• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

This cold snap is highly irritating. Its only going to get to like 25 F tomorrow
Count your blessings... you could live in Caribou, Maine where it's currently -5 degrees, and will get down to around -20 degrees tonight before climbing back up to a high of around -4 degrees tomorrow... Have you gotten back on an even keel where you live after the hurricane last fall?

Rick, thanks for the Kapija seeds! We were out of town and had our mail held. They got here today. I'll probably soak them tomorrow and sow them on Thursday.

Well sort of. The recoup of all the food and stuff that was lost around xmas time really sucked. I am looking forward to income tax time I can tell you that much. Although with the dummies in Washington I might owe instead of get a refund for the first year ever.

Thats why to visit Maine in the summer is a must. To live there year round is a NO NO!!!!!

Rick, thanks for the Kapija seeds! We were out of town and had our mail held. They got here today. I'll probably soak them tomorrow and sow them on Thursday.
Good enough Doc, I'll be curious how they do for you... I planted the Kurtovska Kapija and so far have 13/15 seeds sprouted. I think I gave you seeds for the hybrid Kapija which has a shorter season. I'll be planting a few of them next month. Cheers

Thats why to visit Maine in the summer is a must. To live there year round is a NO NO!!!!!

Why do you think they call them Mainiacs?...

I see you're growing the maya red hab, have you grown this one before?
Hi SG, thanks for dropping in.
I haven't grown Maya Red Habs before, but I got a chance to try some last August. They seem to have the same heat and flavor as the Orange Habs I grew then, but more pods and fewer days to maturity. Living up north like I do, that got my attention.

Comparing last year's germinations with this year's, I haven't had any "helmet head" this time around. Perhaps soaking in a weak saltpeter solution helped, but I also broke germination in moistened coffee filters so I could see progress right away without digging up the seeds, and I planted them under a minimum of a quarter inch of soil so the seedling could more easily scrub the seed coat off on the way to the surface.

Looking good, Rick! With your heat mats, you've pulled ahead of me already.

Even though I am having better luck than you on the Manzanos, I'm still waiting on my Jamaican Hot Chocolates to sprout. The seed was a trade, and the date on the packet was 2010, so maybe I should have sown a couple extra. If I don't see a hook in the next day or two, I may drop a couple more seeds in the plugs.

Those seedlings are looking amazing hopefully you control the fungus gnat issue I have been dealing with that through the winter here. Wow 16 and 3 degrees no thanks we are just getting pass the cold here. Amazing work brother and I hope things keep looking up for you.

Hi Fernando! Thanks for checking in! Actually, with the windchill it's minus 7 outside right now. Still better than those Mainiacs eh?

My wife and I put down the Mosquito Bits in all the potted plants in the house. I'm going to have to do the potato cube test next week to make sure it's taking care of the little bastiges in her plants. I'll let you know how it works out if you're interested.

Things are definitely looking up at this end...
SANY0409_zps4660a734.jpg

I'm going to have to separate out the extras and either find them homes or pitch 'em.

Latest results from the germination stakes...

Yellow 7............................. 3/5
Douglah............................ 4/5
Hot Paper Lantern............ 1/5
Maya Red Habanero......... 3/5
Jamaican Hot Chocolate....1/5
Aji Omnicolor..................... 2/10
Aji Criolla Sella.................. 1/5
Kurtovska Kapija............... 13/15
Manzano Amarillo.............. 0/12

I had to pull up one of the Omnicolor seedlings since it came up without any cots and will start 7 more Manzano seeds.

Aside from the manzanos the germ rates are great. Did you plant extras, or are you planning on putting all of those seedlings into the ground?

Hi SG, thanks for dropping in.
I haven't grown Maya Red Habs before, but I got a chance to try some last August. They seem to have the same heat and flavor as the Orange Habs I grew then, but more pods and fewer days to maturity. Living up north like I do, that got my attention.

Comparing last year's germinations with this year's, I haven't had any "helmet head" this time around. Perhaps soaking in a weak saltpeter solution helped, but I also broke germination in moistened coffee filters so I could see progress right away without digging up the seeds, and I planted them under a minimum of a quarter inch of soil so the seedling could more easily scrub the seed coat off on the way to the surface.

Okay, well I made a cross of this pepper with a bhut carbon, I have a bunch of seed and I'm not growing it myself, so if you want to give it a try, just PM me...

Aside from the manzanos the germ rates are great. Did you plant extras, or are you planning on putting all of those seedlings into the ground?
Hi Stefan
I'd heard that the superhots could be hard to germinate, and the seeds I collected from pods were an unknown quantity, so I planted extras to make sure I'd have enough make it through until spring. I'll keep one or two of each variety and give away the rest. Do you think you'll be heading down our way in April?...

Okay, well I made a cross of this pepper with a bhut carbon, I have a bunch of seed and I'm not growing it myself, so if you want to give it a try, just PM me...
Thanks for the offer SG, but I'll take a pass for now. Sounds like an interesting cross though. :D

Nice update Rick, hard to uproot those babies and toss them eh? I will be doing the same over the next week and already found myself trying to save one before I slapped myself and tossed it.
Hi Chris
You said it my man! Once you've coaxed them to life it's hard to let go of them.

Looking good, Rick! With your heat mats, you've pulled ahead of me already.

Even though I am having better luck than you on the Manzanos, I'm still waiting on my Jamaican Hot Chocolates to sprout. The seed was a trade, and the date on the packet was 2010, so maybe I should have sown a couple extra. If I don't see a hook in the next day or two, I may drop a couple more seeds in the plugs.

Thanks Bonnie! You look to be doing very well yourself! I hope you don't have to deal with as many weather extremes this year and you have a bumper crop.

Hi Stefan
I'd heard that the superhots could be hard to germinate, and the seeds I collected from pods were an unknown quantity, so I planted extras to make sure I'd have enough make it through until spring. I'll keep one or two of each variety and give away the rest. Do you think you'll be heading down our way in April?...

Travel is not in our immediate future, but thanks for the offer! I usually grow one or two extras of each variety just in case, so I was wondering how you handle it. I found that I never need the extra, so the always end up as donations, which you seem to do as well. Pepper people are such generous folks :)

Another Kurtovxka Kapija hooked up last night, so I'm at 14/15 with them and I have as many as I'm going to for the Chinense and Baccatum varieties. I'll start my onions from seed in about 2 weeks, and my Annuums and early greens in about 4. I'm going to have to do something about splitting up my multiples this weekend before it gets crowded in the Solo cups.

Rick, Doc says “looking good,” and I say you’re kicking Azz and taking no prisoners! Dam you have 2 or 3 per cup and I’m still sitting my ass on stillbirth eggs ;)

Thanks Ramon
I separated out the multiples of the Chinense and Baccatums tonight, so each chile gets its own cup. I'll do the same for the Kurtovska Kapija tomorrow.
SANY0410_zpse4ad0c06.jpg

Just checked in on my babies before going to bed, and I see another hook in my Jamaican Hot Chocolate cup... making that variety 2/5.

Looking nice there Rick.

What Annuums are you looking at growing this season. Do you have a definitive list yet or is it something you are still mulling over??

Back