Chinese 5-Color
SANY0763_zpsc65dc299.jpg

The other Yellow 7
SANY0764_zps733ef3be.jpg

and the remaining Jamaican Hot Chocolate
SANY0765_zpsc31e6c09.jpg

Bloom-o-rama! Man, oh, man, your garden is on fire.

Your Chinese 5 Colors look exactly like mine except yours have flowers...purple flowers no less. I've been staring at my little beauties for over 2 months now and they don't look like any of my other annuums - they never wilt and they have those waxy leaves. Now I find out they have purple flowers...are they really annuums?

Hi Stephen
Yeah, they're Annuums... Here's a pic from thechileman.org
There's lots of info on the chile database there.
Chinese%205%20Color%20Flower_1.jpg

Beautiful stalk on dat JA Choco Hab ...
Thanks Ramon! I've been so busy outside that I haven't had a chance to catch up on everybody's glogs. Once everything's up and mulched in the garden things should slow down a bit. I'm looking forward to getting some fishing in too... this is the best trout fishing season until autumn rolls around.

Hey Rick,

Any idea if it's possible to direct sow plants while using solar mulch or landscape fabric? The only thing I can think of doing is to cut a hole and plant the seed in the hole, makes planting to thin a bit wonky, though

Hey Rick,

Any idea if it's possible to direct sow plants while using solar mulch or landscape fabric? The only thing I can think of doing is to cut a hole and plant the seed in the hole, makes planting to thin a bit wonky, though
I don't see why it wouldn't work Sean... just punch a hole in the mulch that's big enough, and plant several seeds in the soil under the hole. Thin as needed. The other thing is, wind blowing over he mulch makes it rise and fall, so I'd fasten it down firmly with a sod staple next to the hole so the edges won't rub against tender seedlings.

Glad to see all the flowers, Rick. Have you noticed any vertical growth since the plants got put in-ground, or are they still figuring out their new surroundings?

Love the Chinese 5-color. It is probably one of my favorite overall varieties, especially for the cool and unique factors.

Things are still looking great stickman. I love your hoophouse - I have been trying to figure out how to do a little hoophouse over my 8x4 bed but haven't figured out how to work around the fence.

Back