• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2017 Minimalist Glog

Devv said:
Right on schedule there with the Bonnets! ;)

Thanks Scott, I'm starting to get antsy... :P

Trident chilli said:
Rick the Scotch Brain will be a bumpy prickly yellow .... you won't be disappointed

Cheers John, I'm really looking forward to it!

Looking at the calendar I see my season is six weeks in since I sowed my first-round seeds, and here are the results.

Randy's Bhut-Scorpion cross
0304170641.jpg
0304170642.jpg

Aji Oro
0304170642a.jpg

Giant Yellow CARDI Scorpion
0304170643.jpg
0304170643a.jpg

Piment Capri
0304170643b.jpg
0304170644.jpg

I see my first flower bud at the fork of the Aji Oro just starting for the bonus. :dance:

randyp said:
I had 2  seeds from a Scotch bonnet you sent me last year pop.I will get pics up this weekend in my grow log.Those are good looking plants you have there Rick. ;)

Cheers Randy! :)  That Bhut-Scorpion cross from pods you sent last year is the largest and healthiest seedling I have going right now.

Nice looking plants and pizza!

Tonight must be pizza night! I was at my sons house for his daughter's B-Day and he was making pizza for the kids tonight after we left. LB already had the dough out for our pizza, which I made when we got home. You're better than me, you took pics...LOL

I was so hungry I made the pie and it went away really fast without pics...I almost forgot to add the peppers and mushrooms!

Devv said:
Nice looking plants and pizza!

Tonight must be pizza night! I was at my sons house for his daughter's B-Day and he was making pizza for the kids tonight after we left. LB already had the dough out for our pizza, which I made when we got home. You're better than me, you took pics...LOL

I was so hungry I made the pie and it went away really fast without pics...I almost forgot to add the peppers and mushrooms!

Life seems to do that sometimes... guess we were all on the same wavelength. ;)

With the round 2 seedlings moved down cellar, I've got the round 3 seedlings clustered under the lights upstairs for maximum growth... five Forbing Nagas and one of Randy's Douglahs.
0305171752a.jpg

I just couldn't resist starting a Naga King seedling, and got a late-germinating Alphanerdz Douglah. Call them round 4 and the last of the supers I'll start this year.
0305171753.jpg

The other 4 cells in the Aerogarden are Korean Minari and 3 cells of Italian flat-leaf parsley. I started the sweets in 3.5 inch peat pots yesterday for 9 Kurtovska Kapijas, 6 Hungarian Szegedi-type Paprika and 3 Hungarian Pimientos.

randyp said:
We are winding down the nurseries for 2017.You will have plenty to move to yard-dirt before long Rick.

S'right brother! But it still feels a bit distant yet... the predicted average daytime high temperature for the next ten days is only 36 degrees here. We won't even talk about the nights! Things are moving though. The Maple sap is running when the sun's out. On Saturday my wife and I met a friend at a sugar house nearby for a breakfast of blueberry pancakes and sausage with lots of maple syrup, and finished with a pan of maple sugar on snow with dill pickles. It might sound a bit weird if you've never tried it, but the pickles cleanse your palate between bites of the maple sugar so it doesn't become cloying. http://www.masslive.com/living/index.ssf/2013/03/at_goulds_maple_sugarhouse_people_come_from_all_over_for_those_blueberry_pancakes_and_sugar-on-snow.html

Have a great week all!

We don't get anything like that(syrup) around here Rick,I am friends with a new beekeeper who is hooking me up with honey.I have worked with him for 15 years, He saw how much I was enjoying and growing as a pepper guy that he dove into getting some bees.If there isn't a slight danger in a hobby boredom would overtake us. :dance:     

Ps

I have 2-3 inches of more snow coming Friday night into Saturday.It was friggen 77 degrees Monday.No wonder we get sick.

randyp said:
We don't get anything like that(syrup) around here Rick,I am friends with a new beekeeper who is hooking me up with honey.I have worked with him for 15 years, He saw how much I was enjoying and growing as a pepper guy that he dove into getting some bees.If there isn't a slight danger in a hobby boredom would overtake us. :dance:     

Ps

I have 2-3 inches of more snow coming Friday night into Saturday.It was friggen 77 degrees Monday.No wonder we get sick.

I hear ya 'bout the scarcity of Maple sugar in Iowa Randy. I've heard that folks from the older generations there had Molasses or Sorghum syrup to sweeten things like flapjacks with. Have you heard that? When I was a teenager, my Dad kept 4 hives of Italian-strain Honeybees, and I helped tend them. It's not really hard, but requires a fair outlay of cash to get started. I use about ten pounds of honey every winter to bake our favorite bread... a whole wheat, honey, buttermilk loaf with a tender crumb and crispy crust.

Yeah, early spring is definitely a moving target... tell you what... you knock it down and I'll jump on its head! :P

Looking good my friend. I discovered a small time nursery. They're not open, but she just happened to pick up the phone. I went by and talked to her for about 2hrs. She's the only one that had the containers for the extension soil kit. She said she has a deal with a company to deliver a bio-char mix. Got me excited. She said when my results come back, to come back by and she would go through the information and let my know what's needed. I think she's going to be a good friend. She said if I had time she would give me a crash course in soil ecology and microorganisms. She sounds very informed. Reminds me of you. LOL! Will share anything I learn.

Maple pickles sound delicious!

Keep up the good work and have fun.

Cheers!

Chuck

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking good my friend. I discovered a small time nursery. They're not open, but she just happened to pick up the phone. I went by and talked to her for about 2hrs. She's the only one that had the containers for the extension soil kit. She said she has a deal with a company to deliver a bio-char mix. Got me excited. She said when my results come back, to come back by and she would go through the information and let my know what's needed. I think she's going to be a good friend. She said if I had time she would give me a crash course in soil ecology and microorganisms. She sounds very informed. Reminds me of you. LOL! Will share anything I learn.

Maple pickles sound delicious!

Keep up the good work and have fun.

Cheers!

Chuck

It's always good to have a native guide Chuck! I just picked up an E-book called The Intelligent Gardener - How to Grow Nutrient Dense Food by Steve Solomon. Very informative! And it has a section on interpreting the results of the soil test and figuring out how to keep the nutes in balance to prevent lockout. He also has a book out on soil biology. Ask her if she's heard of him. Cheers!

Genetikx said:
Hey Rick, digging the zoo. Looking great so far!

Cheers Ryan, and welcome... ;)

The first and second round seedlings down cellar are moving along if more slowly than those upstairs.

First round seedlings

Piment Cabri and Giant Yellow CARDI Scorpion
0310170737a_Burst02.jpg

Randy's Bhut Cross and Aji Oro
0310170737b.jpg

The Aji Oro has forked again and continues to produce new flower buds
0310170735.jpg

Second round seedlings

Bonnets and Bonnet Cross
0310170737.jpg

Alphanerdz Douglah
0310170737a.jpg

Third round seedlings in pots
0310170801.jpg

Fourth round King Naga from Spicegeist's seeds. It's growing so fast in the Aerogarden that it'll catch up with the other third round seedlings, and I'll move it into that category.
0310170801_Burst01.jpg

Sadly, the bonus Douglah seedling failed, so the Naga King will be the last for this year. No hooks from the sweet peppers, but it hasn't been a week yet.

TGIF and have a great weekend all!

stickman said:

Cheers Ryan, and welome... ;)

The first and second round seedlings down
cellar are moving along if more slowly than those upstairs.

First round seedlings

Piment Cabri and Giant Yellow CARDI Scorpion
0310170737a_Burst02.jpg

Randy's Bhut Cross and Aji Oro
0310170737b.jpg

The Aji Oro has forked again and continues to produce new flower buds
0310170735.jpg

Second round seedlings

Bonnets and Bonnet Cross
0310170737.jpg

Alphanerdz Douglah
0310170737a.jpg

Third round seedlings in pots
0310170801.jpg

Fourth round King Naga from Spicegeist's seeds. It's growing so fast in the Aerogarden that it'll catch up with the other third round seedlings, and I'll move it into that category.
0310170801_Burst01.jpg

Sadly, the bonus Douglah seedling failed, so the Naga King will be the last for this year. No hooks from the sweet peppers, but it hasn't been a week yet.

TGIF and have a great weekend all!
Nice seedlings! Aji Oro is looking great

Devv said:
Plants look great Rick, growth habit tight and low. Perfect!

Keep it green!

Cheers Scott! Not too much to report since yesterday, but the Onion seeds I sowed last weekend are beginning to sprout. I'm thinking ahead to the County Fair and sowed the Ailsa Craig sweet variety. Supposedly they've grown bulbs up to 5 pounds apiece with it.

stickman said:

Cheers Scott! Not too much to report since yesterday, but the Onion seeds I sowed last weekend are beginning to sprout. I'm thinking ahead to the County Fair and sowed the Ailsa Craig sweet variety. Supposedly they've grown bulbs up to 5 pounds apiece with it.

Wow Rick! We are on such different schedules. I sowed my Onion seeds September 15th, and they hit the dirt January 15th. Done by mid June. I use short day varieties here. My preference is the sweet onions. We grow so many that we use the food processor and freeze them, so when the ones we cured and kept in the bins play out we have some to fall back on.

Back